2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
29 members (andredatele, CyberGene, DPAfficionado, Cutec, David B, ChrisGoesPiano, Boboulus, clothearednincompo, 7 invisible), 419 guests, and 446 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Nerves: career ending?
#420544 03/20/08 09:00 AM
A
OP Offline
A
We all get nervous, I know, but have they ever KILLED your performance? And I don't mean made you play at 70% of your usual standard, I mean REALLY messed everything up, to the point where there were more wrong notes than right ones? What could be done to prevent this? Should nerves/anxiety be treated separately (ie. by a psychologist) or is there anything the teacher/student can do to overcome this?

Imagination is more powerful than knowledge.
Re: Nerves: career ending?
#420545 03/20/08 09:34 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I thought this was a pretty good article on dealing with stagefright . Have a look.

#420546 03/20/08 09:57 AM
V
V
Nerves did ruin my performance sometimes, dropping it to a 10 % shadow of what i'm really capable of. I then came up with some techniques that really helped me overcome this.

1. Make recordings! Use your cell phone or your tape recorder or your computer mic, anything. With knoweldge that you'll play these recording to someone else, it somewhat simulates playing on stage.
2. Bring over friends , family, and neighbors and play for them.
3. Confidence plays a major part, practice your pieces very slowly until you're 100 % confident of them. Practice in the dark to improve your touch confidence. I actually got to the point where I played whole pieces blindfolded, and on the stage,I didn't even sweat.

Good luck!

Currently Working on:
Beethoven : Piano Conerto No.2
Mozart : Piano Sonata No.6
Schubert : Moment Musicax No.3
Chopin : Black Key Etude
#420547 03/20/08 07:43 PM
G
G
Stage fright is very common but if you get into a helpless panic state each time you have to perform, a psychologist might be a good idea.

On the other hand, you might be able to play in such a state, if you really concentrate on playing and nothing else. If you can do that, it will become better soon. I found that many people try to fight stage fright (or other similar problems) instead of just concentrating on what they have to do. That feeds the fright and there is even less energy left to do your job.

#420548 03/20/08 08:16 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

#420549 03/20/08 08:30 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A couple of years ago I was going through some old papers for my Dad and ran across a 40 year old note from my piano teacher complimenting me on my performance at a recital. This was a shock to me because in that moment I realized that I had no recollection of that recital or any other recital I'd played in, ever. I appear to have totally blacked them out. The recitals had to have been emotionally traumatic for me to have obliterated the memories like that. Even now I often falter when I hear a family member in the next room, sometimes stopping until the person leaves, and recording is purgatory for me.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
#420550 03/20/08 11:43 PM
B
B
Originally posted by absent-minded professor:
We all get nervous, I know, but have they ever KILLED your performance? And I don't mean made you play at 70% of your usual standard, I mean REALLY messed everything up, to the point where there were more wrong notes than right ones?
All the time...

#420551 03/21/08 02:43 AM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
If you and your teacher can get a handle on it, great. But I'd recommend as strongly as possible that if that doesn't work, to at least try a mental health professional.

This issue has affected and shaped my life in many many ways, and not only ones about musical performance. While I refuse to frame it in completely negative terms, it is clear to me now, in my late 50s, that the more you know and can find out about what is going on with it, the better off you'll be. And that is regardless of whether you "conquer" it in the long run, or how else you may end up dealing with it.

#420552 03/21/08 04:18 AM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
A guy I know who runs a recording studio has a deal with a local breathing/acting coach who will come in and give a quick session on breathing to people who are having difficulty with nerves when recording. Works wonders!

Personally I agree with the advice above about finding the opportunity to perform ahead of the real performance, even if it's only to family and friends.

John
#420553 03/21/08 07:14 AM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by absent-minded professor:
We all get nervous, I know, ...
Most of us definitely do. Some performing artists do not get nervous on a regular basis. Just the opposite, they get excited and more involved in their playing. In other words they do BETTER in public performances.

#420554 03/21/08 09:40 PM
Some performing artists do not get nervous on a regular basis. Just the opposite, they get excited and more involved in their playing. In other words they do BETTER in public performances.
Absolutely true. And many of them are artists we discuss here & wish we could play like (or perhaps not...). They feel the same nervous emotions that the rest of us do. But they have learned how to turn that into a positive and feed off it when they perform.

I would treat performance nerves like trying to learn a very difficult passage: Repetition. In other words, take every opportunity to play for people even if its only one person. If you do this enough, you will become comfortable with having an audience and it will become 2nd nature.

#420555 03/21/08 09:51 PM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally posted by dmc092657:
[QUOTE]

I would treat performance nerves like trying to learn a very difficult passage: Repetition. In other words, take every opportunity to play for people even if its only one person. If you do this enough, you will become comfortable with having an audience and it will become 2nd nature.
That's a nice theory, but I don't know of any evidence that it is a fact for everyone. I suspect there are some folks who are wired in a way that prevents them from ever getting to that promised land of reasonable comfort with an audience. At least not without some major overhaul of their psyche, and the possible assistance of drugs. If you have truly debilitating stagefright, this proposed remedy of getting in front of people and experiencing it over and over again can actually make it more solidly entrenched than ever.

#420556 03/21/08 09:55 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I always remind myself it is the journey, and not the destination that matters. We learn the most from our mistakes...

- Mark

...The ultimate joy in music is the joy of playing the piano...
#420557 03/21/08 11:52 PM
S
S
Here is what Andre Watts says:

"There is a certain nervousness that is almost always there. . . . I've had whole seasons where I find I'm always nervous; then there are times when everything flows smoothly. About 8 or 9 years ago, I had a season of almost nothing but memory lapses which sort of became a cycle. I knew I had a memory failure in a previous concert, so I waited for one in the present performance. It went on and on. Eventually it passed and, even though now occasionally I have a memory lapse, nothing ever equaled that particular year."

So even very accomplished virtuosos have cases of the nerves and memory lapses. I think it is good to know you are not alone!

Baldwin SF-10 320152, Marshall & Wendell, Steinway B
#420558 03/22/08 08:45 AM
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
I could frankly care less what people think as long as my employers continue to value my musicality. If you let nerves get in your way, perhaps the performing arts are not for you...enjoy it for what it brings you and stick to performing for your after-dinner guests.

#420559 03/22/08 03:32 PM
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Stage fright and nervous attacks come about because we are terrified about making a mistake or having a memory lapse. A friend, who is an excellent pianist had such panic attacks before a concert or recitald that he almost gave up playing in public. Then he decided to come to grips with this fear of playing for an audience by recognizing that he will make mistakes, and he will have a memory lapse or two. He then adopted the attitude of "so what. It may or may not happen. Just get in there and play. If anyone in the audience can play better, let them have at it."

Yes, he has made mistakes----no one in the audience seemed to notice or to mind. He has had memory lapses, and again, just kept on playing, and again, no one in the audience seemed to mind.

Gaby Tu

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hailun 218 vs Feurich 218
by Sonepica - 11/30/20 03:03 AM
The Search Continues--thoughts on Round Three?
by jmiley97302 - 11/29/20 11:15 PM
Why no enough like for Casio GP?
by Harpuia - 11/29/20 11:12 PM
My Yamaha P-515 Review / Impressions
by Chummy - 11/29/20 09:48 PM
MIDI software for Roland FP-30
by picman - 11/29/20 07:30 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,149
Posts3,028,718
Members99,423
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission