2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#430144 11/25/08 04:54 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I've been playing Rondo alla turca for 3 months, and it is still far away from good level.

I did everything. Hands seperate millions of time, slow practice... Even at moderate tempo i make many mistakes...

Ironic thing is that i've played many faster and harder pieces (right now im playing schubert impromptu op.90 no.2 and i have no problems at all...)

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
The piano music of Mozart is some of the more difficult music to play well.

If you have been putting in as much time and effort on this movement as you say, then I suggest you not "drop" it, but "put it aside" for the time being. Sometimes excessive work trying to get something right which just isn't going right is counterproductive. Leaving it alone for a month or more and coming back to it later might be a good move at the moment.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
P
P
I vote that you put the Rondo in the closet for a few weeks and then try again.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
thanks for advice.

Does "puting it in the closet" means no playing at all? Or just no practice? I beleive that in one month i would forget a lot...

Anyway, i am defenetly not going to practice it... its too frustrating...

Online Content
Are you working by yourself or with a teacher! Without a teacher your practice methods and solutions to specitc problems for this piece may not be the best.

GreenRain;

I can relate to your struggles with that particular piece....I spent a great deal of time on it myself. Altough I finally reached a moderate level of proficiency at it, I rarely play it mistake free.....

Tha advice of taking a break from it is sound...maybe not for weeks, but certainly several days. One can build up kind of a mental block with certain pieces..."alla turca" may be a major jump for you from a technical standpoint. I have set several aside and come back to them several days or even several WEEKS late. The improvement in technique through steady practice during that time helped me deal with the technical challenges of the piece when I finally picked it up again...

I remember your performance of Chopin's #7 that you posted a while back. You've got a nice touch. Just keep at it and be patient, and it'll all fall into place. thumb

Play skillfully!.....Psalm 33:3
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i would drop the piece now and go back to it later. i have dropped a lot of pieces in past few years because some pieces just took me too long time and i was making little or no progress on those.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Pianoloverus: Im working by myself, however teacher gave me this piece to play it over summer, and she marked all important things, which technique i have to use, how i have to practice it....

kentm:

thanks for you answer too...

Sometimes i just feel so frustrated...Like today... i played through my repertoire and i played badly...i totally screwed up timing in moonlight and fur elise, i made lots of mistake in mozart fantasia and in bach invention... It's just so hard to keep pieces in shape, practice new one and going to school at the same time...

Sorry for off topic...

S
S
This brings up a related topic, how long is long that a piece should be dropped or put aside ?

My current teacher told me his students in the university will prepare year end audition/exam pieces for the whole year which is their main focus besides some other materials they may need to learn. So by comparison, is 3 months in this case for the OP really taking too long ?

Which brings up another aspect, is the problem due purely to technique that you can't play through the entire piece without tiring or playing wrong notes since you didn't elaborate what you mean by mistake, so I assume you mean playing wrong notes. Your teacher should be able to tell.

My teacher assess my ability to play a piece in two major aspects. How quickly I can get the notes learned im my hands and he is patient with me. Next he will encourage me to play through entire piece as soon as I can manage and assess if my hands tire out at the end. If so, he concentrates on the causes and devices some technical exercises for me to practise. If this is not going any where only then he will suggest me to drop or put it aside.

Have a good discussion with a good and patient teacher is invaluable at least in my case.

Online Content
Originally posted by GreenRain:
Pianoloverus: Im working by myself, however teacher gave me this piece to play it over summer, and she marked all important things, which technique i have to use, how i have to practice it....
But if you're not making good progress now, assuming you're presently taking lessons again, why not ask her for help?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Let it rest for a while. You may be pleasantly surprised when you come back to it. smile

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
Sometimes putting a piece aside is very good medicine, I've done it myself numerous times. Just out of curiousity, what sections are giving you trouble? This was a favorite piece of mine as a kid and played well into adult years, if there are specific areas you need help with just let us know.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I was working on a piece over the summer with similar frustrations. Much more demanding than I had expected it to be, and I considered "dropping it" several times, but I kept at it. While all the notes were there, it's almost like I wasn't comfortable playing it.

Though it wasn't a planned break, I moved at the end of the summer, and didn't touch a keyboard for over a month. By the time my piano finally got here, I sat down and I was impressed myself at how much my comfort level had improved when I tried playing the piece the first couple times.

A break might prove beneficial. Good luck!

Daniel

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
B
Bex Offline
B
Many Mozart sonatas are quite difficult to play cleanly and with a light touch. What parts of the rondo are you having difficulty with?

I would work on improving your technique: try Hanon, exercises 20 and on.

On the piano stand:
Widmung
Partita in c minor
Jardins sous la pluie
M
M
The great pieces you will probably revisit many times in your life, each time being a bit better or able to add more to it. Don't expect to do it all the first time! Take the break and return to it with a refreshed mind (and better technique laugh ).

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for so many posts!

I talked with my teacher today, and she agreed that i should drop it.

I had most problems on the last part of the piece and it A-major section. But mistakes were also in other parts of piece

I will rather work on some bach's preludes and beethoven's pathetique smile

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission