2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (benkeys, brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#420005 09/22/05 10:00 PM
T
OP Offline
T
In your opinion, what is the hardest piece to perform out of all of the classical pieces? I know there will be a variety of answers, but I want everyone to consider the tempo, technique, and musicality required to perform the piece.

My vote is for a piece on Vladimir Horowitz's Legendary RCA recordings CD, track 9 on disk 2 (don't know the name, the numbers aren't listed). Anyone else heard of it?

Asian Invasion
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Maybe Bartok 2nd Concerto? I haven't played it (of course :p ), but it certainly sounds the hardest of all the music that I've heard.

Sam
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well, if this is the disk you mean http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...6163230-3144846?v=glance&s=classical then track 9 is from Kabalevsky's preludes. I don't know them, so I can't comment - but I don't think the excerpt I heard on amazon, while difficult, would qualify as the toughest piece ever.

Balakirev's Islamey is generally considered one of the toughest. Ravel wrote his Gaspard de la Nuit to be tougher than that, though - and that suite is pretty darn tough. Another notable mention would be Sorabji's Opus Clavicembalisticum. While I've never heard it (and don't plan on it), it is reputed to be ridiculously hard. I've glanced at the score and I'd tend to agree. It's hard - and it's ridiculous... Of course, Rachmaninoff's Third Piano Concerto is a monster, as is the Brahms PC No. 2 and the Bartok #2.

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
If you're speaking of Horowitz's "Legendary RCA Recordings" on which disc one has the Tchaikovsky and Rach 3 concertos, then track 9 of disc 2 would be Prokofiev's Toccata. I would have to disagree with you.

I think, quite simply, for each person, the 'hardest piece in the world' is the one they want to play but can't. wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I still hold that Alkan's Concerto for Solo Piano (movement 1, and 3 to a slightly lesser extent) is the most difficult piece ever written for the piano. Many would say that some of Sorabji's works are more difficult, but, seeing as how I haven't played either of these works, I really couldn't say.

- Zack -
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Here's a measure from Sorabji:

[Linked Image]

If you don't talk to your children about equal temperment, who will?
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
taking sheer musicality, technical dificulty and grasp of large form, and stamina I would certainly add Beethovens Hammerklavier Sonata Op 106,

Rzewski's 'The people united will never be defeated' sure belongs in this list as well, it also combines a blistering technique with the above qualities.

Boulez Sonata #2 is incredibly hard
most of Messieans works also could be added

D
D
Liszt Don Juan Fantasie
Godowsky-Chopin Études (particularly the étude in A flat, Opus 25, No. 1)
Brahms-Paganini variations

Best regards,

David Ramezani
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hmmm - anybody try anything of Nancarrow's?

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
As far as solo works go, the Sorajbi O.C. is about as hard & demanding (and impossible unless you're a real psyco?) as it gets. I think there are only 2 or 3 pianists that have recorded it. Fortunatly it's a pretty gross piece of music so you're not missing out on much...

And concertos, my vote goes to the Busoni Piano Concerto. But all the others mentioned (apart from the Rachmaninoff) are definatly up there too.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Oh my. That excerpt from the Sorabji piece just about made me faint. Think I'll skulk back over to the Adult Beginner's forum where I belong. laugh

By the way, can anybody tell me what you call those "sixthlet" things? (The run of notes that looks like a triplet but there's six of them and it has a little 6 underneath it.) "Sixthlet" is all I could come up with, but that's not a stuffy enough term so it can't possibly be correct.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
With the exception of of the term "triplet", I don't ever use terms to denote "irregular" groupings of notes. For instance, in Chopin when it's not uncommon to see 29 against 4, there's no point in coming up with a name for that - it's just "29 against 4".

A grouping of 6 against 4 is certainly common enough to merit a name - so I'd guess hextuplet?

Oh, and I think the Sorabji is enough to make even accomplished pianists faint, you're not alone... smile

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
Herma

Eonta

both by Xenakis

I've actually seen the score for Eonta, and I haven't the faintest clue how anyone can play this. I have a recording by Yuji Takahashi, and after following along in the score for a few seconds I just put the score away; it was futile.

www.elclandestinomusic.com

"Moralists have no place in an art gallery" ---Han Suyin

"Paint's not really a great thing to bring into a museum" ---Adam Sorenson, The Shape of Things
L
L
Originally posted by kathyk:
Hmmm - anybody try anything of Nancarrow's?
Yes. In a Juilliard class I was assigned one of his player piano studies, transcribed for 4 hands.

A fine piece, but a pointless performance exercise. It's music for machines, and humans can't possibly play it as well as a machine can.

I know that Nancarrow wrote some pieces for sentient pianists, but I've never heard any of them.

T
OP Offline
T
Originally posted by Derulux:
If you're speaking of Horowitz's "Legendary RCA Recordings" on which disc one has the Tchaikovsky and Rach 3 concertos, then track 9 of disc 2 would be Prokofiev's Toccata. I would have to disagree with you.

I think, quite simply, for each person, the 'hardest piece in the world' is the one they want to play but can't. wink
I mean when I first heard it, it sounded so chaotic and there is so much going on that I don't think I could comprehend even how to play it. Vladimir Horowitz is up to his usual best in his legendary recordings, and I'd think that only he could perform the hardest the best.

Asian Invasion
T
OP Offline
T
Also, does anyone here agree with me that Liszt's "La Campanella" is extremely hard? I mean I've heard Yundi Li play it and he had his fair share of mistakes. I'd think that Lang Lang could also perform it pretty close to perfect (I mean he can do it if he could perform Liszt's transcription of Don Juan)

Asian Invasion
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
There is a DVD with Evgeny Kissin performing La Campanella as an encore piece. Very, very good performance. thumb

Sam
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Liszt's La Campanella and Don Juan Fantasy are both quite difficult pieces, but I don't think they'd qualify as the hardest piece ever. Tough as his music is, Liszt knew how to write for the piano and his stuff is very pianistic.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by pianojerome:
There is a DVD with Evgeny Kissin performing La Campanella as an encore piece. Very, very good performance. thumb
I'm dying to listen to Kissin. One of the few pianists I want to listen to, and whom I still haven't had the opportunity. (Oh, sure those little 50 second clips at amazon, et al, but we both know that doesn't cut it compared to a complete performance. wink )

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
You've never heard a Kissin CD?

His DVD, <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/6305785023/qid=1127537439/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-1480916-3884706?v=glance&s=dvd" target="new_window">the Gift of Music</a>, is great. It's a "documentary", but there's more performance on there than there is documentary.

He's one of my favorite pianists.

Sam
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission