2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 8 invisible), 1,218 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#405821 12/20/07 01:08 PM
L
Lento Offline OP
OP Offline
L
When I practice chromatic scales in octaves, I use 1-5 on white keys, and 1-4 on the black keys. But if you are doing a regular (non-chromatic) scale in octaves, is there any useful fingering for going from one white key to the next? perhaps 1-3,1-4,1-5? Would practicing a fingering like that make me better in the long run?

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Yes, I would definitely doing that for say, B major octaves for example on the consecutive black keys. It's a bit harder for me to do that on white keys, however, because of my hand size. It depends on the context, but if it is comfortable to do the 1-3, 1-4, 1-5, then this is the preferred fingering for you. It will help your scales to be clear because the 3-4-5 will keep you grounded while the thumb jumps up to the next note.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
Lento Offline OP
OP Offline
L
ok, great! thanks very much

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
if you have a larger hand span, you may try to use 13, 14, 15 alternatively on white keys, especially when you need legato for the octave passage, as my teacher told me. but to me it's a little too much stretch to do it that way for my hands. for fast octave passages (white/black) however, you could just stick to one fingering, because there's no need to connect one octave to next one.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I'm in the learning stage of the Mendelssohn concerto in G minor. In the opening piano solo the pianist plays a D-Major scales in paralell octaves. My hand just won't stretch to the 1-4 on the black keys without creating some sort of tension and eventually hurts my hands. I have to use 1-5 on the scales but I keep my finger higher up on the key istead of near the edge.

M
M
I think with most fingering, one has to find what works best for the size and shape of their hands. It's OK to get other's ideas, as they may happen to work for you, but you have to go based on how it feels.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
A
Originally posted by Debussy20:
I'm in the learning stage of the Mendelssohn concerto in G minor. In the opening piano solo the pianist plays a D-Major scales in parallel octaves. My hand just won't stretch to the 1-4 on the black keys without creating some sort of tension and eventually hurts my hands. I have to use 1-5 on the scales but I keep my finger higher up on the key istead of near the edge.
I used to play octaves exclusively with 1-5. Now that I've gained a bit more flexibility in the hand, 1-4 is comfortable for legato passages, and for staccato if it's not too loud. But for the sort of "brilliant" concerto-style octave playing that you have in the Mendelssohn there, I would still do 1-5 all the way--it lets me use more power without worrying about hurting myself while I'm at full stretch. The price you pay is that moving between black and white keys is a little less comfortable so you need to spend more time practising carefully for accuracy--your comment about keeping the fingers higher up the (white) keys is spot on.

If your hands are big enough that 1-4 feels comfortable, then you should use it as much as possible. But those of us with smaller hands have to find ways to work around it.

Have fun with the Mendelssohn--it's a very lively piece!

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally posted by Alexander Hanysz:
[b] I'm in the learning stage of the Mendelssohn concerto in G minor. In the opening piano solo the pianist plays a D-Major scales in parallel octaves. My hand just won't stretch to the 1-4 on the black keys without creating some sort of tension and eventually hurts my hands. I have to use 1-5 on the scales but I keep my finger higher up on the key istead of near the edge.
Have fun with the Mendelssohn--it's a very lively piece! [/b]
Haha yes it is! It's full of passion, animation, and arps eek

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Alexander Hanysz:
[b]
[b] I'm in the learning stage of the Mendelssohn concerto in G minor. In the opening piano solo the pianist plays a D-Major scales in parallel octaves. My hand just won't stretch to the 1-4 on the black keys without creating some sort of tension and eventually hurts my hands. I have to use 1-5 on the scales but I keep my finger higher up on the key istead of near the edge.
Have fun with the Mendelssohn--it's a very lively piece! [/b]
Haha yes it is! It's full of passion, animation, and arps eek [/b]
Well, with your technique, you can tame those arps! Turn eek into thumb

laugh

You KNOW you love my new sig, d20.

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission