2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 12 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by PootieTooGood:
After all the discussion began with one of the most wildly popular piano pieces being described as bombastic.
And would that Rachmaninov had made some money on it...

Jason
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Probably have to go with the Rach C # minor as well.

That's right...I have the same birthday as Mozart. If only it meant something and I could have one thousandth of his genius...in my dreams, i suppose.
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by argerichfan:
Originally posted by BruceD:
I haven't heard a much more "bombastic" piece than Balakirev's Islamey: much sound and fury but no music.

Hey Bruce! I must politely -but firmly- disagree with you; I simply do not understand what you are talking about. Is there an axe to grind somewhere? I am relatively new to this board, but I have always found your posts to be of especial interest: you truly have something valuable to contribute here. But Islamey? No way.

Why would you think I might have "an axe to grind"? With whom? Over what? What I said is simply a personal opinion. I simply cannot find anything "musical" in Islamay. To me, it is as I stated above: an extremely difficult piece - if not the most difficult in the piano repertoire - that is (to my sensitive ears) nothing but sound and fury, banging and bashing, with no musical interest. That would, without putting to fine a point on it, or trying to refine the definition a little more eloquently, qualify for a piece of bombast. I am not asking that all or anyone agree with me; I'm just stating my opinion.

Others have voiced a similar opinion about the Rachmaninoff C# minor Prelude, and I didn't notice that you were accusing them of "grinding an axe"!

I respect your right to disagree about the musical content - or lack thereof - in Islamey, but I don't think that I have any "axe to grind" with anyone. If you enjoy it, then that's your pleasure. It's certainly not mine.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
D
D
Would Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet - Montagues and Capulets qualify for the definition of bombastic ?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Some of Schumann's piano music tends IMO towards the bombastic (parts of Faschingsschwank, certain Novelettes, etc). Doesn't mean it's not great music though smile .

-Michael B.

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I thought bombastic means loud .. i didn't know that you guys meant it to be loud + low-standard music frown

I like the Rachmaninoff prelude (not like i used to in the past) but i certainly think that it is a fine piece of music, and i still play it to this day

Bassio:
i didn't know that you guys meant it to be loud + low-standard music [Frown]
Nor did I. I took it to mean a composition each of us plays that's perhaps more con brio or con fuoco and/or very rythymic(sp?) and virtuosic in content and fun to play( once mastered) & listen to.

Here's another fun one: Sousa-Horowitz (you guessed it!),
Stars & Stripes Forever.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by BruceD:
If you enjoy it, then that's your pleasure. It's certainly not mine.
Well okay, then. Funnily, I have never thought of the C# minor Prelude as being "bombastic" and confess to being rather surprised that it has been mentioned so often in this thread. In fact, I find little in all of Rachmaninov that is bombastic, at least in how I view the word. But perhaps the 6th of the Moments musicaux comes close. Slim musical pickings indeed...

Jason
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by playliszt:
Here's another fun one: Sousa-Horowitz (you guessed it!),
Stars & Stripes Forever.
"Fun" is an understatement. Jaw-dropping might be more appropriate. wow

Jason
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
In response to Shosti, I agree about Ravel's La Valse for two pianos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwVDbXUmv-M

Mike

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Tausig's transcription of Toccata and Fugue is bombastic I think. I tried playing it and after a while put it aside, as one does. What makes it bombastic is that Tausig in adapting an organ piece for the piano of the day, and being an amazing virtuoso has embellished it with thundering octaves and tenths. It's actually wonderful in parts but it is demanding and well, for my money, I think it is rather bombastic. I think the original organ piece is also bombastic but then a lot of organ music is because it is ceremonial.

It don't mean a ting if it don't have dat swing
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by Yamaha G3 & P-80:
In response to Shosti, I agree about Ravel's La Valse for two pianos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwVDbXUmv-M
Wow! Thanks for sharing that. And Sergio got to kiss Ms. Argerich at the finish. Lucky boy...

Jason
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by Arabesque:
Tausig's transcription of Toccata and Fugue is bombastic I think.
Goes with the territory. Anytime you try to transfer the full sounds of the organ to the piano, a certain amount of bombast will be unavoidable. For all that, Tausig's transcription is leagues ahead of Busoni's, which tends to collapse under it's own crushing weight.

Jason
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by argerichfan:

My candidate: Liszt's Orage from "Années de Pèlerinage". I admire Liszt very, very much, yet I've never heard any pianist make bloody sense out of it. Utterly tawdry.
I have, and it's one of my favourites. Have you tried Brendel's studio recording? I would call it demonic much rather than bombastic, and certainly wouldn't call it tawdry. It's easy to turn the piece into tawdry music, though, as Berman's recording indicates.

S
S
Another piece by Gottschalk - the Fantasy on the Brazilian National Anthem - completely over the top!

Best regards,
Jonathan
Shellman:
Another piece by Gottschalk - the Fantasy on the Brazilian National Anthem - completely over the top!
Agree 100%. Do you know where I can get the sheetmusic? My Gottschalk album doesn't have that one.

F
OP Offline
F
There's also the Scriabin Etude Op 8 nr 12. A nice piece of bombast!

BTW, the term can have negative connotations, but I don't think it's bad to have a little bombast in your repertoire. After all, we play the most self-indulgent instrument there is... laugh Whoever heard of a bombastic flute solo?

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Fughetta 'bout it:
Whoever heard of a bombastic flute solo?
This guy:

[Linked Image]

Sam
I agree with either Rach Prelude in C# or Chopin Etude op.25 no.12

Yamaha C3 yay
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by Antonius Hamus:
[Orage is] one of my favourites. Have you tried Brendel's studio recording? I would call it demonic much rather than bombastic, and certainly wouldn't call it tawdry. It's easy to turn the piece into tawdry music, though, as Berman's recording indicates.
That's interesting. I've not heard Brendel, so that could change my perception. As for Berman, I've noticed he really seems to polarize members here. I don't claim familiarity with very many of his recordings, yet based upon what I have heard, his playing is not to my taste, certainly if his recording of the Transcendental Studies is a fair example.

Jason
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission