2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#407347 01/17/09 10:19 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Loki:
Speaking of fast octaves...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRUnEuFPcFY
That's impressive. Too bad he butchered the piece. :rolleyes:

BTW, fast repetitions aren't that difficult. It feels more like twitching than deliberate movements. I first learned how to get up to that speed by mimicking Cryptopsy's drummer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB_wCYF4BCM&fmt=18

(The blast beat at the beginning is NOT the fast part! Check out :30.)

#407348 01/17/09 11:03 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by jscomposer:
That's impressive. Too bad he butchered the piece. :rolleyes:
He? laugh

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
#407349 01/18/09 12:39 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Horowitzian:
[b]That's impressive. Too bad he butchered the piece. :rolleyes:
He? laugh [/b]
He??? :rolleyes: Butchered???? :rolleyes:

Btw, too bad we don't have video footage of this thrilling recording...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzZVcP8XsTk

#407350 01/18/09 02:59 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
BTW, take a closer look. Her forearm IS moving up and down at the end (which is the same clip as shown in the beginning).
No it isn't, she's doing them from the wrist, the two stills show that.
Originally posted by JustAnotherPianist:
Let me get this straight, you're posting a video about how to do this, yet you cannot do it yourself?
That's not very straight is it? Where did I post I can't do octaves?

Originally posted by Loki:
Speaking of fast octaves...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRUnEuFPcFY
That lady will damage herself with a posture like that.

#407351 01/18/09 04:41 AM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by keyboardklutz:
[b]BTW, take a closer look. Her forearm IS moving up and down at the end (which is the same clip as shown in the beginning).
No it isn't, she's doing them from the wrist, the two stills show that. [/b]
Looking at stills tells you nothing about the motion. Watch it in motion and keep an eye on her forearm. It's bouncing up and down. Not as much as her hand, of course. Think of it like a whipping motion.

Another thing I learned from Flo Mounier about fast repetitions is to employ some macromovement (the word I want to use is escaping me, so I made one up), or what Taubman would call "shaping". If the hand going up and down at the wrist is a micromovement in 16th notes, then you could smoothly vary the wrist angle and/or employ circular arm motion (macromovement) at a quarter note pace. This relieves tension as you're not repeating the motion from the same exact position every time. It also helps endurance. Here's a visual...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_1RZcM3zso&fmt=18 (look at 1:03)

#407352 01/18/09 04:50 AM
OP Offline
keep an eye on her forearm. It's bouncing up and down.
No, look at the angle of the wrist/forearm in the stills. The first is before key depression the second after. It's all in the wrist. And to be perfectly clear the arm doesn't 'bounce'. Try dropping a piece of meat on the table.

#407353 01/18/09 05:52 AM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
[b] keep an eye on her forearm. It's bouncing up and down.
No, look at the angle of the wrist/forearm in the stills. The first is before key depression the second after. It's all in the wrist. And to be perfectly clear the arm doesn't 'bounce'. Try dropping a piece of meat on the table. [/b]
What's this strange new fetish you have for dropping meat on a table? shocked Dropping a dead slab of meat on a table is different than dropping a living hand on a lever. Again, two stills tell you nothing about the motion. Watch the video, her forearm is moving up and down plain as the eye can see. Now, whether the motion starts at the forearm and the hand reacts similar to a whip, or the motion starts at the wrist and affects the forearm accordingly, is anyone's guess. Considering Tuabman emphasizes the forearm, I'd wager it's option 1. But you can ask Miss Golansky yourself for a clarification.

And try shaping. wink

#407354 01/18/09 06:14 AM
OP Offline
As the first still is at the top of the motion and the second still at the bottom it tells you what you need to know about the motion i.e. no change in position of the forearm.

It is important as, following her advice, the less experienced players will try to use their arm for faster octaves and damage themselves. She should have pointed that out but she (and you) seems to be under the delusion she is using her forearm.

Also I'd jettison the 'whipping' idea - that's no way to treat a hand.

#407355 01/18/09 07:03 AM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I said I think it could be either way. I'm only guessing she's using forearm because Taubman generally focuses on the forearm, and because she even demonstrated the trademark Taubman forearm rotation right before speeding it up. For all we know it could be a mixture of both. The only "delusion" here is your stubborn fixation on two stills, and a refusal to watch the whole motion in action.

#407356 01/18/09 09:19 AM
OP Offline
I have reverted the entire video to its stills. There is no more to see (outside of your imagination). Maybe you need to get some sleep bro.

#407357 01/18/09 09:58 AM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I have reverted the entire video to its stills.
[Linked Image]

I give up. You win. Have fun making your Taubman shrine.

#407358 01/18/09 10:16 AM
I think when people have a problem with Taubman, it's more an issue with the attitude and wording than the technique itself.

Taubman's principles are solid. But her ideas are often presented in a way that suggests that she is the One True Way. People tend to become disciples or followers of Taubman/Golandsky, and they see it as being in opposition to all the other schools of piano playing out there.

What I was trying to show in the video I posted is that physiologically sound and beautiful technique has been around for a long time. Taubman does not have a Gnostic insight into piano technique, she just happens to be right, like several others.

The other problem is that they use phrases like "Perfect Octaves" and "Perfect Double Thirds."

If you watch the "Perfect Double Thirds" video, she describes thirds as having a double rotation.

The technique she describes works perfectly for the double thirds passage in the first Brahms concerto, where the tempo is moderate and a big sound is required, but what about the Chopin double thirds etude, or the opening of Beethoven Op. 2#3? There quite simply isn't time for a double rotation, so what then?

Then there's this little gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16LNzkafBWw

It's a few words on fast playing that does not contain any fast playing! And what kind of fast playing are we talking about? Scale passages? Octaves? Different types of technical figurations (Chopin first prelude, Prokofiev Harp prelude, Rachmaninoff Op. 39#1?)

Again, what she's saying is correct - but she's addressing a very specific kind of problem, but there are other types of fast passages as well. She mentions that the technique many people use destroys legato, but what if you don't want to play legato? Does the technique remain the same or does it change? Obviously, some aspects remain the same while others change - but those are the kinds of issues that tend to be overlooked or glazed over in Taubman's work. (And yes, I've watched the complete set of tapes several times.)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
#407359 01/18/09 11:39 AM
OP Offline
I must admit I can't help laughing when I think of Gould being able to teach the physical aspects of piano playing in 30 minutes whilst Golansky and co need 20 hours of DVD!

#407360 01/18/09 12:38 PM

Simply rather marvellous.
#407361 01/18/09 01:30 PM
OP Offline
That's just great, but I'm not so sure it has much to teach the merely mortal.

#407362 01/18/09 01:35 PM
I'd agree he is naturally gifted, but knowing his practice methods may be enlightening.

#407363 01/18/09 01:58 PM
OP Offline
In that case what are his practice methods?

#407364 01/18/09 02:13 PM
I don't know but at least you can visibly notice the primary motion comes from the wrist joint.

#407365 01/18/09 03:15 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Kreisler:
I think when people have a problem with Taubman, it's more an issue with the attitude and wording than the technique itself.

Taubman's principles are solid. But her ideas are often presented in a way that suggests that she is the One True Way. People tend to become disciples or followers of Taubman/Golandsky, and they see it as being in opposition to all the other schools of piano playing out there.

What I was trying to show in the video I posted is that physiologically sound and beautiful technique has been around for a long time. Taubman does not have a Gnostic insight into piano technique, she just happens to be right, like several others.

The other problem is that they use phrases like "Perfect Octaves" and "Perfect Double Thirds."

If you watch the "Perfect Double Thirds" video, she describes thirds as having a double rotation.

The technique she describes works perfectly for the double thirds passage in the first Brahms concerto, where the tempo is moderate and a big sound is required, but what about the Chopin double thirds etude, or the opening of Beethoven Op. 2#3? There quite simply isn't time for a double rotation, so what then?

Then there's this little gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16LNzkafBWw

It's a few words on fast playing that does not contain any fast playing! And what kind of fast playing are we talking about? Scale passages? Octaves? Different types of technical figurations (Chopin first prelude, Prokofiev Harp prelude, Rachmaninoff Op. 39#1?)

Again, what she's saying is correct - but she's addressing a very specific kind of problem, but there are other types of fast passages as well. She mentions that the technique many people use destroys legato, but what if you don't want to play legato? Does the technique remain the same or does it change? Obviously, some aspects remain the same while others change - but those are the kinds of issues that tend to be overlooked or glazed over in Taubman's work. (And yes, I've watched the complete set of tapes several times.)
The absolutisms are marketing, that's all. Another problem is that people are judging it based on excerpts. Of course you didn't see her playing fast in that clip. It was edited.

As far as Alexei Grynyuk goes, instead of worshiping his technique and doubting yourselves, why don't you try to figure out ways to achieve it? My jaw dropped when I first heard Cryptopsy, but once I got over that, I made progress. Perhaps some people have faster twitch mechanisms genetically, but you'll never know unless you try to push your boundaries. I couldn't move as fast as Flo Mounier initially, but I eventually got there through practice and persistence. Quick tip: start with short bursts--doubles, triples, quadruples... and build up.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission