2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndrewJCW, Bluthendorfer, anotherscott, bohemiatotal, Abdol, 16 invisible), 852 guests, and 558 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Your Least Favorite Composers?
#402964 07/31/08 12:20 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Debussy
can't think of any others right now.

Houston, Texas
#402965 07/31/08 12:27 AM
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by Brendan:
Schubert
Debussy
Berlioz
Rachmaninoff
Bruckner
Ouch. eek

But surely you jest, Brendan?

Bruckner is admittedly an acquired taste for some, but I'd start with the 7th Symphony, you can leave the more difficult 5th and his (to me) glorious mass settings for later... if ever. wink

It's well known amongst some folks here that I'm not the greatest admirer of Mahler (though his orchestration is nonpareil) and if I never hear the Shostakovich 5th Symphony again, I'll count my blessings. Give me the 6th!

Otherwise, a least favourite composer of mine would definitely be Delius. He is very admired in some -chiefly British- circles, but thank-you I'll pass. His tone poem Brigg Fair is an outrageous exercise in stretching the thinnest musical material over the most bloated time frame. It feels longer than the first act of Gotterdamerung. (Not a criticism of Wagner, mind you. I love his music.)

Jason
#402966 07/31/08 04:27 AM
R
R
Originally posted by sotto voce:
I'm a little bit amazed that this thread has reached three pages with so few mentions of Wagner (for whatever reason) and, if I'm not mistaken, no mentions of either Schumann or Chopin!

While my own reverence for Chopin above all others borders on worshipful devotion, I've come to expect that there's invariably someone in every crowd who feels distinctly differently!
Well let me give you my vote then! wink Among the composers most frequently discussed around here, Chopin and Schumann are my least favourite composers, together with Brahms and Mendelssohn. Not that I really dislike them, they all have their moments (Chopin perhaps a bit more than the other three), but I can't help getting bored by the majority of their works. yawn

#402967 07/31/08 04:28 AM
R
R
Originally posted by sotto voce:
I'm a little bit amazed that this thread has reached three pages with so few mentions of Wagner (for whatever reason) and, if I'm not mistaken, no mentions of either Schumann or Chopin!
I dislike:

* late-romantic composers. Way too pedantic, pompous, full of sentimentality. Also late-romantic pieces are often of "hellish length". Most of all I dislike Schumann (although I do like his piano quintet and some parts of the Kreisleriana), also Liszt, the Five Russians, Rachmaninoff.

* atonal (Schoenberg and followers)

I think overrated: Mozart

btw As a Bartók fan, I am honestly happy to see Bartók mentioned: being disliked by some is almost necessary for a composer of a very personal own style.

Robert Kenessy

.. it seems to me that the inherent nature [of the piano tone] becomes really expressive only by means of the present tendency to use the piano as a percussion instrument - Béla Bartók, early 1927.
#402968 07/31/08 04:44 AM
D
D
Having listened to several (ie far too many) works by Messiaen from this years Proms, he really must go to the top of my list. What an unholy noise, proof that it is possible to fool all the people all the time. God knows what sort of turmoil must have existed in this man's brain to produce this sort of tosh.

#402969 07/31/08 04:45 AM
D
D
I used to dislike Liszt for many years, couldn´t stand to hear his works, but as I evolved as a listner and player, I grew to understand more and more of his music, and have even come to love much of it. Some of it is not great however, especially regarding his earlier works Age_of_Anxiety´s statements are appliable, but surely, with an artist as versitale as Liszt, there is something for everyone, if you just know where to look. Though it´s not easliy accessible.

#402970 07/31/08 07:40 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by RogerW:
Among the composers most frequently discussed around here, Chopin and Schumann are my least favourite composers, together with Brahms and Mendelssohn. Not that I really dislike them, they all have their moments (Chopin perhaps a bit more than the other three), but I can't help getting bored by the majority of their works. yawn
...thought you might have saved that yawn for Sibelius wink

Michael
#402971 07/31/08 07:40 AM
When I hear Vivaldi's music I just want to run full speed into a brick wall and knock myself out

#402972 07/31/08 11:32 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
J. Strauss, Jr.
Liszt
Czerny
Wagner
Schonberg
Satie
and most of the crazy atonal composers

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
#402973 07/31/08 12:26 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by David Staff:
Having listened to several (ie far too many) works by Messiaen from this years Proms, he really must go to the top of my list. What an unholy noise, proof that it is possible to fool all the people all the time. God knows what sort of turmoil must have existed in this man's brain to produce this sort of tosh.
Who are you calling a fool?

To stay on topic, the following I don't like very much:

- Bach
- Brahms
- Chopin
- occasionally Rachmaninov, depending on my mood

I have an ice cream. I cannot mail it, for it will melt.
#402974 08/19/08 01:24 AM
S
S
Ever been n a situation which has spoiled the enjoyment/playing/studying of a particular composer due to a specific work that one is 'forced' to listen to?

Let me explain. On the return from Canberra on QANTAS, - a short 45 minute or so flight - it is the airline's policy on night returns to lower all cabin lights for the last 10 or so minutes before landing. Why? Probably because the majority of the passengers are public (civil) servants who have often made the trip, - and lights of Melbourne are considered relaxing ....

For some reason on such a night return to Melbourne we had to hold for around 15 minutes. During this entire time over the cabin address situation part of Ravel's Bolero kept playing over and over and over again. (I hope someone from QANTAS may on the off chance read this!) It has put me off Bolero for good and even made me hestant listening to Revel's shorter pieces such as his Pavane pour une Infante défunte - originally written for Piano - as well.

Enjoyed the postings re Glass BTW! Yes - a composer as a whole can be in a 'least favourite' category - but with me usually it is part of any individual's output only. Heavy serialistic music I do tend to class as **certain** atonal pieces more as study works than to enjoy per se.

All the best as always from a wet and cold Victoria!

ILH

"Oh for a world with no 'muzak' in stores ...."
#402975 08/19/08 01:33 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I can't stand:

Bach (Can't he use NEW thematic material??)
Beethoven (Why's he so dang awkward?)
Brahms (Just like Bach- and what's this counterpoint obsession?)
Scriabin (Lay off the drugs!!!!!)
Chopin (Girly Man)
Liszt (Showy, knows nothing about thematic development or form)
Rachmaninoff (Get over yourself!)
Prokofiev (Wrong notes!!!!!!!!!!)]
Carl Vine ( Too romantic sounding. Needs more cowbell.)

Anyone else I missed?

Amateur Pianist, Scriabin Enthusiast, and Octave Demon
#402976 08/19/08 01:51 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Barber (I'm tried of coming up with excuses)
Bartok (I can't take the raw ferocity)
Britten

Amateur Pianist, Scriabin Enthusiast, and Octave Demon
#402977 08/19/08 01:53 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I cry everytime I see Liszt and Rachmaninoff on this list. Nevertheless, I will say I despise most Bach and appreciate but don't enjoy listening to almost all music of the 20th century (save the late-romantics and impressionists).

Bach - WTC I in C major & C minor (BWV 846-847)
Mozart - Sonata K 282
Chopin - Polonaises Op 26
Schumann - Fantasiestücke Op 12
#402978 08/19/08 01:58 AM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I cry everytime I see Liszt and Rachmaninoff on this list too frown Liszt is simple and flashy, but he has some nice melodies even in his showy pieces (Mazeppa for one got good comments from a piano/showy piece hater that I know). Rachmaninoff was never meant to be showy so...

I hate Mozart. I was tortured with his sonatas for 5 whole years because of some issues... I'm completely sick of his music. I hate his music even more because it's completely overrated and people always rave "MOZART MOZART MOZART!!!"
I also hate a lot of the people after Prokofiev. Messaien for one, is disgusting.

#402979 08/19/08 02:13 AM
S
S
Reading the above two posts in particular - a thought has just crossed my mind.

If you feel you really 'despise' a particular composer - with no disrespect for your feelings - have you ever considered getting a cheap year's subscription at NAXOS that will enable you to listen to around 38,000 plus complete CD's at your leisure? One can listen to part of individual movements, compare them to others etc etc.

This way you should either have your views qualified or even strengthened. But the process would be akin to going to Tower Records or similar depending on where you live, and spending months there going through thousands of CD's.

The same NAXOS subscription permits access to the excellent Swedish BIS label and others as well.

If it is not obvious - I have regrettably (!) zero financial or other interest in NAXOS or anything else on their site.

Just putting my proverbial two bit's worth re stressing that the extent composers change during their lives is often overlooked. Early works by almost anyone - Mendessohn perhaps excluded here - are worth comparing to later ones **especially** for those composers that are in one's 'least favourite' list!

Regards,

ILH

"Oh for a world with no 'muzak' in stores ...."
#402980 08/19/08 02:37 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You are probably right and I do hope I gain a liking of Bach but for now I am the scorn of my German relatives. frown

Mozart - Sonata K 282
#402981 08/19/08 02:37 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You are probably right and I do hope I gain a liking of Bach but for now I am the scorn of my German relatives.

Mozart - Sonata K 282
#402982 08/19/08 03:22 AM
C
C
Originally posted by davaofthekeys:
Bach (since it´s not really written for piano it´s hard to interpret, and also the fact that I don´t like church-sounding harmonies and overall themes too much)

Mozart (too hummable and cell-phone-abused themes, also too happy-go-lucky sounding for me)

Beethoven (too repetitive, and sometimes stupid moments ruin otherwise potentially good pieces)

Ravel (have never played, but hate listening to)

Saint-Saëns (frequent long passages sounding too "clinky", by playing mainly in the pianos highest register, gets real annoying quickly)

Tchaikovsky (has some good concerts, but suffers somewhat from the same problem as Mozart, which is that their clearly defined, humable melodies quickly becomes tedious to play and listen too)

Grieg (doesn´t really meassure up against the greats in my opinion, a bit light)
How could Grieg not measure up to the greats, when you don't like any of the greats?

#402983 08/19/08 03:43 AM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally posted by Fleeting Visions:
I can't stand:

Bach (Can't he use NEW thematic material??)
Beethoven (Why's he so dang awkward?)
Brahms (Just like Bach- and what's this counterpoint obsession?)
Scriabin (Lay off the drugs!!!!!)
Chopin (Girly Man)
Liszt (Showy, knows nothing about thematic development or form)
Rachmaninoff (Get over yourself!)
Prokofiev (Wrong notes!!!!!!!!!!)]
Carl Vine ( Too romantic sounding. Needs more cowbell.)

Anyone else I missed?
LOL!

Yeah, you missed:

Poulenc (Cafe music for the absinthe addled)

Schumann (One more manic episode based on trite sequential repetitions and I'm gonna start killing...)

Shostakovich (Press A for Despair, Press B for Irony, Press C for... oh, wait, there are only two buttons)

Schoenberg (Like Wagner, an ego bully of the worst sort, with similar ideas of world domination, but with an even better SYSTEM and METHOD which you WILL OBEY)

Webern (Mr. Plink-Plonk; worshipped Schoenberg and had daddy issues...what more do you need to know?)

Barber (the longest sad and nostalgic sigh in history [sob] )

Schubert (Just too affectionate and cozy for comfort, you know?)

Busoni (Fantasia whattistica??? Another way to spell "overbearing pretentious nonsense", right?)

Carter (Hint: just because you figured out how to notate it doesn't automatically make it worth hearing.)

Debussy (It may be "for the piano", but it sure ain't "for the hands" that play the piano.)

Ravel (Where amateurs go to die)

Godowsky (Richard Strauss meets Liberace)

Messiaen (It's just not the same without all the pretty colors swirling about. LSD, anyone?)

Mussorgsky (Better do some shots first)

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
KAWAI CA79 METRONOME
by Giovanni Zanini - 01/16/21 01:43 PM
DIY Acoustical Digital Piano - algorithm
by stemPianist - 01/16/21 01:04 PM
First post. Question about Baldwin model R
by Gregory Waits - 01/16/21 11:29 AM
Garritans CFX Sample Player ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 01/16/21 11:16 AM
The College Experience
by MinscAndBoo - 01/16/21 10:40 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,293
Posts3,047,341
Members100,078
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission