2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 4 invisible), 1,182 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
jodi Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
that looks kind of like an asterisk, or an x - and it means to do something like go up a half step, or down a half step, or something like that - I'm trying to read through Schumann's Romance, and I'm not sure I'm doing it right. Thanks!
smile Jodi (the theory dope)

C
C
A little "x" is a double sharp - that is, go up 2 half-steps from the natural note. I hope that's the one you mean! smile

Allie

"Sing praise to the God of Jacob! Start the music and beat the tambourines; play pleasant music on the harps and the lyres." Psalm 81:1-2.
jodi Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
So, if the note is already sharp, I just go up one half step, right? It sounds right everywhere but in the 7th measure, and then it just didn't sound quite right, so I wasn't sure if I was doing it correctly. What's the reason for notating with a double sharp? Thanks! smile Jodi

Dan Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Jodi,

The double sharp accidental is always applied to the natural of the note, just like any other accidental. Same end result of course as "up a 1/2 step from a sharp".

According to my teacher, the use of the double sharp has to do with keeping the "spelling" of the manuscript in sync with the key the piece is written in.

Dan

M
M
Double sharps and double flats are used to raise or lower, respectively, a note that is already a sharp or flat in the particular key you are playing in. The idea of using a double sharp or double flat is to accurately indicate which note of the scale is being raised or lowered. That's why you use a double sharp rather than just notating the next highest note on the keyboard. If you don't understand this, it really doesn't matter unless you want to know music theory.

Mike Cohan
St. Charles, MO
(right across the line from St. Louis County)
1910 Steinway Model K
1921 Steinway Model M
I have 176 keys total.
jodi Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks, guys. smile Jodi

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
In the music of Galina Ustvolskaya, you can find triple flats and triple sharps as well. This is due to her being used to write chromatic scales in a diatonic way.

I can imagine someone has used quadruple flats and sharps as well.

I have an ice cream. I cannot mail it, for it will melt.
M
M
What's the notation for a triple sharp? Is it ### or is it #X or is it X#?

Mike Cohan
St. Charles, MO
(right across the line from St. Louis County)
1910 Steinway Model K
1921 Steinway Model M
I have 176 keys total.
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
triple sharp = extra hot salsa!

No?

Sorry! laugh

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
C
C
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a reason that the double sharp is an X instead of ##? The double flat is expressed that way(with the lopsided 'b' of course)

Who Says Classical is Dead?
----------------------------------
Friend: What's your favorite song?
ME: Hungarian Rhapsody #2.
Friend: That stupid Queen song?!?
ME: Ugh!
C
C
I've seen ## as well as x to mean double sharp...and as for flats, I've also seen bb with a slanting line through the flats to connect them. I don't know why double flat doesn't have its own separate symbol like the sharp does... (?)

Allie

"Sing praise to the God of Jacob! Start the music and beat the tambourines; play pleasant music on the harps and the lyres." Psalm 81:1-2.
Originally posted by jodi:
that looks kind of like an asterisk, or an x - and it means to do something like go up a half step, or down a half step, or something like that - I'm trying to read through Schumann's Romance, and I'm not sure I'm doing it right. Thanks!
smile Jodi (the theory dope)
x is double sharp. Just go up a half step from a sharp. You're doing fine! smile

A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of. - Burt Bacharach
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
jodi,

As explained above, there are a couple of reasons why the X (double-sharp) must be used. I'll add an example just for grins. . .

Let's say you're in C# major, everything is sharped (c#-d#-e#-f#-g#-a#-b#-c#). Composer will move to the dominant (up a perfect 5th), so we can expect to go to G# major somewhere during the course of the piece. The spelling of G# major is: g#-a#-b#-c#-d#-e#-fX-g#

The double-sharp is because you must keep it alphabetical (logical within the system of music theory), or the theory gods will grow to anger, then who knows what will happen. Why can't the G# major be spelled as A-flat major? Because of 5th relationship between keys. G# major is related to C# major, the upper tetrachord of C# major becomes the lower in the next related key (circle of 5ths). A-flat major has nothing at all to do with C# major.

Or. . . spelling a chord. Must be stacked like a snowman (thirds) on the page (on the staff, when put into root position). For example, play B-flat,D,F,A-flat (B-flat 7th chord).

This chord could also be spelled:
A#,CX,E#,G#

Sounds the same, but spelled differently, depending on what key you're in.

Hope the above makes some sense. Hard to explain without the ability to show notes on the staff!

smile

jodi Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by rvaga:
... you must keep it alphabetical (logical within the system of music theory), or the theory gods will grow to anger, then who knows what will happen.
Good enough reason for me. wink laugh Jodi

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by ClassicalPianoLisztner:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a reason that the double sharp is an X instead of ##? The double flat is expressed that way(with the lopsided 'b' of course)
A ## is a 1/4 step up from a #.

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Rvaga:

I must admit to being an absolute dud at writing this sort of thing out properly. I make things up using all sorts of chords and all sorts of keys no problems - fluent as the day is long - but writing them out - oh dear !

I have to admit to being thoroughly incorrect and lazy for the sake of clarity most of the time and, for example, writing an essential D major sound in a Db context as D natural, F sharp and A natural rather than E double flat, G flat and B double flat.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well, not quite. For example, in Chopin's Waltz in c# minor, the section in the relative major is notated in Db major rather than C# major, just because it's easier to read. There *is* a relationship between C# major and Db major - they're enharmonic equivalents. In your example, if the composer was modulating into the dominant for just a couple of bars, yes, he would use a double-sharp, but if he was going to be in the dominant for a whole section, dollars to donuts he would notate it in the enharmonic equivalent.
Respectfully,
Boseymama
What is the relative major of C-sharp minor?? (-20)

The "B" section is of course in D-flat major, after the double bar and the key change, which is indeed a complete SECTION of music, not an internal key change or a transient modulation.

B
B
rvaga, yes, I misspoke, should've said "parallel" instead of "relative." Still, I believe my point stands. Here's a better example: Schubert's Impromptu Op. 90 #4. It begins in ab minor. In measure 19 it seems to go into b minor, which, you would say, has nothing to do with ab minor. But it (the b minor section) must be understood as cb minor, just notated in an easier way. And there is no double bar, it is not an entire section, it is only a transient modulation.

Thanks for listening.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by mrenaud:
In the music of Galina Ustvolskaya, you can find triple flats and triple sharps as well. This is due to her being used to write chromatic scales in a diatonic way.

I can imagine someone has used quadruple flats and sharps as well.
I don't wish to resurrect a dead thread but who publishes her music? I have been looking for her piano sonatas for some time now and have come up with nothing. Is there a European publisher?

"The older the fiddle, the sweeter the music"~ Augustus McCrae
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Sikorski, if I'm not mistaken.

I have an ice cream. I cannot mail it, for it will melt.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission