Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
79 registered members (bsntn99, cmb13, Chernobieff Piano, anotherscott, Bruce In Philly, Beowulf, Blues beater, 17 invisible), 1,525 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
my hand is small #424277
08/20/03 02:15 AM
08/20/03 02:15 AM
Mars
P
PioPia Offline OP
PioPia  Offline OP
P

Mars
hello everyone..

I have a concern, i'm just in my 4 yrs playing the piano. My hand can only reach 9 notes the max.

I was wonder if small hand really have a disadvantage in playing certain music pieces that required a bunch of notes playing at the same time ?

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: my hand is small #424278
08/20/03 02:46 AM
08/20/03 02:46 AM
Kalamazoo, MI
gxprice Offline
gxprice  Offline

Kalamazoo, MI
Originally posted by PioPia:
hello everyone..

I have a concern, i'm just in my 4 yrs playing the piano. My hand can only reach 9 notes the max.

I was wonder if small hand really have a disadvantage in playing certain music pieces that required a bunch of notes playing at the same time ?
I'm the same and my answer is "Yes", it does make a difference. Many pieces I like (not to mention jazz pieces - specifically the bass) use many 10th's which although you can fake to some extent, doesn't sound the same.

Regards,

Gary.

Re: my hand is small #424279
08/20/03 04:30 AM
08/20/03 04:30 AM
Los Angeles, California
Zephyr Offline
Zephyr  Offline

Los Angeles, California
I don't think hand size really matters in classical music terms. It's all in the wrists. My girlfriend could play chopin's first etude pretty well and she could only reach an octave.
Maybe in some pieces it would be difficult to have small hands (Rachmaninoff & liszt pieces in particular), but the majority of the pieces don't require to reach tenths.

To be a real philosopher all that
is necessary is to hate some one
else's type of thinking- William James
Re: my hand is small #424280
08/20/03 06:23 AM
08/20/03 06:23 AM
Kalamazoo, MI
gxprice Offline
gxprice  Offline

Kalamazoo, MI
Originally posted by Zephyr:
I don't think hand size really matters in classical music terms. It's all in the wrists. My girlfriend could play chopin's first etude pretty well and she could only reach an octave.
Maybe in some pieces it would be difficult to have small hands (Rachmaninoff & liszt pieces in particular), but the majority of the pieces don't require to reach tenths.
Yes, Rachmaninoff and Liszt are the composers I have a tendency toward frown

Gary.

Re: my hand is small #424281
08/20/03 11:31 AM
08/20/03 11:31 AM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BDB  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B

Oakland
Rachmaninov had big hands, Liszt had small ones, about the size of yours. If your hands are small, you need to practice rolling chords, as opposed to those who have larger hands and don't learn to do it as well. So small hands can be an advantage. Work on Chopin's Op. 10 #11.

Semipro Tech
Re: my hand is small #424282
08/20/03 01:46 PM
08/20/03 01:46 PM
El Cajon, CA
88Key_PianoPlayer Offline
1000 Post Club Member
88Key_PianoPlayer  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

El Cajon, CA
Originally posted by BDB:
Rachmaninov had big hands, Liszt had small ones, about the size of yours. If your hands are small, you need to practice rolling chords, as opposed to those who have larger hands and don't learn to do it as well. So small hands can be an advantage. Work on Chopin's Op. 10 #11.
I can reach a 10th on white keys, but not a black to white key, for example B-flat to D. Is there any way I could learn how to play double octave sixteenth or eighth notes in the bass?

(editing hoping the pic in my sig will update)

Associate Member - Piano Technicians Guild
1950 (#144211) Baldwin Hamilton
1956 (#167714) Baldwin Hamilton
You can right-click my avatar for an option to view a larger version.
Re: my hand is small #424283
08/20/03 08:50 PM
08/20/03 08:50 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Auckland, New Zealand
I'm pleased I can play tenths comfortably because I enjoy playing stride and things such as the Morton and Waller transcriptions. In general though I don't think it serves any purpose to dwell on limitations of this type. Even in stride a small hand isn't the end of the world. Billy Mayerl and James Scott both had small hands but it certainly didn't stop them making their marks in swing and ragtime respectively.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: my hand is small #424284
08/20/03 11:40 PM
08/20/03 11:40 PM
C
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member
CrashTest  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C

You can still play well even if you have a small hand. Having larger hands is better though, I can reach a 12th with my left hand and an 11th with my right. (Fairly comfortably). Although I have yet to see any limitations to a larger hand, some people may find playing Bach and Mozart a bit harder, because the fingers are playing so close together. I do not find this articulation problem to be much of an issue though, as my fingers are not extremely long, they just span out well.

Re: my hand is small #424285
08/21/03 01:08 AM
08/21/03 01:08 AM
Canada
katie_dup1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
katie_dup1  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Canada
PioPia,

I also have the same concerns as you. I'm 40+ yrs old & wear a youths' size large golf glove -- basically short stubby fingers. I can play a 9th (it's a bit challenging) & wonder how I'll cope as I progress in my studies. For instance the 1st movement of the Moonlight Sonata is somewhat awkward in a couple places for me (I'm working on it) -- & I wonder how I'll have to adapt when I progress to play 3 & 4 note chords that stretch more than an octave or (gasp!!) have to play a run of them quickly. My teacher just smiles when I bring this up -- She says "You'll adapt -- all of us with small hands do" (She's a fantastic player BTW). She has also mentioned Rachmaninoff as one having big hands, so I suppose there are limitations for us. Conversely, I sometimes wonder if any huge wrestler sized men with fat fingers & big hands manage to play quick &/or "noodle" fingered classical works (I don't want to stereotype anyone, but the word "wrestler" comes to mind). I saw someone like this pound out a few catchy gospel pieces (i.e. lots of chords) once & I pondered how he'd approach something like say...."Flight of the Bumble Bee". Now, for those of you who know, teach etc., what are the limitations of huge hands & fat fingers?

Re: my hand is small #424286
08/21/03 01:37 AM
08/21/03 01:37 AM
C
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member
CrashTest  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C

Katie, Anton Rubinstein said that his stubby fingers sometimes would get stuck in between black keys. I actually read somewhere, (Maybe in the book Conversations with Claudio Arrau, but I forget) that the most technically capable hand is the moderately fat one with medium sized fingers. Godowsky, who looked Buddha like, and was opposite in appearance to the taller Rachmaninoff, had one of the most phenomenal techniques in piano playing.

Re: my hand is small #424287
08/21/03 01:48 AM
08/21/03 01:48 AM
Jacksonville, Florida
J
Jim Volk Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jim Volk  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

Jacksonville, Florida
PioPia, I knew there was life on Mars.

I have to respectfully disagree with Zephyr, who said
I don't think hand size really matters in classical music terms.
Ashkenazy has small hands, and will tell you that although your technic may be able to partly compensate for the resulting deficiencies, there are still notes you have no choice but to leave out.

Somebody--maybe it was Story & Clark--was offering a keyboard designed for smaller hands. In my opinion, this should be an option on most grand pianos. Why should bigger-handed pianists have the advantage? frown

-Jimbo

Jim Volk
PIANOVATION
Re: my hand is small #424288
08/21/03 02:00 AM
08/21/03 02:00 AM
Canada
katie_dup1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
katie_dup1  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Canada
Crash,

Hmm.... interesting.... I'm going to compare hand sizes at the Hoens Competition this fall (bring the binoculars & all).

Just because I have to ask, & you're a smart fellow ..... with the 2nd movement of the Moonlight Sonata, can you recall many chords that stretch a 9th? The reason I ask, is someday.... maybe someday ..... I'll be advanced enough & like to challenge this, but not having seen the music I should also ask..... Can someone with little hands tackle this?

Also, what were Beethoven's hands like, do you know?

Re: my hand is small #424289
08/21/03 02:30 AM
08/21/03 02:30 AM
C
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member
CrashTest  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C

Originally posted by katie:
Crash,

Hmm.... interesting.... I'm going to compare hand sizes at the Hoens Competition this fall (bring the binoculars & all).

Just because I have to ask, & you're a smart fellow ..... with the 2nd movement of the Moonlight Sonata, can you recall many chords that stretch a 9th? The reason I ask, is someday.... maybe someday ..... I'll be advanced enough & like to challenge this, but not having seen the music I should also ask..... Can someone with little hands tackle this?

Also, what were Beethoven's hands like, do you know?
You should have no trouble with the 2nd movement. The biggest interval is an octave, so you should manage, as everything else is either normal notes or double notes within reach.

The same goes for the first movement, except for a few scattered 9ths there. The only issue I would see with the 2nd movement and small hands are connecting legato octaves, using the 3rd, 4th, and 5th fingers to connect them. You can use a little bit of the pedal to connect them, or just try and achieve maximum legato without switching fingers.

Czerny, Beethoven's pupil, and Liszt's teacher, said that Beethoven's fingers were like cushions, moreso than others, probably because of the amount of time he practiced. I recall reading that his fingers were more on the stubby side, and unlike the slender and long fingers of Liszt.

There have been many pianists with small hands, like Josef Hoffman, who even had a custom keyboard built. Evgeny Kissin, while not having small hands, said his hands are not extremely large, he said he can right a comfortable 10th, the same with Brendel.

Re: my hand is small #424290
08/21/03 04:30 AM
08/21/03 04:30 AM
Kalamazoo, MI
gxprice Offline
gxprice  Offline

Kalamazoo, MI
Originally posted by CrashTest:
Originally posted by katie:
[b] Crash,

There have been many pianists with small hands, like Josef Hoffman, who even had a custom keyboard built. Evgeny Kissin, while not having small hands, said his hands are not extremely large, he said he can right a comfortable 10th, the same with Brendel. [/b]
I studied Kissin's hands up close and personal a few weeks ago and his hands, although not huge, are by no means small! I'm not sure if he can stretch an 11th (I didn't ask) but I know he can stretch 10ths and play any other notes with any fingers in between at the same time eek

The ends of his fingers have also gone through an evolution - there aren't really any pads as such but more flattened off and very hard. Nails, at least when I saw them, seem only half a normal finger nail length. Don't know if this was deliberate or not ...

Regards,

Gary.

Re: my hand is small #424291
08/21/03 05:03 AM
08/21/03 05:03 AM
Lancaster, pa
johnmoonlight Offline
2000 Post Club Member
johnmoonlight  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Lancaster, pa
PioPia, You may want to search the past posts on this topic since it has come up on numerous occasions. Just hit search and try "hand size". Should give you plenty of past postings on the topic.

While one who sings with his tongue on fire
Gargles in the rat race choir
Bent out of shape from society's pliers
Cares not to come up any higher
But rather get you down in the hole
That he's in.
Re: my hand is small #424292
08/21/03 04:16 PM
08/21/03 04:16 PM
P
pianodevo Offline
500 Post Club Member
pianodevo  Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

CrashTest,

I read the same interview about the apparent consensus on optimal hand size, and the description of Anton Rubinstein's hand. You recalled it just the way I remember. It really clarified that the 'long, long, slender' socalled piano hand is a myth. Anton R apparently got his unbelievable tone from the fat pads on his fingers, upon which he played.

PioPia,

There are safe methods for increasing your reach and the stretch between fingers. Some exercises are given in various books to accomplish this. I xeroxed one short book by Ridley Prentice on hand and finger gymnastics -- got it through inter-library loan. Might be worth investigating.

I had a wonderful teacher who was a good virtuoso, who barely reached an octave. She refingered lots of stuff (took a RH note with the LH and vice-versa). I know that she played the Brahms Concerto #1 with a major orchestra. So small hands aren't the end of the world.

pianodevo
Re: my hand is small #424293
08/21/03 05:24 PM
08/21/03 05:24 PM
U.S.
Goldberg Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Goldberg  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

U.S.
Well I think everything that can be said has been said (I was personally going to mention Ashkenazy, who recorded a whole ton of Rachmaninoff pieces, but that was done when I came back)so I can't really contribute anything...but, 88Key_PianoPlayer, I'm curious as to what kind of piano that is in your signature? I can't quite make out the brand name...

Re: my hand is small #424294
08/21/03 05:31 PM
08/21/03 05:31 PM
CA
Orlando Gibbons Offline
500 Post Club Member
Orlando Gibbons  Offline
500 Post Club Member

CA
Originally posted by Goldberg:
Well I think everything that can be said has been said (I was personally going to mention Ashkenazy, who recorded a whole ton of Rachmaninoff pieces, but that was done when I came back)so I can't really contribute anything...but, 88Key_PianoPlayer, I'm curious as to what kind of piano that is in your signature? I can't quite make out the brand name...
Looks like a Bosie.... eek

"See?! The Cliffs of Insanity!"
Re: my hand is small #424295
08/22/03 01:16 AM
08/22/03 01:16 AM
Mars
P
PioPia Offline OP
PioPia  Offline OP
P

Mars
Thanks everyone for replying. I'm just concerned but not anymore since there are other who had small hand size like mine like Katie smile . Sorry if i'm reposting the same subject.

Re: my hand is small #424296
08/22/03 12:53 PM
08/22/03 12:53 PM
B
bmc Offline
bmc  Offline
B

My piano teacher commonly tells the true story of one of the better performances he ever heard of Chopin's octave etude (Op.25 No...7?). It was by a pianist who couldn't reach an octave! She had to break each octave! -Just a little anecdote.

I have large hands, and consider it to be generally an advantage, but it is by no means necessary to playing virtuoso piano music. It can also be a disadvantage, in that those who have large hands sometimes try "large" pieces before they're ready and have a greater liklihood of injurring themselves...

Re: my hand is small #424297
08/22/03 03:22 PM
08/22/03 03:22 PM
Chapel Hill, NC
Stanza Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Stanza  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Chapel Hill, NC
I also have small hands (golf glove is a men's cadet small, which means small hands and short fingers!). Firstly, people are getting bigger as compared to the past! I read a recent article about shoe sizes (hands and feet being comparable). At the turn of the century, the average men's shoe size was 6.5! I have small feet and wear an 8. So...it is indeed likely that most of our pianistic heros of the past did have small hands by todays standards. Obviously they managed. Break or roll large chords or intervals as previously stated. It may even sound better!. It helps to raise your wrist to "cartwheel". Leave out notes or re-voice. Unless you are planning on winning the Van Cliburn competition it would be unnoticed by your friends or aunt Martha and Uncle Henry. Finally there is so dam much literature out there, just skip those that ask the impossible of you and play to your strengths. Just like sports. Football linemen do not return kick offs and basketball point guards don't play the low post!

Estonia L190 #7004
Casio PX 310
Yamaha NP 30
Re: my hand is small #424298
08/22/03 03:56 PM
08/22/03 03:56 PM
Mesa, AZ
zorro Offline
zorro  Offline

Mesa, AZ
Originally posted by bmc:
Chopin's octave etude (Op.25 No...7?).
It is the tenth of opus 25. wink

"I love Beethoven, especially the poems."
Ringo Starr
Re: my hand is small #424299
08/22/03 11:29 PM
08/22/03 11:29 PM
El Cajon, CA
88Key_PianoPlayer Offline
1000 Post Club Member
88Key_PianoPlayer  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

El Cajon, CA
Originally posted by Orlando Gibbons:
Originally posted by Goldberg:
[b] Well I think everything that can be said has been said (I was personally going to mention Ashkenazy, who recorded a whole ton of Rachmaninoff pieces, but that was done when I came back)so I can't really contribute anything...but, 88Key_PianoPlayer, I'm curious as to what kind of piano that is in your signature? I can't quite make out the brand name...
Looks like a Bosie.... eek [/b]
Right. It's a Bosendorfer Imperial. Unfortunately, though, it's not mine. frown

Associate Member - Piano Technicians Guild
1950 (#144211) Baldwin Hamilton
1956 (#167714) Baldwin Hamilton
You can right-click my avatar for an option to view a larger version.
Re: my hand is small #424300
08/25/03 08:11 PM
08/25/03 08:11 PM
Davenport, IA
E
EndOfWords Offline
EndOfWords  Offline
E

Davenport, IA
Tori Amos's was playing at age 4 and i'm sure her hands weren't to big! :-)

Ben

???

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Of speakers and watts
by mydp. 11/13/18 05:35 PM
altered chords and chord progressions
by Jitin. 11/13/18 12:26 PM
Ornette Coleman's "Lonely Woman"
by KenBakerMN. 11/13/18 08:54 AM
Crackling noise when recording digital piano
by Tommm777. 11/13/18 01:01 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,318
Posts2,760,801
Members91,484
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission