2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
OP Offline
H
Ok I am learning the Accolay Cooncerto so I can play it with my friend and violinist. The problem I have is this: the right hand plays triplets and the left hand plays regular eighth notes. Its kinda like Debussy's first Arabesque kinda thing. Are there any good excercises on practicing it?

You can take a noob and train him all day but that'll just make him a trained noob...
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
I was shown a very helpful exercise for this.

Play two chromatic scales 1 third apart.

Put your right thumb on the E above Middle C.
Put your left thumb on Middle C.

Play the scale in contrary motion.

You'll be able to hear the different beats and how they mesh with each other.

Hope this helps!

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
John,
I tried your suggestion, and to be honest, I don't see how that helps with triplets vs. duples. Did you mean to play one hand in triplets and one in duples?

Hyon: I would try this little trick:

Say, "Not Diff-i-cult"
Tap, -R---R------R
------L-------L

Hopefully my little diagram matches up alright (and makes sense!). Once you can tap that easily with saying it, then don't say it and just tap it, then translate that into what you're playing.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by Morodiene:
John,
I tried your suggestion, and to be honest, I don't see how that helps with triplets vs. duples. Did you mean to play one hand in triplets and one in duples?

Hyon: I would try this little trick:

Say, "Not Diff-i-cult"
Tap, -R---R------R
------L-------L

Hopefully my little diagram matches up alright (and makes sense!). Once you can tap that easily with saying it, then don't say it and just tap it, then translate that into what you're playing.
That is exactly what the goal is play one hand the duple, and the other the triplet. Your diagram looks okay to me.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Morodiene:

Say, "Not Diff-i-cult"
Tap, -R---R------R
------L-------L

Being a Proper Englishmanâ„¢, I prefer to use "Nice Cup Of Tea" as a rythmic guide smile

-Michael B.

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
Is this playing 4 against 3? the mnemonic I learned is "Pass the god-damn butter":

*/ / * / * / */
Pass the god damn butter, Pass...(etc)

- where * is RH and / is LH (or vice versa). Hope this makes sense.

M
M
Praa, I take great offense at your choice of words, and would appreciate in the future if you were a bit more considerate of others.
Thanks.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Praa, I don't take any offense at your choice of words and am surprised that any one in this day and age could take great offense at them.

John

Vasa inania multum strepunt.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Praa, I also take great offence at your choice of words. As anyone knows in these days of nutritional awareness, butter contains far too many saturated fats to be part of a healthy diet, and that a low-fat spread would be a much wiser choice.

-Michael B.

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Kindly, do not impose your saturated fat-ist world view on the rest of us. My love of butter is just as valid.

John

Vasa inania multum strepunt.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Count out loud

"1, 2, and 3."

Make sure you say the word "and" out loud as you count.

The hand with the triplets plays on 1,2,3.

The hand with the eigth notes plays on 1, and.

All there is to it.

Tomasino

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

if butter is objectionable, try passing the spinach instead

K
K
I was taught the "gosh darn" version.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Maybe this will be of more help. If the link isn't open on your browser, click on it, or if it's not big enough, click on it.

[Linked Image]

Hope you can see it. Anyway,

for 3 against 2,

the hand beating 3 plays only "1,2,3."
the hand beating 2 plays only "1, and."

for 3 against 4,

the hand beating 3 plays only "1,2,3"
the hand beating 4 plays only "1, ta, tay, ta."

That's as clear as I can make it.
Tomasino

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

M
M
I'm surprised in this day and age of "tolerance" that people still choose to make fun of those who have religious convictions. But I suppose that hypocrisy is to be expected.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
F
F
There`s no law that says you can`t make fun of someone who is religious. People are made fun of all the time for a multitude of reasons, that`s life :-/

Will
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Morodiene:
I'm surprised in this day and age of "tolerance" that people still choose to make fun of those who have religious convictions.

If one's religious convictions are real and sincere, it should not matter one iota what anyone else might think, say or write.

But I suppose that hypocrisy is to be expected.

Down there in Oz people of all social backgrounds are generally blunter and a lot more colourful in their speech and writing, and what might seem 'blasphemous' to an übersensitive American petal, might be standard conversational fare to an fair-dinkum Aussie. Therefore, in the interests of tolerance, perhaps an American could display more cultural awareness of their fellow anglophones from Down Under, rather than whining rather childishly about being 'greatly offended' by a fairly innocuous expression, which is basically bereft of all religious connotation in modern usage... Godammit! wink

-Michael B.

M
M
I posted to let you know that what you said was offensive, and I know I'm not the only person on this forum who would think so. Obviously, you don't care, but I couldn't have known that before posting. Now you have made that extremely clear.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
You are indeed correct that I don't care in the slightest if you feel offended the use of that particular word, as IMNSFHO it is entirely your priggish choice to take such a stance. Mocking someone's racial origins, gender or sexuality is of course unacceptable and should be sanctioned both socially and legally. However satirising others' chosen irrational and unprovable belief systems (whatever particular flavour of God, Allah, Yahweh, Sky Fairy, Invisible Friend, etc, happens to be involved) is of course fair game in any society that values free speech, democratic ideals and justice....or perhaps you'd rather see the return of the Inquisition, or maybe even the full implementation of Shariah Law in your local neighbourhood?

It is obvious to even the most simple-minded individual that the original Australian poster meant no offence to you or anyone else, but was merely using his/her habitual vernacular. If you or others choose to be offended by it in your own little religious and cultural vacuums, then that is purely your decision, so get over it and yourselves. Please do not insult the intelligence of others here by pretending to be some kind of a 'victim.' As for the request that s/he be 'a bit more considerate' in future, that is just pure arrogance[1].

-Michael B.
[1] Though I will be politely asking drumour to tone down any references to butter and churned dairy products in general in all his future posts wink

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I made a real effort to answer HYONCHINGONCHON's query about 2 against 3. I went to the trouble of writing some notes on a staff, scanning it, and getting it hosted, so that I could be helpful. It took a fair amount of time, and I think I made the issue of 2 against 3 clearer than anyone else. I wish someone would notice.

So I wish you would all stop overwhelming my effort with this tiff about offensive language.

Tomasino

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission