2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by Kreisler:
And Rameau is NOT boring. I play the 2nd A minor suite in recital and it's always well received. laugh
Is that the one containing the superb Gavotte with variations?

Nothing boring there, rather difficult too. Sometime you must compare a Rameau score with Alkan. The appearance on the printed page is oddly similar. Deep in the crypts of libraries do epiphanies arise... laugh

Jason
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Sammartini, now there's your man!

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
btb your post is hard to follow!

Semi-pro pianist
Tuesdays 5-8 at Vince's West Sacramento, California
That's 'cause his native tongue's Xhosa.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by btb:
... not a moment to spare in the national money-grabbing vocation ... to remember the Tin Pan Alley song writers ... George Gershwin just moulders.
btb, you're precious. But let us also not forget Cole Porter. When this debonair (no other word for him, really) man met Rodgers and Hammerstein, he simply asked: 'So it takes two of you guys to write a song?'

Eh, Ivor Novello and Noel Coward, I wish I could love them like I do the best of the Americans. We're not talking the likes of Elgar, you know? Dowdy Brits, but prepare to swoon. Did you see that great film 'Gosford Park'?. It featured a delicious tune by Novello. Sorry, I just wept, and good grief, it's gorgeous.

Jason
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by btb:
We skid across the English legacy with a brief reference to some itinerant bums who twanged early guitars (forerunners of the Beatles) ... not to mention those who went indoors (to beat the summer rain) ... and bore the company stiff on white keyed virginals (always playing in the key of C).

Yeah, yeah... English legacy be damned. After the long dark winter of the hopeless Victorian Anglicans, Oxbridge suddenly came alive with new and fresh settings of the Anglican canticles. How exciting can this be? Then think of Stanley Vann at Peterborough, Herbert Sumsion at Gloucester, Francis Jackson at York Minster...

Jason
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hi Kingy,

Glad you approved of Sammartini ... but did you know that there were two of the blighters ... Milan-born eldest brother Giuseppe forsook the good Italian weather to spend a good deal of his life beside the Thames in London ... where he
developed a taste for traditional fish and chips (wrapped of course in the Sunday Times) ... the chappie is reputed to have been the greatest hautboy (hautbois) player (type of high-oboe)
ever heard up to his day ... (apparently also an “active and reputable composer.”)

Just thought you ought to know about this once Londoner.

PS Fan gives every indication of needing to get out more and play golf ... he's getting his Anglican canticles into a bit of a knot.

I mean his younger brother Giovanni-Battista, teacher of Gluck and JC Bach, who more-or-less invented the symphony. He never left Milan.

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Ham DIY artist (that's me) "more-or-less" fixed my darn lawn-mower ... but the grass laughs at my blundering endeavours (lucky for you, you don't boast a lawn) ... next you'll be saying that Giovanni-Battista's symphonies could well sound like my beat-up mower ... but, if the younger brother was smart, he'd have sensibly got famous in the Milanese fashion industry.

But imagine being remembered for giving lessons to the chappie (Gluck) who wrote forty five operas, four ballets, nine symphonies and seven sonatas for two violins and bass ... and end up sadly, a forgotten man ... the mind boggles!

And neither in my 1878 Groves! "Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!" or not as the case may be. Still, I'm sure good ol' Percy'll give 'em an'earin'.

P
P
Why are there so many more great cricket players in Pakistan than in U.S.? Why was Adolph Hitler so popular in Germany but not the U.S. or Israel? My point is I think we can all agree that it's cultural.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Jeez a lot of people here have a pretty provincial outlook... I hear implications of cultural resentment in several people's posts here.

The best way to avoid this I think is to imagine that you spent half of your childhood in any country you notice that you seem to have an aversion to or dislike of.

When you grow up in a place you understand how people there are diverse. Even imagining growing up there helps to stop prejudice, at least in my own experience.

Semi-pro pianist
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Actually it's funny to me that no one thought of the more contemporary example of so many great rock bands coming from the UK, or so many great rap artists from the US, etc.

Semi-pro pianist
Right time, right place. Everything clicks together just the right way.

With communication back then, doesn't it make sense that things would develop in one area?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission