Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
142 registered members (alexk3954, anamnesis, AlphaBravoCharlie, 90125, Alex C, Andrew_G, Animisha, 8ude, accordeur, 34 invisible), 1,328 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Ok, for adult beginners only... #415754
09/16/02 11:33 AM
09/16/02 11:33 AM
Portland, Oregon
momalboe Offline
momalboe  Offline

Portland, Oregon
1) Total years of playing any instrument: Started Trombone in 6th grade and played for 8 years. The last 2-1/2 years of that as a college music major so had to learn the basics of almost all band/symphony instruments. Also a beginning keyboarding class for 1 semester.

2) What instruments you have played: Just about everything very rudimentally. I could probably still play the trombone, euphonium and clarinet fairly decently but haven't touched any of them in 15 years.

3) Recent years of playing piano: 3 months

4) Pieces you can play: Well I am definitely a beginner although I think I'm making decent progress. I can pretty much "fake" sight read (chord in left hand, melody in right hand) most pop music. I've delved a little more deeply into some Billy Joel favorites - Piano Man, New York State of Mind, and others.

In my lessons I'm working on getting through the First Lessons In Bach, Book No. 1 and I've finished numbers 1 through 11.

We're also working on jazz and blues scales/chord progressions/alternating rhythms and improvisational theory so there aren't really any pieces that you would likely know by the arrangement since they are arranged by my teacher.

5) Pieces you're working on: Working on finishing the Bach book. On my own I'm also working on the first movement of Beethovan's Moonlight Sonata, Bach's Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring. I've worked on the Linus and Lucy piece that other's have mentioned and I'd say it's almost "done" but still working on getting the timing right.

6) Pieces you’ve spent some serious time working on, but eventually stopped working on for whatever reason: None - haven't gotten that frustrated... yet wink

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Ok, for adult beginners only... #415755
09/16/02 02:43 PM
09/16/02 02:43 PM
Portland, Oregon
momalboe Offline
momalboe  Offline

Portland, Oregon
Originally posted by BLee:

What are your opinions about theory?
I have found that my theory background helps me immensely but I don't know if it will help me as much once I've been playing longer. I have only been taking lessons for 3 months, but because of my general music and theory background I'm able to play much more music than my extremely limited piano skills should allow for.

The single most invaluable thing, at least in my experience, is knowing my chords so well. They've been grilled into my head so much that I don't have to think about them. Because of this, when I'm playing music which has the chord notations, the left hand is automatic and I really only have to concentrate on the melody in the right hand.

I'm sure there are other things that my theory knowledge helps me with that I don't even realize.

That said, I'm not sure that I'd have the patience as an adult to learn it from scratch and you do kind of learn it via osmosis the more you play anyway.

Re: Ok, for adult beginners only... #415756
09/17/02 04:10 PM
09/17/02 04:10 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Auckland, New Zealand
There seem to be at least three aspects to "theory" as it relates to piano music.

1. The sort of chord knowledge you describe, broadened and deepened beyond this into an extensive and intimate understanding of the keyboard, its patterns, sounds and their relationship to your mind and what you need to create.

2. The ways of representing this using marks on paper.

3. Sets of rules which have been used by various fashions and traditions in history about which patterns to use and when to use them.

In the personal creative sense the first is all you need and by far the most important.

If you want to transmit your ideas to others and learn their music in turn, then the second is necessary because we haven't invented anything better yet.

How important the third is depends on whether or not you wish to play and write more or less conventional music. It depends on the extent you consider yourself to be part of a musical tradition. If you want to write baroque fugues or traditional jazz then you need to study the associated conventions.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: Ok, for adult beginners only... #415757
09/17/02 04:54 PM
09/17/02 04:54 PM
D
Dianaca Offline
Dianaca  Offline
D

Hi Everyone,

I may not be fully "qualified" to respond... yet, but I am more excited than ever to have found this forum and to soon join your ranks!

1) I am 32 and I played the Clarinet for 8 years as a kid. Gave it up when I went to college. I had always wanted to learn to play the piano, but my parents thought the Clarinet was enough. I talked my mom into a 6 week summer class in my early teens, but since we couldn't afford a piano, I couldn't really practice and gave up mid-course to the relief of my mom, however the desire to learn never left me. Now I'm the mom and I'm looking to buy our first piano so that my two little ones, along with me - FINALLY - can learn together!

I kept thinking some might consider me silly for wanting to learn at this point in my life ( not that I really cared if anyone thought that or not!) but you have all inspired me more than ever to go for it!

And Mike, I like the way your wife shops!! smile I too am a stay at home mom!! And reading that post just made me chuckle, I'm sure my husband can relate! laugh

Diana

Re: Ok, for adult beginners only... #415758
09/19/02 07:46 PM
09/19/02 07:46 PM
Atlanta, GA
O
o2photo Offline
o2photo  Offline
O

Atlanta, GA
I don't think it's silly for wanting to take up piano. I am doing the same at 28. The reason is twofold. My wife and I want our children (one currently, 3 yet to be made) to play, and I want to play more than I want my children to play.

We are awaiting our very first piano. It should be here in a couple of weeks. I have never really played anything, though I *vaguely* recall a violin in my hands in an elementary music class.

I just can't wait. Don't worry about what other people think. Life is way to short. Just go after it.

Later on,

Marc

Re: Ok, for adult beginners only... #415759
10/02/02 10:38 AM
10/02/02 10:38 AM
Sweden
C
chodie Offline
chodie  Offline
C

Sweden
1) 11
2) classical guitar and piano
3) 5
4) Brahms ballades, op. 10, Chopin Polonaise-fantaise, some of the etudes, some Beethoven sonatas for instance, op. 2 no. 1 op. 10 no. 1 op. 13 ,op. 22. Bach partita no. 1

5) Chopin polonaise-fantaisie, Hamelin Scarlatti etude, Scarlatti sonata in b minor, Rachmaninov prelude op 32 no. 12
6) Liszt hungarian rhapsody no.2, Beethoven concerto no. 1, Liszt transcendental study no. 2, 8

Re: Ok, for adult beginners only... #415760
11/20/02 10:47 AM
11/20/02 10:47 AM
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
B
BeethBaChopin Offline
BeethBaChopin  Offline
B

Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Here is my report, also posted in another topic:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am also an adult beginner. I have been playing for about 3 months now. I am self-taught, but I have a number of self-teaching books and tapes.

I practice for an hour 2-3 times a week. Here is what I have done so far:

-sight-reading treble clef well and bass clef with some difficulty,
-memorized the position of keys ( I can slowly play without looking down at the keyboard),
-can sight-read a few pieces fairly fast (listed below),
-developed playing virtuosity to some degree through Hanon exercies.

Here are some pieces I have memorized partially and can play at about half of the right tempo. I use these for my practices, and hope to get to full tempo in another month:

1-Fur Elise
2:Moonlight Sonata (1st mov't)
3,4: 2 Mozart Minuets
4:Dreaming (Scumann)
5,6: 2 of Chopin Op. 10 Etudes. (partially)
7:Raindrop
8:Berceuse
More: working on some slow and easy pieces from the book 'the easiest book of piano classics."

On average, it took me about 2-3 practice days ( 2-3 Hours to sight-read well and memorize one of these pieces (some only partially.)

"...the luckiest man I know." - Arthur Rubinstein about himself and his love of performing.
Re: Ok, for adult beginners only... #415761
11/20/02 10:54 AM
11/20/02 10:54 AM
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
B
BeethBaChopin Offline
BeethBaChopin  Offline
B

Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Updated report (new pieces added):
I can play the first 6 completely, and the rest partially. The list grows week after week.

1-Beeth: Moonlight Sonata (Mv't 1)
2-Beeth: Fur Elise
3-Chopin: Berceuse
4-Chopin: Raindrop
5-Schumman: Dreaming
6-Chopin :A theme from Chopin Op. 23
7-Chopin: A theme from Op. 66
8,9-Two of Chopin Etude Op. 10 (One is No 9)
10,11-Two of Mozart Minuets.

"...the luckiest man I know." - Arthur Rubinstein about himself and his love of performing.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater Keyboard Deals
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sticky key on Kawai ES100
by alexk3954. 02/21/19 12:34 PM
1987 Samick SG172
by JasonCT. 02/21/19 11:11 AM
The Piano's Golden Generation
by Tyrone Slothrop. 02/21/19 05:12 AM
So... how do you clean the keyboard?
by JimB1. 02/20/19 09:36 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics190,416
Posts2,797,899
Members92,539
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission