2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
39 members (Bentsch, Cushite, clothearednincompo, Animisha, Alex C, cliowa, Abdol, 12 invisible), 475 guests, and 499 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Your Least Favorite Composers?
#403004 08/19/08 01:12 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by wr:
Originally posted by Fleeting Visions:
[b] I can't stand:

Bach (Can't he use NEW thematic material??)
Beethoven (Why's he so dang awkward?)
Brahms (Just like Bach- and what's this counterpoint obsession?)
Scriabin (Lay off the drugs!!!!!)
Chopin (Girly Man)
Liszt (Showy, knows nothing about thematic development or form)
Rachmaninoff (Get over yourself!)
Prokofiev (Wrong notes!!!!!!!!!!)]
Carl Vine ( Too romantic sounding. Needs more cowbell.)

Anyone else I missed?
LOL!

Yeah, you missed:

Poulenc (Cafe music for the absinthe addled)

Schumann (One more manic episode based on trite sequential repetitions and I'm gonna start killing...)

Shostakovich (Press A for Despair, Press B for Irony, Press C for... oh, wait, there are only two buttons)

Schoenberg (Like Wagner, an ego bully of the worst sort, with similar ideas of world domination, but with an even better SYSTEM and METHOD which you WILL OBEY)

Webern (Mr. Plink-Plonk; worshipped Schoenberg and had daddy issues...what more do you need to know?)

Barber (the longest sad and nostalgic sigh in history [sob] )

Schubert (Just too affectionate and cozy for comfort, you know?)

Busoni (Fantasia whattistica??? Another way to spell "overbearing pretentious nonsense", right?)

Carter (Hint: just because you figured out how to notate it doesn't automatically make it worth hearing.)

Debussy (It may be "for the piano", but it sure ain't "for the hands" that play the piano.)

Ravel (Where amateurs go to die)

Godowsky (Richard Strauss meets Liberace)

Messiaen (It's just not the same without all the pretty colors swirling about. LSD, anyone?)

Mussorgsky (Better do some shots first) [/b]
What do you like?

Bach - WTC I in C major & C minor (BWV 846-847)
Mozart - Sonata K 282
Chopin - Polonaises Op 26
Schumann - Fantasiestücke Op 12
#403005 08/19/08 01:12 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I never liked Elgar much. The poor guy strained as hard as he could, but could almost never make a melody worth remembering. I do like parts of the Enigma variations, though.

Scott
#403006 08/19/08 01:19 PM
W
W
I don't like melody much, but I love motifs.

#403007 08/19/08 02:04 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Mahler, now there is some soul!! Such passion!

Signa, I know Mozart's piano concertos and sonatas, that's where I find the most grievous lack of soul. I guess it's just a matter of taste.

#403008 08/19/08 03:00 PM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by phonehome:
Mozart was the Andrew Lloyd Weber of his time. Apart from his operas and requiem, his entire output is nothing more than soulless, mind-numbing pop music. He wrote as one with the emotional capacity of a seven year old with brain damage. Periodic phrase structure is the opiate of the snobs. I'd rather listen to a bad performance of The Veggie Tales Musical than a great performance of Mozart. "Oh, Caruthers, would you listen to how he shaped that lovely phrase? Oh pass the caviar would you? mmmyesssss I looooooove Mozart! Where is my mistress?"
I am sorry, Phonehome, but to me it is incredible that anyone can have such a view of Mozart. It is simply beyond my comprehension. Have you ever listened to the G minor string quintet? Or the Ave Verum Corpus? The Jupiter Symphony written by a seven year old with brain damage?

I don't see how you can except his operas from your view, as so much of his instrumental music is permeated by opera. It is so evident in K333, which I am currently working on.

Mozart is, in fact, one of the few composers (Berlioz is another) who can bring incipient tears to my eyes just by thinking about certain passages.

I love many (not all) composers. But I always come back to Mozart. Especially at the piano.

#403009 08/19/08 03:27 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I don't believe that music of the Classical period allows for much "soul." The music of this time had to be expressive yet strictly structured. Proportion and balance played a huge part in sonatas, concertos, trios, quartets, and more. So, at least to me, you don't look to Mozart, Haydn, or Clementi for their free-spiritedness and pure emotional content but instead for their melodic yet structured masterpieces.

Mozart - Sonata K 282
#403010 08/19/08 04:09 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
See Haydn, Beethoven, and Schubert for examples of deep personal expression within classical restrictions. David-G, I like that quartet, at least comparatively to other Mozart, and the Ave Verum Corpus is pretty, but almost all of his symphonies and piano/piano and orchestra music just sound dead to me.

#403011 08/19/08 10:18 PM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally posted by akonow:
Originally posted by wr:
[b]
[b] I can't stand:

Bach (Can't he use NEW thematic material??)
Beethoven (Why's he so dang awkward?)
Brahms (Just like Bach- and what's this counterpoint obsession?)
Scriabin (Lay off the drugs!!!!!)
Chopin (Girly Man)
Liszt (Showy, knows nothing about thematic development or form)
Rachmaninoff (Get over yourself!)
Prokofiev (Wrong notes!!!!!!!!!!)]
Carl Vine ( Too romantic sounding. Needs more cowbell.)

Anyone else I missed?
LOL!

Yeah, you missed:

Poulenc (Cafe music for the absinthe addled)

Schumann (One more manic episode based on trite sequential repetitions and I'm gonna start killing...)

Shostakovich (Press A for Despair, Press B for Irony, Press C for... oh, wait, there are only two buttons)

Schoenberg (Like Wagner, an ego bully of the worst sort, with similar ideas of world domination, but with an even better SYSTEM and METHOD which you WILL OBEY)

Webern (Mr. Plink-Plonk; worshipped Schoenberg and had daddy issues...what more do you need to know?)

Barber (the longest sad and nostalgic sigh in history [sob] )

Schubert (Just too affectionate and cozy for comfort, you know?)

Busoni (Fantasia whattistica??? Another way to spell "overbearing pretentious nonsense", right?)

Carter (Hint: just because you figured out how to notate it doesn't automatically make it worth hearing.)

Debussy (It may be "for the piano", but it sure ain't "for the hands" that play the piano.)

Ravel (Where amateurs go to die)

Godowsky (Richard Strauss meets Liberace)

Messiaen (It's just not the same without all the pretty colors swirling about. LSD, anyone?)

Mussorgsky (Better do some shots first) [/b]
What do you like? [/b]
Actually, I like most of the ones listed, and really love some of them...I was just being irreverent for the fun of it.

#403012 08/19/08 10:46 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't like Rachmaninoff's music too much, the only vague justification I can give is the cliched "it doesn't have soul" excuse. I don't know how else to describe it, but Rachmaninoff's music just doesn't really do it for me. To some extent this goes for Liszt as well, but there are many Liszt works that I enjoy immensely, much more than Rachmaninoff's.

Other composers I'm not a fan of:
Wagner
Schoenberg
Most other composers post-Debussy
Alkan

For comparison, my favourite composers are very predictable:
Bach
Beethoven
Debussy
Ravel
Chopin

http://www.youtube.com/user/Theowne- Piano Videos (Ravel, Debussy, etc) & Original Compositions
音楽は楽しいですね。。。
#403013 08/19/08 10:55 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Theowne:
Alkan
I actually used to feel ambivalent towards Alkan but I bought Hamelin's CD a few months ago and fell in love with Alkan. You have to give him a chance; on first listen he's rather uninteresting but you have to just give him time and you'll grow fonder and fonder of him. I suggest listening to Alleluia; it's incredibly beautiful.

Mozart - Sonata K 282
#403014 08/19/08 10:57 PM
B
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by David Staff:
mrenaud
A child of 4 with a selection of percussive instruments could succesfully emulate Messiaen
Let me guess: you listened something on YouTube by Messiaen, drank some chocolate milk, and came up with that assessment.

#403015 08/19/08 10:59 PM
S
S
'Hate' is such a strong word to use. However - not as OT as it may seem - I can use it to describe, with one exception, any compilation of several composers lumped together on a single CD. Or even a movement from one piece followed by a movement from another piece of the same composer. I really dislike this. It actually rattles me!

The only exception are compilations of Early Music where many works are anonymous or are attributed to more than a single composer.

The 'new' composer on the other articifial 'compilation' discs I really dislike intensely.

Is this being too elitist???

Regards,

ILH

"Oh for a world with no 'muzak' in stores ...."
#403016 08/19/08 11:05 PM
B
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by argerichfan:

But surely you jest, Brendan?

Bruckner is admittedly an acquired taste for some, but I'd start with the 7th Symphony, you can leave the more difficult 5th and his (to me) glorious mass settings for later... if ever. wink

I have a hard time with his music. For me, Berlioz and Bruckner are top-notch, colorful orchestrators but not the best composers in terms of musical material. I know, it makes the fact that I like Mahler make even less sense! smile

It's well known amongst some folks here that I'm not the greatest admirer of Mahler (though his orchestration is nonpareil) and if I never hear the Shostakovich 5th Symphony again, I'll count my blessings. Give me the 6th!

Definitely agree! There are some beautiful moments in the first movement of the 6th. It's a very fulfilling symphony. Also, if we're talking "slow climactic" finales, I think that the last movement of the 7th trumps the 5th, hands-down.

#403017 08/19/08 11:19 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I like Bruckner more than Mahler because I feel that Bruckner has some more clearly etched ideas. I found the 8th symphony a good introduction as its form is fairly straightforward.

Amateur Pianist, Scriabin Enthusiast, and Octave Demon
#403018 08/20/08 07:05 AM
T
T
Originally posted by akonow:
I don't believe that music of the Classical period allows for much "soul." The music of this time had to be expressive yet strictly structured. Proportion and balance played a huge part in sonatas, concertos, trios, quartets, and more. So, at least to me, you don't look to Mozart, Haydn, or Clementi for their free-spiritedness and pure emotional content but instead for their melodic yet structured masterpieces.
(Something of a tangent but here goes anyway.) I'm sure Mozart, Haydn and Clementi all felt their music had soul. They didn't consciously write in a Classical style: that's just our retrospective analysis, with the benefit of seeing how styles developed and perceptions of music (including its function) changed. Mozart, I'm sure, thought his sonata (k.457) and fantasy in C minor (k.475) embodied all manner of emotions that we might attribute to the traditional 'romantic' period, even though he is labelled as someone belonging to the Classical period. Beethoven, heavily influenced by such pieces composed the Pathetique sonata, a piece which some might argue belongs in the early stages of a romantic tradition. Was Mozart constrained by "proportion and balance" and "strict" structures, and therefore writing less "soulfully" simply because he lived earlier than Beethoven? The idea that the Classical period was a time of restraint, poise and balance which therefore informs the emotional content of its music is a value judgment that belongs to an outdated (though undoubtedly well-intentioned) attempt to compartmentalise the course of musical history.

The emotional content or soul of a piece is not dictated by the musical label that we now choose to impose on composers. That is evident enough from the comments by posters who find that the music of Mozart deeply moves them.

#403019 08/20/08 08:00 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A friend of mine is always singing the praises of the music of Anton Rubinstein. I've no objection to the third and fourth concertos but a "spin" of an old Vox LP of the "Ocean" symphony which I own seemed to confirm my impression that most of Rubinstein's music was largely meandering, uninspired claptrap. Imagine my surprise when, courtesy of my friend, I listened to the work again recorded by a fine Russian orchestra rather than the provincial band with its ropey strings that Vox had used for its recording and found the work transformed. Rubinstein is still a long way down on any list of composers I like, but I think he, along with many unfamiliar composers who are represented in the record catalogues (the music is seldom given live) might suffer from the disservice of bad performances.
I understand now why those entrusted with the promotion of Rutland Boughton's music will not allow any performances or recordings of his work other than those given by first-class performers.

For those composers who are treated decently in performance, I've never cared very much for the music of Aaron Copland and his ilk (is that what Stravinsky termed the "Appalachian" school?) although the Clarinet Concerto of Copland has a beautiful opening movement.
I don't consider Andrew Lloyd Webber (mentioned elsewhere) a composer in any real sense at all!

#403020 08/20/08 08:51 AM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally posted by Brendan:
Originally posted by David Staff:
[b] mrenaud
A child of 4 with a selection of percussive instruments could succesfully emulate Messiaen
Let me guess: you listened something on YouTube by Messiaen, drank some chocolate milk, and came up with that assessment. [/b]
hahahahhahahahaha awesome

#403021 08/20/08 09:34 AM
S
S
Gosh if this includes all non classical composers
up to present day, I think I can do away with
all the heavy metal and rap craps ... who ever
invented that style of noise and more craps composed
followingly.

#403022 08/20/08 09:43 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Rap is the highest form of art- its encapsulation of rhythm, the sexual and chemical act, and highly restricted vocabulary set it far apart from traditional music.

Amateur Pianist, Scriabin Enthusiast, and Octave Demon
#403023 08/20/08 09:53 AM
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Rap is the highest form of art- its encapsulation of rhythm, the sexual and chemical act, and highly restricted vocabulary set it far apart from traditional music.
Yes, very far apart. About as far apart as a latrine is from a palatial boudoir in Dubai.

Not that I'm making any value judgments mind you...

Jason
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Introductions to the great composers
by Animisha - 01/19/21 02:43 AM
NAMM 2021 Keyboards & Digital Pianos
by Osho - 01/18/21 08:57 PM
Advice on Grey Market Yamahas - Melbourne, Vic
by Tim_Au - 01/18/21 08:08 PM
Faulty Anytime in Kawai GE-30 AT
by Lempriere - 01/18/21 07:39 PM
Can I sell Garritan CFX?
by Tigris90 - 01/18/21 07:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,373
Posts3,048,784
Members100,115
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission