2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
33 members (Chouca, cgeronimo, blueviewlaguna., Boboulus, CyberGene, Compañero, Beowulf, 7 invisible), 370 guests, and 408 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
sweaty palms
#425017 12/01/05 04:33 AM
G
OP Offline
G
My new and serious condition just started a couple months ago and has made my life heck because I am a very serious and diligent piano student.
It appears that my hands (palms and fingers) and feet have began to develop a moisture. Like sweat except it doesn't come when I'm active. It comes all the time. Some times are worse than others. Since my fingers and palms sweat (its a light moisture like a greasiness) my fingers slip around a lot on the keys no matter what I may be playing, and they also get cold very easily (because they are already wet. I looked up stuff on the internet and it would appear that the problem is called hyperhydrosis or palmar hydrosis.
Has anyone had this problem or at least something similar. This is really a hard time for a hard working piano student like myself. Its the only reason I would actually avoid practicing, performing, or even sometimes shaking hands with people.
Thanks for listening and/or responding.
peace

Re: sweaty palms
#425018 12/01/05 09:51 AM
AJB Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Don't waste time with self diagnosis and fretting, see a doctor.

Currently playing 2017 C212 with carbon fibre soundboard, WNG action. Working on Bach, Beethoven, Grieg mainly.
#425019 12/01/05 10:59 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
johnnymoon is an excellent source of dr. advice (i would ignore my suggestion in light of his..) I've also seen professional pianists that keep a hankerchief in their laps..

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/2/3090.html

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
#425020 12/01/05 12:14 PM
B
B
I have the same problem. Hankerchief's work to a degree, just enough so you can start working on a piece with your hands dry but then literally 10 seconds later your slipping again.

Theres a few things that can be done in my visits to the doctor. First they'll most likely prescribe you Drysol. For me it works, you put it on your hands every night and then put plastic wrap and gloves around your hands to keep it on. It's extremely uncomfortable to sleep with and it doesn't even work extremely well, but it's something.

I sweat when I'm not playing piano as well as when I am, but mine is aggravated by thinking about it. I have time where I don't think about it at all and I'm completely dry and then the second I think "hey my hands are dry" I get a tingly feeling in my hands and I end up wet and literally dripping for the rest of the day. When I'm playing music in front of people it's always a problem whether I use Drysol or not because I always think about it then, although the Drysol does minimize the problem.

Another thing you can do(which I would love to do) is surgery. From what I have learned from it, it's covered by most insurance and is minimally invasive. The surgeon will cut a tiny little sliver in your chest and they will go in and cut the nerve that causes the sweating on your palms. It apparently works perfectly, the only problem is that you then sweat more in your thigh area(which wouldn't bother me). You can leave the hospital the same day as the surgery is done usually so it's supposed to be extremely easy. That's just what I learned from talking to doctors you should really talk to one about it. I haven't had it done yet because although most insurances cover it mine doesn't frown and it's around a 10,000 dollar procedure.

You can also get botox injected in your hands every 6 months which is supposed to work. But I was worried I wouldn't be able to play as well if I had that done seems like it might stiffen the hand a bit.

Theres one more popular way. You put your hands in this liquid (might just be water wink ) and then they electrically shock your hands like 30 times. It's supposed to be painful and u have to get it done like every month and it's expensive(so I never even considered it).

Anyways good luck with that, I know it can be horrible. The worst thing you can do though is get mad about it, because then it just gets worse.

Hope I helped I really have sympathy for anyone who has this because it really makes it impossible to play.

#425021 12/01/05 03:21 PM
M
M
i've had two friends with the problem...theyre not pianists though. what i can say is that one of em got the surgery and his hands are ungodly dry all the time now. they feel pretty chalky and weird. but he's very happy. and id prefer to shake his dry hand than those sweaty palms...not trying to be insensitive, sorry.

anyway, i think he told me he sweats alot from his feet now, but anyway, the surgery was not too difficult or invasive in any way. just my 2 cents. good luck.

#425022 12/01/05 05:31 PM
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
You may want to have your thyroid checked. Thyroid inbalance - too high as in hyperthyroidism can cause sweating as well as a multitude of other problems including tremors, heart rhythm issues, etc. This is, however, easily controlled through medication, and sometimes surgery. Do a google search on sweaty palms, thyroid. This will give you some of the answers.

The reason I know about this is because a few years ago I underwent a left-side thyroidectomy. In search of something else, during an ultra-sound, a nodule was discovered, and this lead to other tests. Since the surgery, I've had no ill effects, and even put on a few pounds where I couldn't before.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
#425023 12/02/05 03:07 PM
G
OP Offline
G
ThEmUsIcMaNBJ -

I gotta say you were right on the money with your response. That is EXACTLY what I am going through. It was almost as if I was saying that to someone else. Thank you for showing me I'm not alone in this. Although I still feel very very helpless. And since I'm a serious pianist, most doctors, teachers, and people in general, don't comprehend the seriousness of my situation.
I take it you've had this condition for a while (at least 2 years). I read somewhere that it was a permanent thing that people just have to live with. Which sucks. What have you done about it since your initial post or what do you plan to do about it.?
Thanks again for your response.

P.S.: are there really such things as piano gloves to wear while you play?

#425024 12/02/05 04:21 PM
Try putting some chalk on your hands. That's that mountain climbers do so that they dont fall of cliffs if they slip, so it should be reliable.

sweet, sweet harmony
#425025 12/02/05 08:31 PM
B
B
Originally posted by godswiph:
ThEmUsIcMaNBJ -

I gotta say you were right on the money with your response. That is EXACTLY what I am going through. It was almost as if I was saying that to someone else. Thank you for showing me I'm not alone in this. Although I still feel very very helpless. And since I'm a serious pianist, most doctors, teachers, and people in general, don't comprehend the seriousness of my situation.
I take it you've had this condition for a while (at least 2 years). I read somewhere that it was a permanent thing that people just have to live with. Which sucks. What have you done about it since your initial post or what do you plan to do about it.?
Thanks again for your response.

P.S.: are there really such things as piano gloves to wear while you play?
Well I don't know how bad it is for you so I don't know if this works. But like I said for me it's really really effected my the mental aspect of it. Like for instance this week it hasn't been a problem for me even a little bit because it hasn't been on my mind. But after I'm done with this post I'm sure I'm goona start dripping again wink

I've had the problem for a long time but it never really started bugging me until I started getting seriously into piano. It's probably been about 3 or 4 years now. Since I started it has really been a problem so I think about it more and it agravates it more so it gets worse.

Really you should go talk to your doctor and get a prescription of Drysol. It really does work, not only physically but it gives you at least an idea that your condition is being treated so you don't think about it as much. Don't give up on it after the first night, I need to put it on every night for a couple weeks until I can notice a difference. Your hands when your not sweating literally flake because they are so dry. I still sweat but it takes longer to come out sometimes therefore giving me more time to get it out of my mind.

Really I'm getting pretty good at not thinking about it so much. That has really been my greatest tool to get over it is to get it out of my head. It's really really hard and I know it's not the thing you want to hear but it works.

Also you should really look into that surgery because it is supposed to really work well.

I've actually heard it gets worse around your late teens(I'm 19) and then gets much better in your 30's. I don't know how true that is but I'm looking forward to it laugh

Don't feel helpless, theres plenty you can do just think of it as something new to overcome, like tackling a new piece, or finding a new way to practice. This is just trying to stay focused on the task at hand(no pun intended) rather than your problem.

All these home remedies (I've heard them all) chalk, gel, anti-persperent, baby powder etc etc... Don't realy work because it is not a natural sweating. This kind of sweating is so severe it literally goes through anything. Imagine you start to get a tingly feeling in your hands and literally 5 seconds later you are dripping with sweat. DRIPPING! I don't think people understand that part. You have to see it. You could literally put the persperation from your hands into a jar and look at it. It's not a little bit it's A LOT! Go get a handful of water and right before you touch the piano dump it out in the trash and immediately try to play the piano. That's how it is for us, the only problem is it doesn't dry like it does on normal hands. In a freezing cold room u still sweat, if a fan is blowing on your hands you still sweat. It's not normal by any terms.

Once I get off this HMO the first thing I'm goona spring for is that surgery!

#425026 12/03/05 12:25 PM
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
PALMER HYDROSIS

"m&m's that "melt in your mouth, not in your hand"...twasn't true in my case when I was in my teens and early twenties...

My hands could melt anything, m&m's, even the paint off of small Christmas lightbulbs (colored ones) - I remember THAT happening. The color paint had come off the light bulbs, apparently, because my hands were dripping wet. laugh

drip, drip drip, yes, and to the point where you develop painful blisters on hands. Moving my fingers HURT. Finally went to a doctor when the blisters extended to my wrists and started traveling up my forearms. eek

There was a thread about this about a year ago, may still be able to find. There was some helpful info there as I recall.

A LOT of it is about what's happening in your psyche, i think; you're "auto-pilot" is on "stress" - even though you may not be aware of it.

This DOES seem to get better as you age, but still is reactive to your state of mind.

Try some DEEP BREATHING. YOGA. Something that will help you CHILL OUT.

Jeanne W

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/8776.html#000000
#425027 12/03/05 12:41 PM
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
boomerpizza:

You say "try putting some chalk on your hands..."

It's nice of you to offer that suggestions but

HA HA HA AH A HH A HAH AHA A

Those coping with this kind of thing know that chalk will be HISTORY in half a millisecond!

laugh mad

You just DUNT understand the POWER of it.

eek

Jeanne W

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/8776.html#000000
#425028 12/04/05 11:29 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
yeah, i get it now and then too, and, combined with nerves, they are THE TWO most frustrating things about playing juries, concerts, and competitions. The people who don't feel nerves and don't get sweaty or cold hands have a distinct edge, and it's hard not to be jealous!

Oh well, just have to keep settling into it I guess.

#425029 12/07/05 07:57 PM
G
OP Offline
G
I experience physical pain (as well as emotional right?)on my feet and on my hands. The condition I have is very painful and, overall, is getting exponentially worse everyday, although I haven't reach the point where it is dripping, but you can see the moisture on my hands and even watch the sweat as it comes out and my socks get very damp as well. Are any of you feeling pain with your condition?

#425030 12/07/05 08:21 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by ThEmUsIcMaNBJ:
...Hope I helped I really have sympathy for anyone who has this because it really makes it impossible to play.
You have more sympathy than you think, as this is a sympathetic nerve problem.

Not to make fun of a very annoying problem, though. Your listing of the various treatment choices is very enlightening.

One inexpensive thing, not mentioned, that might be of help. Office supply stores have a substance which you can touch your fingers to, which makes them slightly sticky, so that one can sort papers more quickly. This might be worth trying.

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
#425031 12/08/05 02:49 AM
G
G
You're not alone, Godswiph. My sweaty palms don't make my hands slip very much, but it is very annoying, and I always play better with dry hands because it's more comfortable.

Just thinking about this has made my hands start to sweat.

What makes it worse is that I play bass guitar as well as piano, and sweaty hands KILL bass strings.

My solution is to use calming techniques. Before playing every song and before the hard parts in songs, take a very deep breath and let it out with a noisy sigh. I find that my breathing is not as normal and regular when I play, so if I don't have enough oxygen, of course I won't play as well.

I'm not sure how well it works, but I hear that blowing warm air from your mouth onto your thumb will help yourself calm down.

Here's another solution I've heard to help us sweaty palm people: anti-perspirant. I hear it works, though I've never tried it. Can anyone verify this?

Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
http://www.orangetreesamples.com
#425032 12/09/05 12:31 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
interesting... i'll have to give it a shot!

#425033 12/09/05 01:38 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
And while we've been discussing this, Google has been reading our posts, and helpfully placed these ads at the bottom of the screen:
[img]http://homepage.mac.com/jamesorr/.Pictures/JEO/GoogleAds.jpg [/img]

Can't figure out why the image isn't showing up, but enter the URL in your browser and it should work.

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai KS1F or K15
by Onus - 10/24/20 01:04 AM
Handspans of great pianists
by WeakLeftHand - 10/24/20 12:25 AM
Yamaha Baby Grand GB1K for $2,500 ?
by trooplewis - 10/24/20 12:22 AM
Moved and hard to adjust
by Sebs - 10/23/20 10:29 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,373
Posts3,016,514
Members99,000
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission