2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
64 members (An Old Square, AprilE, accordeur, Bostonmoores, 36251, anotherscott, Beansparrow, Abdol, 8 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 848 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hi all,

I am in the middle of the most intensive 3 week piano course I have ever attended in France. Ill be premiering my piano suite here so I want to make sure its top notch, hence the nature of my question.

I am putting in about 5-6 hours of practise a day and was wondering if there was anyway I could treat the soreness in my finger joints and tendons in my wrists/forearms.

Holding them in a sink of hot water? Any gels or anything I could look to buy. Keep in mind I am in a rural town although I am planning on going to Paris on sunday so I could perhaps buy a useful product for the final grind during the last week of prep.

Thanks so much; this time I really need advice! I dont want to injure myself before this one...

Stretch those things before and after you play! Don't want to end up like Schumann! Also, on your wrist twist it into joint locks before you play. It hurts a lil' but will stretch your joints a some.

I know the music ups and down.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Stretch as shown, as much as possible:

http://www.beastskills.com/wrist%20stretch%202%20small.jpg

http://www.beastskills.com/wrist%20stretch%201%20small.jpg

I went through a lot of wrist trouble when I began piano, but it seems to have fixed itself from constant use of stretching and msm/chondroitin tablets.

-Colin

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
has anyone tried glucosamine?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
kcoul058...
The only method that worked for me was to ice down my hands... I had to wait for them to warm up before playing the piano. I read it is not good to play with cold hands.That is could injure you to do so. I used a sink of water with ice and put both hands into the sink. Also, I also used the small blue ,drug store, ice packs, plastic, that is kept in the freezer. This worked for me. I would be careful of heat until you are certain what method you should use to improve your hands... I worry the heat would make your problem worse. Please ask a Dr. if possible. Your hands are too precious to take a chance. Hope it is solved soon for you. Sandy B

Sandra M. Boletchek 08/02/06
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally posted by kcoul058:
has anyone tried glucosamine?
Yes I've been taking it for months now. It seems to help.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
you're a hardworker too i take it!

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I regularly practiced for 2-4 hours a day when I began the piano, but have been laying off for awhile now. All the work seems to have given me a technique adequate for what I want to accomplish, I just need to be better educated in theory now.

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
As someone who suffers pain chronically, I would advise you not to overextend in the first place, no matter how important you think it is to be prepared. With injured hands, as you have at the moment, there is no quick fix that I know of other than resting them. Ice and heat may soothe them, but for short periods of time.

I do use a muscle cream made by the Melaleuka Co in Idaho that is the best I have ever found for soothing painful anything. And naproxin sodium works for me - I am not dispensing medicine here, but perhaps you need to check in with a clinic to get preventive advice before it is too late to help.

When you are in pain and compromised, too, it can take away from the wonderful event you are participating in and produces stress at a time you need for everything to go well.

My pain is from arthritis, degenerative joints, and an injury to the back of my neck and right shoulder which impact the arm and fingers. It is hard for me to play for 10 minutes these days before having to give up. I am trying to rebuild my stamina and see a physical therapist who attends to whatever is giving me a problem at the moment.

Please take good care of your hands, they are absolutely precious to you.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Odd thread, this. It is almost as if the obvious has been ignored: don't over practise.

If one feels pain the next day, then it is time to reconsider the practise schedule. Take a day or two off, then work back via a modest schedule.

Generally I have found that excessive practise of 5 finger exercises are the culprit, especially when you can feel the pain in your elbow: a sure sign.

Yet for technique, 5 finger exercises are the best -particularly those of Dohnanyi- yet Dohnanyi himself cautions against over practise. He knew what he was talking about, and the remarks in his preface must be taken seriously.

Jason
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Did the muscle pain had a slow onset? It's most likely the body's natural response to muscle building - the pain accounted by your body healing all those microscopic tears from a period of heavy use (building up more muscle tissue in the process) There's no way you can help other than rest and ice compression - anti inflammatorys like aspirin or ibuprofen might serve you well for short term relief also. Should find that in the smallest of shops provided they sell painkillers etc.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Since practicing involves more your brain than your hands, this would be my advice: practice gently so that the brain gets exercise but your hands, arms and joints are not constantly pounding the keys. There is no need to pound away when you are really hearing the correct interpretation in your imagination. Every once in a while give yourself a treat and play it out the way you hear it, but mainly practice with a gentle tone.

Before I got arthritis I used to do a lot of running. Now my doctor advises me to walk, not run, because he doesn't want me to be pounding my joints on the cement. Same thing with piano.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I will start with advil, and see if i can find glucosamine. This is the work I hope to launch a composition career with, I just have to get through a week and two days more, afterwhich I will get one week of absolutely no piano while backpacking.

I certainly dont want to overpractise to the point I dont even play it well in the concert, but I am basically learning a significantly difficult piece in three weeks worth of time while maintaining a half recital worth of other nearly equally difficult rep since I cant play the suite for him every day. We have four lessons a week, and he has very high standards so I almost feel a little bit trapped. I almost dont want the lessons anymore but I paid enough to come here. Anyone see the dilemna? I just cranked it up to 6 or 7 hours of practise today, and the back pain now makes the other pain seem insignificant. I will just have to try and get through it, and find a single day of total rest somewhere along the way, perhaps this Sunday coming up. Nooooobody works on sunday here!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Dear Betty, So sorry to hear you have so much pain. I have been there. Eight years ago the Dr. had me take Omega 3 , fish oil 1,000 mg as I was allergic to all other meds he trie. I have had no pain or swelling for 8 years now. I took 3 a day at first, the first week or so... down to one a day up to current. Sandy B

My friend has got thumb pain when she plays C major scale, especially when the thumb switchs with middle or fourth finger, so she's afraid of and avoid of playing any scales since then, I really don't know how to help her.

In my this life, I will enjoy playing the piano
In my next life, I will become a pianist
A
A
I was unluckly enough to break my wrist a few years ago. But what came with that was a lot of knowledge and training which I wouldn't have had without my injury.

The absolute NO.1 recommendation is to make a few visits to a physiotherapist. Apart from the wrist-break, after some thumb and wrist probmes, I have had several appointments over the last few years which were very helpful. They were always open-minded with me and my music, so should understand if you take music so seriously. One thing they'll say is about how many instrument related strains and problems they've seen. But this means they're in the know about how you need to train/exercise.

I had to cut down the practice for a few weeks. It's tough - you'll want to practice so much more I'm sure. But for the long-term it's crucial. During this time I was instructed to work on the forearm muscles using big stretchy bands (sort of the same size as a scarf). There are different bands of different elasticity. Importantly, the one I had to use was a light one as I had to work on endurance/muscle stamina, and not power/muscle building.

Also, as others have mentioned, stretch. Have a quick search through google on stretching. I think there are really only 6 main stretches for the forearms, bending the wrist (as in 1)'prayer', 2)'reverse prayer'. Then with arm out straight in front, 3)fingertips pointing upwards, then 4)downwards, then sideways forearm stretching downwards with 5) thumb-side on top and 6) pinky on top). Very important to stretch out upper arms, shoulders, neck etc.

Don't overstretch. Before a session of playing, stretch out lightly (as in feel the stretch, but don't force it). And when finished playing for the day (or for a break), same again.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Dear Betty Patnude, Thank you for your kind words Betty. Good luck with your Dr. hopefully hw wil approve the Omega 3 Fish Oil you. I buy mine in the drugstore in the vitamin section. Sandy B

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Dear Kcoul058, I feel so badly for you and I hope we can help you... at least give you moral support. Can you stop working so hard at the piano to give your hands and wrists a rest? Can you remain in the piano program if you do? Here is another option for you if you cannot rest your hands and wrists. Sports Doctors are excellent for these problems. These Sports Doctors have professional athletic people who need a quick fix as they are under contract to perform. Sandy B

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Kcoul058... TO HELP YOU FAST...ALEVE is the name I kept hearing for pain, soreness, etc...I asked around for you. This is the one all people rave about for complete relief. Tylenol always takes my pain away fast too, bad neck disc. Sandy B

F
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
F
Kcoul058, just curious; what course in France are you attending? My piano teacher happens to be a guest teacher at a course in France (I think he's there this week), just wanted to check if you're at the same course smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
*NEW* The Strolling LH Bassline
by Dfrankjazz - 12/01/21 10:54 PM
Ned Rorem
by Steveskates - 12/01/21 09:00 PM
When Pianist and Piano Rebuilder Get together
by Chernobieff Piano - 12/01/21 08:51 PM
Regulating a digital piano advice needed
by Purdy - 12/01/21 06:06 PM
WNG Portable Piano pounder.
by jkess114 - 12/01/21 05:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,340
Posts3,150,093
Members103,487
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission