2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 9 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
O
The MacDowell No. 2 - it has everything! I first heard this piece 35 years ago and it is stil one of my favorites. Dramatic, lyrical, playful. Technically challenging. Another one to consider.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Mr. E:
Originally posted by signa:
[b] i like Saint-Saens 4th as well, which has some haunting effect on me. i saw live performance of Dvorak's concerto once, but wasn't so impressed with the music though.
Really? The Dvorak is also one of my favorites. [/b]
Yeah, I like it a lot. Dvorak was a wonderful orchestrator. The piano part's good, too. wink

Richter/Kleiber made a wonderful recording of this concerto.

Sam
P
P
Even though I like the piece in some ways, the Dvorak concerto suffers from awful structural problems. It's just a string of pretty sections with intermittent flash and "climaxes" that just come out of nowhere.

The Rubinstein 4th concerto is simply no good. It lacks a single interesting melody, it's formally predictable, and it isn't even very original piano writing (nothing here that Liszt hadn't already done). The only reason this piece still gets mentionned is because Hoffmann liked it (and of course he would be partial to a gift to him from his famous teacher).

Saint-Saens 4 just gets SO irritating with that one little motive repeated 1000 times in the first movement. Who wants to learn all those notes for so little musical reward?

Weber Konzertstucke--yuck!

In general, the ten or so 19th-century concerti that we hear over and over again really are the creme of that particular crop; I think time has chosen its favorites wisely. That Hyperion series "The Romantic Piano Concertos," which seems to have more than a few listeners on this thread, has tried to do a great thing by reviving interest in forgotten repertoire, and was probably inspired by the current trend toward neo-romanticism, but it's definitely fooled a lot of people into thinking that those pieces are genuinely interesting, independently of historical interest.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
PianoJohn does have a point, and time somehow has filtered out those good and well known ones from those less known or forgotten.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Still, it's refreshing to hear something other than the usual piano concerti, even if they're perhaps a cut below the greats. Listening to the exact same concerti (great as they are) over and over again gets boring - I enjoy hearing something different now and then.

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
The MacDowell No. 2 - it has everything! I first heard this piece 35 years ago and it is stil one of my favorites. Dramatic, lyrical, playful. Technically challenging. Another one to consider.
In one of Rachmaninoff's letters:
"Went to a concert last night and heard a terrible concerto by some American composer named Dowell..."

Well, I like it. In my earlier days I collected scores of unknown concertos:
*Albeniz
*Brull 2 (delightful)
*d'Albert
*Czerny a minor (gotta identify the key since he wrote 1 concerto about 200 times!)
*Dohnanyi 1 & 2
*Hummel a min. & b-min.
*Kuhlau
*Moszkowski
*Raff
*Reinecke 1
*Scharwenka 2
*Sgambatti
*Weber 1 & 2

Whole slew of others I can't recall at the moment.
All of them gathering dust in my closet. frown

Townley: Piano Concerto No 2 in C Minor Op 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK1WR7oPY44
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Joey Townley:
...All of them gathering dust in my closet. frown
Hmmm... A closet concerto collector. Well, we won't tell anyone if you don't want us to. wink

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Off the record, on the QT, and very hush-hush... wink

Townley: Piano Concerto No 2 in C Minor Op 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK1WR7oPY44
In September of 2005 I posed a question to this forumon concerning Piano Concertos. I received some helpful answers to my questions which prompted me to purchase many piano concertos written by composers with whom I was unfamiliar. The "Hyperion" series was a revelation which led me to the music of Xaver Scharwenka. His Piano Concerto #3 in C# minor, op 80, has become my favorite Piano Concerto (Especially the 1st and 3rd movement). I love this music and I am trying to find the score transcribed for two pianos. So far with no results. (Any help appreciated!)
If you are unfamiliar with this composition, I urge you to give it a listen. I love it! I hope you do too!

Best Wishes,
Jim Bottom

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Shosti:
The Shostakovich ones aren't played too often, and while they're not obscure, I think they're absolutely first-rate concertos- masterpieces. I think the second one gets played a little more as it's an appropriate student concerto.
Yeah, plus the second one is one of the few (only, possibly!) 'happy' pieces that he wrote - and even then it's debatable!

P
P
Originally posted by signa:
i saw live performance of Dvorak's concerto once, but wasn't so impressed with the music though.
I wasn't impressed either. I agree with PianoJohn. Though I heard it's treacherously difficult.

prok
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Czerny's Concerto in C Major for Piano 4 Hands, Op.153.

This is music so delightful it is guaranteed to make you smile.

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Richard Andinsell (spelling?)- Warsaw Concerto...

Beautiful music... quite similar to Rachmaninov I think.

Kawai ES-110

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is never enough for music."
-Sergei Rachmaninoff.
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
*laughs* It's not marketing so much as popularity. Due to music being an art form, it is subject to popularity contests. What is most popular gets played more often. The question you've got to start asking is, "Why are the more-played concertos more popular than the less-played concertos?" And the obvious follow-up, "Is it because they are better?"

To the last question, I would answer no. They are more memorable, but 'better' requires some concrete to compare to, and art is certainly not meant to be concrete or perfect. wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
Joey: Is your Moszkowsi concerto transcribed for second piano, but any chance? If it is, whats the publisher? I'm going to try to get my music store to dig it up from somewhere--they're pretty good at that. Its somehow become one of my favorite concertos. eek

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
MacDowell 2nd (the "terrible" concerto Rachmaninoff complained about must have been the 1st) -- Wild and Cliburn both do it well; and

Hummel's two concertos -- Hough's recording is magnificent.

Phil Bjorlo
P
P
I don't know how frequently played the Bartok concertos are (I'd be glad to be enlightened on that), but while we're on the topic of concertos, I'll just chime in that Bartok 3 has a really nice 2nd movement. (I didn't want to dig up the old concerto second movements thread.)

prok
D
D
Also Hummel's concerti are quite nice. Among the 20th century ones, Pancho Vladigerov has 5 of them, the first and the 3rd are quite good.

Dimiter Terziev, M.Mus
Piano lessons and sales
Bohemia, August Foerster, Used Yamaha and Kawai
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Anybody listened to Selim Palmgren's piano concertos? I listened to some of them years ago (only once), and can't recall much anything about them...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000026CP8/

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The Moszkowski Concerto is published by Peters in a 2-piano score and is available from SheetMusicPlus.

Semipro Tech
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission