2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Scare myself about an upcoming event.

OP Offline
scare??? O.o?? hmm....I will try.

Currently working on:
1)Schubert Impromptu Op.90-2 and 3
2)Hungarian Rhapsody No.12
3)Etude Op.10-5 and 12
4)Libestraum No.3 and Un sospiro by Liszt
New:
Chopin Ballade No.4
Field's Nocturne No.4
Mozart Sonata in C, K330

"Without Music, Life is A Journey Through a desert" -- Pat Conroy
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, I meant I just keep thinking about a certain goal or commitment that I have, and what the consequences might be if I fail to make that goal or commitment. (i.e. humiliation, self-hatred and disgust, and disappointment.)

That usually motivates me real quick!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes I know the feeling. Working against a deadline can really get your butt in gear!

Well actually, the infamous Curtis teacher Isabelle Vengerova used fear (a lot of it) to motivate her students, and judging from her students, Barber, Lukas Foss, Leonard Bernstein, Gary Graffman to name a few, it was extremely effective. That is, if you disregard the many students seen running from her studio, crying... I wish I had a teacher like that (I think) because I can easily get by my lessons with my teacher without practicing and she won't even notice. I still find it in myself to be lazy even with something (like my eastman audition in three days) coming up.... Stinks.

Help people. www.thehungersite.com
Go and click the button. That's it. Just do it.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
In all the years I have played the piano one thing stands out, that is I have never run out of motivation. I have been denied the opportunity to play many times in life and that is bad for me.

I was in the RAF at the end of the war and went to Singapore then to Burma and back to Singapore, (Changi before it became a civilian aerodrome.)

So all in all, apart from playing a bit in a deserted concert hall in Burma I had to wait until I got back home and was released from the RAF.

I had to then spend my money I received on my demob to buy another piano because when my parents moved they sold the piano,

I then got married at 26 in 1954 and got a new upright piano for a wedding present. So from then on I practiced and played regularly and still do.

I think it is really sad to see people that reached grade 5 or more and then lost interest in the piano, now that puzzles me. I know we don't need to read music to play jazz and that is my style. But I often long to play classical. But cannot and I'm too immersed in jazz to change and start learning to read.

I think it's difficult to advise people that loose motivation I would think that tis is only a short lapse and you will soon be back in the groove.

By the way I still have some old 78 records I bought in Singapore in 1947/8.

I also met some of the nicest girls ever, over there.

Alan

OP Offline
I treat it like a leisure to play piano cos I am not studying in a college or whatever music school. It's just a piano center to learn something extra. Well...I know its real bad and sometimes I feel laid back and like no goal or something.

Schumann: Wow.humiliation, self-hatred and disgust, and disappointment. Thanks for these words. hmm...I will keep it in my mind. smile

op30no3: I also wish to have a teacher like this! Making things extra interesting and boosting our spirit to drive the extra miles. I really hate the feeling of laziness but it tends to happen at times. Maybe this is just the way of life.

smile

Currently working on:
3)Etude Op.10-5 and 12
New:
Chopin Ballade No.4
Field's Nocturne No.4
Mozart Sonata in C, K330

OP Offline
Hello Alan, I almost miss your post, lucky I posted and got your post on page two. I didn't notice page 2 at first hehe :p

Yeah, this is the feeling I have for myself several years after I quited lesson and practice lesser as time goes by. In my subconscious mind, I always feel music in me, remembering how I used to play and my fingers move to the music. Man...this is causing me pain especially to my heart over the years. Until recently, I decided, yes, I must go back, I cannot leave my music hanging without any use. I still dono what I will end up with, but I would like to enjoy every moment I have with my piano and music.
Many of my friends, sister and relative, all quitted piano and never spend time to play again. I haven't seen anyone really excel themself in piano and with the low population in this field it is really disappointing. I don't want to get influenced by this kind of thinking and discouragement. I dono what kind of heart or mindset should I accustom myself to in order to ground my determination as well as at the same time motivating myself to go on with what I have to do now.

Currently working on:
3)Etude Op.10-5 and 12
New:
Chopin Ballade No.4
Field's Nocturne No.4
Mozart Sonata in C, K330

A
A
"balance,..."

I have never once fallen off of the bench... so I think I graduate to step two! :p

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I feel that it's imperitive to constantly get in lots of practice because with my learning it is a unusual way but one hours practice equals a certain amount of improvement in ability. So I know it's worth the time spent and I usually end up with a great deal of happiness.

I may assure you all that it is not a drudge but a craving for the music. A challenge and a soulful experience.

If you fail to get that responce then you are in the wrong art form.

Alan

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Do what I did 3 days ago,

Join the PW practice club log,
resolve to catch up with LisztAddict by gaining on him by a little everyday.

You'll stay motivated for the next couple of years!

laugh laugh laugh

--c5

OP Offline
Swingal: "I may assure you all that it is not a drudge but a craving for the music. A challenge and a soulful experience." THanks, I will take it as a challenge to myself. Just omit the drudging, NO more of this" smile

Cerulean: Practice Club?? Where is it? LisztAddict? O.o?

Currently working on:
3)Etude Op.10-5 and 12
New:
Chopin Ballade No.4
Field's Nocturne No.4
Mozart Sonata in C, K330

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by Believe in Yourself:
Cerulean: Practice Club?? Where is it? LisztAddict? O.o?
You can find it here

Greg
P
P
Perhaps it may seem a little extreme but if I find I am slacking or not being chock full of motivation I will take rather desperate measures.
Organize sheet music, move around furniture, refrain from any news media for a week—something drastic and then I am sure to practice and be very very very concentrated on the task at hand because then I have a *need* to play the piano rather than simply an obligation.

Or, perhaps a whole lot easier: wait.

repertoire for the moment:
bach: prelude and fugue in b-, book i (WTC)
mozart - sonata in D+, k. 576
schumann (transc. liszt) - widmung
coulthard - image astrale
OP Offline
Thanks pilgrim: So I will treat like its a need to practice ^_~* good! "It's A Need. Not Obligation" =)

Currently working on:
3)Etude Op.10-5 and 12
New:
Chopin Ballade No.4
Field's Nocturne No.4
Mozart Sonata in C, K330

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
My teacher has a unique, disapproving "look" when things are not going well - enough to scare Attila the Hun...

OP Offline
Auntie Lynn: Disapproving Look! (-_-)' hehe....

Currently working on:
3)Etude Op.10-5 and 12
New:
Chopin Ballade No.4
Field's Nocturne No.4
Mozart Sonata in C, K330

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Debussy20:
It is a great book written by Chuan C. Chang. It is available online for free on his official website here: http://members.aol.com/chang8828/contents.htm

Scroll down till you get to "How To Use This Book"

I read almost 100 pages last night. It is a great book.

Matt
I have to agree, Matt. That book IS extremely valuable. I'm quite a bit older than you, and fall into the category of those who learned thumb-under, for example. It can be relearned, but may take some effort.

You're in an enviable position because you're still at an age whereat you're able to memorize as much as possible and learn good technique early on. I'm glad that you found that book.

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
OP Offline
Gerg: Hello, how are you? well, I don't think age matters...we have equal ability. Keep it up! Don't Give Up! ^_~* All the best!

Its embarassing to say that I haven't start to read it yet. sigH!...maybe tonight I will start with at least a page =P

Cheers! ^_^*

Currently working on:
3)Etude Op.10-5 and 12
New:
Chopin Ballade No.4
Field's Nocturne No.4
Mozart Sonata in C, K330

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I am usually self-motivated to practise the piano for whatever time im supposed to. On occasional bad days,ill usually wait till i feel better so i sometimes might end up practising even till 12 midnight. Learning a new piece that is challenging usually gives me motivation, one thing that fits really well,is that my teacher is able to read my mind,so she will give me a new piece when she knows that I need it or once in a while, i will make a request ,myself and she will evaluate.

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission