2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
42 members (EB5AGV, 1957, DrPianoLDN, David Lai, clothearednincompo, ColoRodney, Calavera, 8 invisible), 397 guests, and 353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What's your background in piano?
#411131 11/22/05 08:25 AM
C
C
I started around age 7 in Dallas. That teacher retiered, and then I tranferred to another. I remember agonizing lectures from parents, watching kids outside play while I had to practice every day... etc. Had to drive to lessons clear accross town right after school once a week. Definitely had impact on my social life. But apparently I was pretty decent now that I go back and look at my certificates, reviews, etc... Anyhow, around 18 I rebelled enough to get out of playing to enjoy being 18. Never touched it since.

Fast forward 20 years... I now have kids of my own and attending a a good school with a decent music program. Then after hearing many commercials from local piano showrooms during my long work commute, I decided it was time to get back into playing.
So I bought a fantastic upright.

For the last 6 month, I practice roughly 2 hours a day. I have recovered most of my technique and will likely seek some form of instruction or prgram again soon. One noticeable difference for me now is... I "enjoy" playing and focus much more on the tone and feel. I'm totally hooked.

- christoph
#411132 11/22/05 11:05 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
My first piano experience at age seven was short and disastrous. One of the nuns at a local parochial school was of the "you make a mistake, and I crack your knuckles with a ruler" school of thought. This was back in 1963. I hope things have changed!

After two years my mother succeeded in getting me to start again with a wonderfully kind man who slowly sparked my interest. After studying with him for seven years (up to the Rachmaninoff C-sharp minor prelude level) I switched to a very demanding professor at the University of Miami (Rosalina Sackstein).

In my one and a half years with her she succeeded in deconstructing and reconstructing my technique. I was very tense. She nuked about 80% of that. My time with her was valuable for other reasons as well. As one of her weaker students (technically), I was able to see real talent and real effort up close. She had a stable of prodigiously talented students, many of whom practiced 3-5 hours daily. For my own sense of self I had to compete ....and I did. The progress I made in that time showed me how important effort and commitment were to success. That's a lesson I took with me.

David F

#411133 11/22/05 12:45 PM
I
I
I started when I was around 13 after falling in love w/ Progressive Rock music in the early 70's. I'd been playing a variety of brass instruments since ~7 and knew how to read both treble and bass clefs so I started self teaching myself picking up things by ear. At a certain point I realized that the reason alot of my Prog Rock heroes sounded so awesome is that they had fairly serious classical backgrounds so at ~15 I started taking lessons from a local woman who was a Juilliard graduate for a couple of years. continued for a couple of semesters at community college w/ a different teacher but my heart was more into rock so I stopped and spent the next 6-7 years playing in rock bands. Just recently started classical lessons again and am really enjoying it.

#411134 11/22/05 12:56 PM
B
B
I started Saxophone in highschool, I remember I wanted to be in the Marching band but I didn't even read music help I remember the director asking everyone to play a Bb concert scale and I didn't know even what Bb or "concert scale" or even just scale meant! eek

I started practing a lot and I got quite a bit better then I saw one of my friends play some crazy classical stuff on piano (don't remember now what pieces they were) and I decided I HAD to be that good. So I've been practicing insanely hard ever since I was about 15.

#411135 01/04/07 05:51 AM
R
R
Hi everyone! May as well use this old thread to introduce myself. :-)

I began to learn to play the piano when I was six. I started with the Suzuki method. I had five teachers over the next six years, ending with a really really good Suzuki teacher who introduced me to reading music properly and the most theory I had ever seen. I was with her from probably age 11-13ish. I then decided that piano was not important, I played the oboe for a year and found it too hard, the flute for a couple of years but got bored, and I taught myself the viola -still drag it out of the closet sometimes!!

I'm now nineteen, just started picking up my old Suzuki rep about three months ago. Now I'm teaching myself the organ and I play regularly at church things. I'd really like to find a piano teacher so I can keep improving (I'm still in volume 4... presently working on the Beethoven sonata - op. 49 I think?? I'd also love to pick up the cello.

#411136 01/04/07 09:10 AM
I started with a Keyboard when I was 8. No teacher. Then a Children's Choir. At 12 I received a Real piano and began taking lessons with a good old lady. At 13 I moved to another city and I knew an incredibly good teacher, Eduardo Montes. I made amazing progress and started playing in public. I won the Conservatory biggest Prize when I was 16. At 17 I moved again and started a serious career. I did a few contests and won a coupple of prizes but in the middle of my studies I almost switched to Orchestral Conducting. Finally I decided not to change and graduated in Piano with Aurora Serratos and Guillermo Salvador. I went to the Netherlands and studied One year of the Postgraduate course with a great teacher, Aquiles Delle Vigne, but I couldn´t finish my doctorate because of a lack of money. I went back to my birth city and started giving lessons. I have 34 students and accompany a lot. Ocassionally I give recitals and play with orchestras.

My greatest achievements: Prokofiev's third concerto, Schumann's, Beethoven's fourth, Tchaikovsky's second and Mozart's 26th concerts, Liszt's Sonata b minor, Schumann's Phantasie, Chopin Etudes and Scherzi, complete. thumb

Chopin forever
#411137 01/04/07 09:32 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I was just sitting down on a park bench reading a newspaper then Liszt's spirit came and possessed my body. I've been playing ever since.

#411138 01/05/07 09:59 AM
I started piano at age 6 with a local piano teacher. I've been taking from her ever since. It has been a very slow expirience with her. I need to be looking for a new teacher. After being in piano for 8 years I'm improvising on the music she's giving me for my regular lesson. I'm working on Beethoven Pathetique Sonata, various Bach works, and the third Hungarian Rhapsody WITHOUT HER. Currently she's having me work on the third John Thompson Book yawn (What a bore, I can sight read all the pieces) Clementi Sonatinas yawn , and [the dreaded] Golden Song book {way too easy!!!!!!!} yawn yawn yawn I'm looking at possibly taking lessons from a college professor this summer. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE G-R-E-A-T!!!! laugh

Current repertoire:
Bach: P&F in E flat Book II
Beethoven: Sonata Op. 57 1st movement
Kennan: Three Preludes
Schumann: Concerto
#411139 01/05/07 10:11 AM
I
I
Started piano as a tiny child on my mother's lap. Took Grade 8 at 12 and diploma at 15. Studied with a professor from the Royal Academy of Music till I was 21 (in the meantime reading music at University).

Had enough at the age of 21 so quit music entirely and became a pilot in the RAF. (Still had a piano at home, and used to play for friends when drunk).

Last year at the age of 36, realised I missed piano dreadfully, and decided that I wanted to go to music college. Have got a place as a mature student for an MMus in performance, and leave the RAF after 16 years to go back to piano. Currently preparing for my LRSM in order to keep me focussed until college.

What a full circle!

#411140 01/05/07 10:37 AM
That's quite a story, Inga. What do you fly in the RAF?

cheez_5: post your question about piano teachers on the teachers forum and at the pianist corner. You'll get some real responses there.

#411141 01/05/07 11:23 AM
I
I
Piano*Dad

I fly Hercules. Have done for about 9 years now. However, really excited and apprehensive about this major career change. However, as most people on the boards know - when it's something you HAVE to do.....

#411142 05/22/07 02:56 PM
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I started playing the piano when I was about 2&a-half at Yamaha(Singapore),because my parents told me that they could'nt afford to do that for my older brother&sister when they were little. Without realising it,I enjoyed practising piano alot and spent lots of time,found that i had the passion for music.
When I was 7, my parents decided to move, at the same time one of my distant family member was teaching piano and she lived in the same neighbourhood so I started to take lessons under her. She always told me that students from Yamaha learn bad habits because they were never paid personal attention to but did'nt teach me how to and never bothered with my fingering.
I carried on with lessons,almost finished all my grades for ABRSM.
When I was 15, I got selected to join a music program but never actually went for it because i got held back in school due to poor grades.
Soon after I turned 16, my parents made the decision to move to Canada partly because my relatives were here,partly my own decision as I wanted to come here to pursue my dream. Before that,my uncle told me about my cousin's piano teacher who was a famous pianist and teacher.
Soon after I moved here, I was accepted as her student because she saw that i had the talent and passion.For at least the 1st 2 years, she made me learn all of scales, technique, almost all it, from scratch because it was so bad that she could'nt stand it.I am so thankful i made it..phew.
I'm currently practically a full-time music student with my private teacher and i'm finishing off my ARCT Performer's Diploma ,just started to compete and perform.
Planning to take a B.A Performer's degree next year.

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
#411143 05/23/07 01:20 AM
I have played the piano for 8 years- I'm 18 at the moment. I started playing at about 10 years old, but i absolutley HATED it!! I just couldn't practice- i was mortified when my teacher said i should be doing 45 minutes a day!
So i stopped after two years, and concentrated on ballet (I wanted to dance professionally..typical little girl aspirations!). Later, in year 8 music class, we had to compose a short melody. After not playing for so long, i went back to the piano to 'revise' and check my mini composition. I realised that i might be interested in lessons again, and got another teacher who COMPLETELY converted me! I had him for 5 years and he was so inspiring- he 'taught' me how to love and appreciated music. Because of him, i'm now studying to be a music teacher, with a new piano teacher at university.
I have since hung up my pointe shoes and practice for 3.5 hours a day smile

"I write music with an exclamation point!" - Richard Wagner
#411144 05/23/07 03:42 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Started piano at 7, didn't really develop a real passion until I was about 11. First piece I truly fell in love with was the Hammerklavier sonata by Beethoven, one I still wish to learn.

I am 17 now, 18 in a few months, and plan to take music in college. My repretoire consists of a number of pieces, and I am currently trying to tackle the Rachmaninov 3rd. Not quite as hard as you would think, just too many darn notes!

The clown is watching you.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Key Linkage, instead of Key Pivot ?
by Charles Cohen - 10/24/20 09:02 PM
Thumping sound from keys
by MsTwinkle - 10/24/20 06:48 PM
Korg D1 fault
by MrButcher - 10/24/20 04:41 PM
Counting sixteenth notes
by Prestzie - 10/24/20 02:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,387
Posts3,016,862
Members99,010
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission