Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
New in our online store...
Hand Crafted Key Holder
Made From Real Piano Keys
By our resident crafter Kathy, right here at Piano World headquarters in Maine.

Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
58 registered members (Bach_ingMaddie, augustm, Alex_, aeroseb, amad23, Bambers, 14 invisible), 525 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
any modern-day composers who compose Romantic, Classical, or Baroque style music? #407191
12/06/02 05:37 PM
12/06/02 05:37 PM
Lancaster, pa
johnmoonlight Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
johnmoonlight  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
Lancaster, pa
Are there any modern-day, or any 20th century composers who compose Romantic, Classical, or Baroque style music?
I know that this would not be regarded as "cutting edge" but why don't composers ever attempt to revive the old forms since many of us(myself included) can't seem to stomach the modern stuff? Maybe because it would not be a path to fame?
Wouldn't it be great to hear a new piece that follows all of the Baroque, Classical, or Romantic "rules"...or am I the only one who feels this way? Any comments?

While one who sings with his tongue on fire
Gargles in the rat race choir
Bent out of shape from society's pliers
Cares not to come up any higher
But rather get you down in the hole
That he's in.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: any modern-day composers who compose Romantic, Classical, or Baroque style music? #407192
12/06/02 05:47 PM
12/06/02 05:47 PM
Switzerland
M
mrenaud Offline
1000 Post Club Member
mrenaud  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Switzerland
Edgard Varèse said: "Contrary to general belief an artist is never ahead of his time, but most people are far behind theirs."

That sums it all up. In my opinion, the fact that most people today can't appreciate contemporary music is not the composers' fault.

If concert organizers would just be a little more courageous, the people would probably get to know contemporary music better and learn to appreciate it.

I have an ice cream. I cannot mail it, for it will melt.
Re: any modern-day composers who compose Romantic, Classical, or Baroque style music? #407193
12/06/02 05:59 PM
12/06/02 05:59 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
Auckland, New Zealand
John:

There are probably thousands of them. The Terra Verde school springs to mind - a group of composers fusing classical ragtime and Latin American, and extending the forms in various ways. There is hardly a modern chord to be heard but it is beautiful piano music. Try searching on the names David Thomas Roberts, Frank French, Scott Kirby. CDs and scores are available but sometimes not easily. Email me if you get stuck.

I have written a lot in conventionally romantic style, using much tonal melody; much more than I have done in experimental styles in fact. So if somebody like me has chosen to do it the chances are that many other, more capable musicians do so too.

"It is inadvisable to decline a dinner invitation from a plump woman." - Fred Hollows
Re: any modern-day composers who compose Romantic, Classical, or Baroque style music? #407194
12/06/02 06:55 PM
12/06/02 06:55 PM
Irvine, CA
mkesfahani Offline
500 Post Club Member
mkesfahani  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Irvine, CA
I've come to the conclusion that in order to make a living as strictly a classical composer without experimenting and being "cutting edge", one must be associated with either film and/or media or the New Age Tesh/Yanni school.*

*You may substitute the word "crap" here if you wish.

Mike

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: any modern-day composers who compose Romantic, Classical, or Baroque style music? #407195
12/06/02 07:06 PM
12/06/02 07:06 PM
Mr. Gould Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Mr. Gould  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Well I have experimented with some 2 part inventions. They dont sound as good as Bachs though. wink smile

Re: any modern-day composers who compose Romantic, Classical, or Baroque style music? #407196
12/06/02 07:58 PM
12/06/02 07:58 PM
North Groton, NH
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Bernard  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
North Groton, NH
mredaud writes:

If concert organizers would just be a little more courageous, the people would probably get to know contemporary music better and learn to appreciate it.
I think what's more likely is the organizers would end up filing for bankruptcy.

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
Re: any modern-day composers who compose Romantic, Classical, or Baroque style music? #407197
12/06/02 09:52 PM
12/06/02 09:52 PM
S
subarus Offline
subarus  Offline
S
only for academic use as far as I know .. check Martha Meir, Catherine Rollin, Pamela Wedgewood. What musical era are we currently in ,"Early 21th Century" ? Who are the composers and what are the characteristics of classical music in this era ? Or did classical music died after 20th century ?

Re: any modern-day composers who compose Romantic, Classical, or Baroque style music? #407198
12/06/02 10:31 PM
12/06/02 10:31 PM
C
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member
CrashTest  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C
It might be interesting for one's own personal enjoyment to compose music of old, but unless one has something new to communicate, whats the point? I do not care if a modern piece is cutting edge or not, as long as the music itself is sincere and communicates a valid point. Modern music, for whatever era it may appear in, has tradionally been hard on the listeners due to lack of knowledge on their part. I staunchly support works like Boulez's sonatas, because I feel they do communicate something, very musical as a matter of fact. (To contradict established opinions!) A composer of modern day composing in the style of Haydn might yield some value as a novety or peculiarity, but pushing the edge while angering a lot of people is what music is all about! (Just ask Beethoven, or Debussy.. We seem to like them well years later, just like it will happen with music most people can't comprehend now)

Re: any modern-day composers who compose Romantic, Classical, or Baroque style music? #407199
12/06/02 10:45 PM
12/06/02 10:45 PM
North Groton, NH
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Bernard  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
North Groton, NH
Modern music, for whatever era it may appear in, has tradionally been hard on the listeners due to lack of knowledge on their part.
Crashtest, I'm not so sure of this. Mozart's music was wildly popular when he was alive, Beethoven's music was also appreciated to a considerable degree, ditto Debussy. Not that they didn't push buttons, but their music was well liked by many.

On the other hand, there is some contemporary music, which to my ears sounds like orchestral warm-up, that I think is appreciated by a small handful of people.

Isn't there a difference in the degree that past classical composers were accepted versus contemporary atonal composers?

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
Re: any modern-day composers who compose Romantic, Classical, or Baroque style music? #407200
12/06/02 11:02 PM
12/06/02 11:02 PM
C
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member
CrashTest  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C
They were not as accepted as one would like to think. Debussy, while at the conservatoire, was told his music did not "make sense" by teachers there. Chopin himself thought a lot of Beethoven was unattractive. Beethoven's Op. 106 was not understood early on, more recognition of it only came about at the time of Liszt or so. I would speculate that these composers shared the same amount of success in that time that a modern composer does so now, albeit on a smaller scale. Mozart's music was indeed liked, but there have been instances when he was told to compose a "Simpler" sonata in order for more sheet music to be sold. (In the movie Amadeus, the emperor says that Mozart's music contains "Too many notes".) Beethoven and many other composers often had to rely on the aristocracy in order to support themselves, but it by no means indicates that they were fully appreciated by the general populus.

Re: any modern-day composers who compose Romantic, Classical, or Baroque style music? #407201
12/07/02 03:59 AM
12/07/02 03:59 AM
European Union
benedict Offline
2000 Post Club Member
benedict  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
European Union
CrashTest,

As a member of the general populus, I like music that gives me a sense of fulfilment.
Music is a food for the ear/soul as cooking should be food for the body/soul.

Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Brahms, Schubert... speak to me in a very deep and loving way. I do not feel that when I hear serial (dodecaphonic) music. I found it though in Luciano Berio sung by Cathy Berberian.

In painting we have had two approaches in this century : Picasso and Matisse.
Matisse preocuppation is to bring happiness and pleasure ; Picasso is a constant adventurer and explorer of limits.

Both are now widely recognized by the general populus.

Music is a strange art : the general populus seems not to be attracted by moder music after the
middle of 20th Century.

I think the idea of composing baroque or medieval or romantic music a good one.

All ideas with a feeling are good ideas.

And Mozart was immensely popular which does not mean that he won every time.

Benedict
Re: any modern-day composers who compose Romantic, Classical, or Baroque style music? #407202
12/07/02 01:59 PM
12/07/02 01:59 PM
C
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member
CrashTest  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C
Just because some modern music might be composed in a more serial, realistic style does not mean it is void of feeling. I think a good comprimise between modern music and some sort of traditions are in Ligeti's etudes, and even Prokofiev sonatas and the like. Ligeti's etudes, which surely contain a great deal of feeing, is written in a modern idiom of sorts and one far cast from Mozart, but it contains beautiful moments that are more akin to a lyrical Debussyan type of sound, unlike Boulez. so I am sure his popularity will grown even more in the future. It is subjective, but feeling can be found anywhere.I think that feeling is abundant in Webern's variations for piano, or Boulez's 2nd sonata, its a different type of feeling, but a valid one. The sometimes static, atmospheric sounds contrast with the more violent dissonant rhythms, creating an enjoyable experience for me. (Even though it does not really contain a stock melody or certain harmonic structure or climax.) Music is all about how much you like it, so any attempts to justify this or not is ultimately pointless! wink

Re: any modern-day composers who compose Romantic, Classical, or Baroque style music? #407203
12/08/02 05:11 AM
12/08/02 05:11 AM
European Union
benedict Offline
2000 Post Club Member
benedict  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
European Union
CrashTest,

I see your point. Maybe there are as many people who appreciate Ligeti or Boulez or Stockhausen or Varese... than there are who love Rothko,Barnett Newman, Jackson Pollock or Finnegan's wake.

Maybe it is a question of time . But music (and opera) may have played a part in popular entertainment in the time of Mozart and Verdi and Wagner and Puccini that finally was replaced by cinema and television.

Maybe there is as wide a public now for modern composers as there was for the Well Tempered Clavier in the time of Bach or Beethoven's quartet.

This is a fascinating subject, this divorce between contemporary music and the audience of operas and baroque/classic/romantic music, don't you think ?

Benedict

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Highlights of Philly... and its not just the Cheesesteaks
by UnderConstruction. 04/22/18 02:00 AM
Creating practice songs
by ManishP. 04/22/18 01:43 AM
Monitor for reading sheet music
by Angelos58. 04/22/18 01:17 AM
Opening a Roland HP 603?
by Issac. 04/22/18 12:07 AM
Restored pianos - General Question
by almo82. 04/21/18 11:46 PM
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Pianist Magazine
Pianist Magazine - Play Debussy
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics185,172
Posts2,711,735
Members90,041
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission