2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, 6 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
L
Hey guys! I was planning on recording this with 2 pianos at my teachers house but when I suggested that she told me no, I was to do it alone! I'm preforming this Sunday with 2 piano's this time! But anyway, here's the soloist from the third movement of the Haydn concerto in D major:

http://www.box.net/shared/y1uyakryfe

In case anyone is wondering, I pause when the orchestra is taking over.

In the b minor section (Alberti base section) I know the left hand is way to loud and that there are two value errors (mistaken a 16th for an 8th eek )

My tempo is a little too erradic... laugh

Any comments on this concerto recording... er, half a concerto recording laugh would be great,
Thanks
Matt

[edit] I've entered into a competition with this in December. I'll be playing it like this, piano only. Winner will play with an orchestra in a fairly big concert hall laugh I found out that there is only one other piano competitor in this competition. They'll be playing the first movement of the Beethoven concerto 1. eek It should be an interesting and fun expirience. wink

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
A maxim for performers: Do not tell us what mistakes you made. Those of us who do know do not need to be told, and those who do not, do not need to have them pointed out.

Semipro Tech
M
M
Nice playing! I'm not familiar with this piece, so I'll just tell you what I heard and you can take it or leave it smile .

I would like to hear a bit more of an echo in repeated material, which you can achieve by making the first one slightly louder if you're not able to play the 2nd quieter. Be sure that you don't lose energy when going quieter at the end of phrases here as well. Sometimes when you tried to shape your phrases, they would also lose tempo on the last two notes or so.

At the end with the running 16ths scale pattern, that is very repetitive material so be sure to vary each one slightly somehow to keep the excitement up.

You have a nice feel for this piece, and maintain the sense of humor that I'm sure Haydn was going for.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You really have a very good feeling for this piece and you play as if you enjoy every moment !

(a little too load LH a few places as you said, and you could play with even more drama in the mid part, but I love what you do most of the time - don't let the tempo go away with you at the end ...)

thumb
All I can be is envious !

Ragnhild (who's got the Andsnes recording wink )

Trying to play the piano:
http://www.box.net/public/dbr23ll03e
L
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
L
BDB: Thanks for the tip laugh , this is the first time I've submitted a piece here to get constructive comments.

Morodiene: Thanks. Yep, I've been trying to add some humor as I've been told that Haydn was a pretty funny guy laugh

Ragnhild: How is the Andsnes recording?

Thanks so much,
Matt

What a joy! I saved this for when I got back from work. Your playing is always a pleasure to hear. A few things if you like - near the opening when it touches on the minor broaden out, make more of it. Later you had a passage with turns/trills and consequently markedly slowed down Have you been doing you trill practice? In the recap? you have a lovely singing tune - make more, more dolce (second listen - you must make your audience cry here). I'm going to listen again. Well done.

Oh and so crisp! I normally hate that - but you make it work.

L
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
L
thanks, keyboard... I'm also working on the posture you keep mentioning laugh

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Let's see Debussy20, you are what? Fifteen years old now? (seems I remember seeing a thread where you introduced yourself and gave your age)
If that's the case you have only been alive for less than half the years that I have been playing piano. I can not play pieces half as difficult.
I think your playing is FANTASTIC!

Mike

WHAT???????
Yamaha S6, U5C, P120
http://michaelstith.com
L
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
L
Turned 14 over the summer Mike, thanks for the compliments.

Matt

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The piece is quite clean, and technically very proficient.

I'm not familiar at all with the piece, so I can't comment on interpretation.

The tempo seems a little uneven though, on some fast runs, and more significantly after the pauses.

All in all, Haydn was a funny guy, and you seem to capture the nice Haydn-esque spirit of this piece.

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Debussy20:

Ragnhild: How is the Andsnes recording?
Nothing but fabulous of course laugh

Or seriously, it's one of my absolute favourites cause it's so full of humour and joy and very down to earth, clean crisp playing.

But when I heard you play the Rondo,Matt, I got the same feeling of joy and humour !

The tempo you've chosen from the beginning is almost exactly the same as Andsnes', but he keeps the tempo through the piece, also in the mid part with the trills. (you seem to slow down a little, it's ok if the orchestra agree). The minor part after this just before the return of the main theme (about 2:50) he plays very Mozart-like and a bit more relaxed and sensitive than you (but he's not 14).

Have you listened to recordings while practicing ?

I wish you all the best for your performance.
It would be so great to hear you play with an orchestra. And again, Matt, your playing is fantastic !

Ragnhild

Trying to play the piano:
http://www.box.net/public/dbr23ll03e
L
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
L
I've got the Emanual Ax recording of the concerto. It's very light, very flashy, and VERY fast. I've got some work that I need to do with this.

A friend who played the concerto last year loaned me his "Music Minus One" cd. I don't really like it too much for a few reasons.

Thank you all for your comments.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission