2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Carey, Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 8 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
So towards the end of the e flat nocturne number 2... my teacher said i needed more sound with those octaves right before that huge line of sixteenth notes.

I know your supposed to drop your weight on to the keyboard to get a good forte instead of attacking the piano in an inefficient way but..

To drop my arm in to those octaves makes me feel like I have to turn my hands in to this tight claw to assure I'll only make the two notes in the octave and my pinky hurts a bit too if i do that.

So then I was looking at a video for some other ideas to try. see link elenakuschnerova if you go to the videos section and watch her performance of chopin's 3rd ballade, towards the end where it gets all crazy you can see how she kind of brings her wrist higher and everything else from the wrist down to the finger tips is kind of limp and way lower than the wrist she hit's the octaves... (sorry for this terrible wording, it's hard to explain) but anyway is that the way one should play octaves, with this high wrist or?????....

Relating back to the nocturne we then have some chromatic descending octaves to and i understand it's marked decrecedo but still how does one get a good sound with a good firm but not tight / effective technique??

suggestions much appreciated

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I use a high wrist in octaves. In fast octave passages I keep my wrist high all the time. In more melodic passages like this one I drop into the notes and then lift my wrist while my fingers hold the notes down. It seems to give a more full tone and helps me emphasize the top note. You really have to bring out that top note more, especially in melodic passages like this one. Practice it slowly at first, and for each octave work on bringing out the most full and beautiful tone you can get, and then gradually bring them up to speed. You will probably want to exaggerate the motion more at first and then reduce the amount of drop-lift as you bring it up to speed, or not.

Hope that makes sense,

Ryan

D
OP Offline
D
thanks Ryan for the advice. We'll see how it goes

D
OP Offline
D
thanks Ryan for the advice. We'll see how it goes in practice :rolleyes: smokin laugh

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Why use your pinky unless it's absolutely necessary?

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Apple,

I'm sorry, I don't understand your question smile

Ryan

Um...because if you don't use it, it'll never get better.

Originally posted by apple:
Why use your pinky unless it's absolutely necessary?

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Ryan, I was responding to Decibel's original question, not your advice. My pinky is weak and small, and I rarely use it when playing a 'melody line', especially with consecutive notes or on a showy top note. In that passage particularly, it is important to play the highest notes with as much umph as possible, and to play with as much legato as is possible. It sounded like Decibel was playing all the notes with 1-5. My #5 is beginning to give out. smile

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Also, remember that anything voiced in a way so that the top note gets most of the attention, will always sound louder to an audience. Experiment with bringing out your pinky more in those octaves and you'll get a much more penetrating sound. If you watch videos of Bolet or Rubenstein, you can physically see that in a slow octave passage, they curve their hand and straighten their pinkies completely so that the top voice rings. If your hands are large enough, experiment with that.

Mike

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by apple:
Ryan, I was responding to Decibel's original question, not your advice. My pinky is weak and small, and I rarely use it when playing a 'melody line', especially with consecutive notes or on a showy top note. In that passage particularly, it is important to play the highest notes with as much umph as possible, and to play with as much legato as is possible. It sounded like Decibel was playing all the notes with 1-5. My #5 is beginning to give out. smile
Ah, I get it smile

I tend to use 1-5 too, except sometimes 1-4 if the top note is a black key. I wouldn't use 1-4 all the time, though, because I would be nervous of the stress it caused. Even more so if I had a small hand.

I like Kreisler's answer better though smile

Ryan

D
OP Offline
D
Thanks for all the comments, the only time in that particula passage that i would use a 1 4 octave would be the part where it's coming down chromatically. then my teacher says it's important to do 1 5 , 1 4 , 1 5 .... to connect it all and keep the legato going..

Another place where i'm having touble keeping the intensity of the sound.

with time.... time, work, listening, and patience.
thumb

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You don't have to use 1 5, 1 4, 1 5 - you can use pedal to connect the octaves and nobody will ever know the difference.

Ryan

D
OP Offline
D
in response to Ryan's suggestion above:

THAT'S WHAT I SAY!!!!

My teacher though seems totally bent on the idea that it will effect how you play the next note, or chord how you move between them, regardless of wether or not the pedal is down and holding the sound...

which makes sense but sometimes i feel like, well... no one will know the difference anyway, and i'm not going to the van cliburn competition anytime soon so.....

granted, she's probablly just trying to instill good practices

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
hehe! If you use the drop-lift technique with a flexible wrist you can smoothly move between the octaves, achieve great tone quality, and nobody will even know! That said, you can achieve the same results with 4 on the black keys, which is what I used to do by habit. Now I tend to like 5 better in louder passages - I think it's better suited to that role. When I use 4 on top I sometimes notice twinges underneath my wrist when I really press into the keys.

Ryan

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission