2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,905 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Are there any "rules" to improvisation?As there are rules to regular composition?
I've been improvising for a while, at first the piece sounds like I don't know what I'm doing, technically that's true because I haven't taken any composition/harmony/counterpoint lessons but then again it also sounds like your average classical piece, like some of the composers' music that inspires me
And it annoys me that I might be creating some sort of chaotic music whereas I am supposed to follow certain composition guides.

Let me give an example, there are no exact rules on how to write a novel, however there are certain elements a good writer respects (captivating plot, realism, character depth, compelling dialogues, language, layout....)
So are there any rules, maybe certain guidelines I ought to follow?

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and upon which it is impossible to remain silent"-Victor Hugo
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Let me tell you a secret.

Composers made up rules 1000 years ago.

Composers broke those rules and made up new ones 900 years ago.

Composers broke those rules and made up new ones 800 years ago.

Composers broke those rules and made up new ones 700 years ago.

You get the idea. Yes, there are rules[1], but which ones would you like to use? There are and have been and continue to be so many systems.

[1] Composers didn't always follow so many rules, and in fact a lot of 'rules' have been written down after the fact, only later after analyzing these composers music: the word 'rule' is a bit of a misnomer at times, because many of these so-called 'rules' didn't even exist for the composers to follow or break : they just wrote their music, and then later composers, wanting to emulate 'the masters', studied older music and extrapolated patterns and tendencies and idioms and called these 'rules', and followed them as 'rules', even though they weren't really ever rules before then.

Sam
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Not sure what you're fully asking, but in order to improvise pieces that sound classical or romantic i.e. pieces similar to Beethoven, Mozart, Liszt, Chopin etc then you will have to have a very profound knowledge of MUSICAL COMPOSITION AND THEORY, this is how composers of yore like Beethoven were able to fluently improvise they knew theory and composition and which progression leads to which cadence and modulation etc and that's the only way you'll ever be a fluent improviser, however if you're talking about atonal or modern works then I suppose there are no rules and feel free to play random notes on the keyboard to your ear's delight

"He who turns himself into a beast, gets rid of the pain of being a man."
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
OK, I will give you some very definite rules for improvisation.

The other folks have given you some very broad responses, but perhaps more concrete tips will be helpful.

These two rules have served me very well:

1. Have a plan

2. Be brief

The first point is most easily acheived when one does have some training in theory and composition. If improvisation is indeed important to you, why don't you take some classes? You have nothing to lose (except a bit of $), and everything to gain.

The second point is something that you learn with experience. I've attended a fair share of improvisation masterclasses and have often observed the wilting critique: "your improvisation was very nice, but would have been better had it ended 10 minutes earlier"!

I
I
We've certainly all heard the stories of angst ridden classical composers endlessly writing and rewriting all sorts of works. The lesson for me in all that is most serious compositions are just one possibility among many possible permutations. and improvisation is just spontaneous re-composition of yet another one of those permuatations. Like any improv you have to more or less stay within the stylistic constraints of the piece and genre you're riffing on or risk getting labelled self-indulgent. In more simple musics the constraints are few and easily mastered. In the classical genre (and I'm assuming that's what you'd like to improvise) there are considerably more rules and you may (as other posters have suggested) want to take some formal theory course(s) in the interest of saving time.

T
Ted Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T
Tell me please, I am curious. What exactly happens at improvisation master classes ? On the face of it I find it hard to imagine how such a thing could exist. Obviously Jarrett wouldn't get on very well at them because he frequently grinds away at one thing for ages.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Spontaneous composition has been a point of constant befuddlement with me as well, as I'm not sure how to construct any type of good or coherent chord progression on demand, or when to modulate into different keys. For the most part I just pick a key and glide through, tons of pedal, and pick out specific textures of the scale and arpeggiate. Very free form, I should study more theory.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Ted:
Tell me please, I am curious. What exactly happens at improvisation master classes ? On the face of it I find it hard to imagine how such a thing could exist.
At an organ improvisation masterclass the lecturer typically presents some tips, such as to try adding a walking bass to a simple melody; try adding a third or a sixth above the bass line, etc. You might be asked to play a well-known melody, and then change it to minor or change the meter - it is all part of stimulating one's musical imagination in a structured way.

That describes only some of the tips, which are very rudimentary; then the class might listen to and critique longer improvisations on a given theme, or they might explore improvising in different compositional styles (maybe contrapuntal, maybe Impressionistic) or in different tonalities (such as using the Messiaenic "modes of limited transposition"). The class usually concludes with a brilliant demonstration by the "master".

I should mention that these classes are not at all uncommon for organists, who are called upon to improvise on a regular basis. In my opinion, the finest of such classes may be found in France - the French have maintained a long tradition of organ improvisation and it is a very exalted art form there.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
C.P.E. Bach's treatise on keyboard playing has a whole section on how to improvise. Lots and lots and lots of rules regarding late baroque/early classical improvisation.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
T
Ted Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T
Thank you for that explanation, Whippen Boy. I imagine the open-minded person could pick up a lot of stimulating ideas at such a session. I shall have to enquire whether such occasions take place here.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
OP Offline
Thanks all for your help, here's a little improvisation in mp3, have a listen and tell me what you think, point out the weaknesses, analyze, any constructive comment is welcome!

oh one more thing, the recording quality is poor and my piano needs tuning so try and ignore those disgraceful details as you listen

http://www.savefile.com/files/173953

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and upon which it is impossible to remain silent"-Victor Hugo

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission