Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
122 registered members (Alex Hutor, accordeur, anotherscott, 90125, AaronSF, AZNpiano, AnnInMiami, 35 invisible), 1,433 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sheet music in China.... #401245
01/26/05 06:18 PM
01/26/05 06:18 PM
Philly, PA
PianoMuse Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
PianoMuse  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member

Philly, PA
Does anyone know what the availability of sheet music in China is? I mean, are sheet music stores fairly common? I don't want to have to weigh my luggage down with 10 pounds of sheet music (though I will if I have to!)

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." ~Rachmaninoff
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Sheet music in China.... #401246
01/26/05 08:05 PM
01/26/05 08:05 PM
not in Japan anymore
ShiroKuro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

not in Japan anymore
I can't tell you specifically about China (since I am in Japan) but a lot of Chinese pianists come to play in Japan, and I recently saw a program on TV about how China has a huge population of piano-learners and it's a huge "boom" right now. Given that I would guess that sheet music would be readily available.

However, if you don't read Chinese it may be hard to figure out what's what, which books have which music etc (it took me awhile to get used to the Japanese words that are often used in titles, and the way composers names are written).

I would recommend taking the bare minimum or music (even if you can easily buy it you may not know where to in the early stages etc). Take the music that you leave in the US, put it into very organized and well-labeled envelops or something so that, if you find you need more, it can easily be sent to you by someone back home.

Are you going to China to work? Study?

Started piano June 1999. My recordings at Box.Net:
https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Sheet music in China.... #401247
01/26/05 08:21 PM
01/26/05 08:21 PM
Ohio, USA
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member
signa  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Ohio, USA
they should have it in bookstores in general. but sometimes you could find a music bookstore in some concert halls. they are usually in chinese version though but cheap.

Re: Sheet music in China.... #401248
01/26/05 10:40 PM
01/26/05 10:40 PM
Oregon
Jeff135 Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jeff135  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oregon
I was just in China and couldn't find too many music bookstores...

The clown is watching you.
Re: Sheet music in China.... #401249
01/26/05 11:17 PM
01/26/05 11:17 PM
R
Roxane Offline
500 Post Club Member
Roxane  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R

The main cities in China (Beijing and Shanghai) have large bookshops that carry a good selection of classical music books, rather than loose sheet music. The quality of printing leaves much to be desired and I have hardly used the books I bought a few years ago because the layout and print quality makes it difficult to read. In addition, they are generally in Chinese, with the titles of the pieces and even the composers' names transliterated into Chinese characters, so you would need to figure them out. There are also bookshops at the conservatories that are supposed (according to my teacher) to stock a wide range of music books; those would be your best bets, rather than just wander around hoping to bump into a bookshop. You could also try asking the concierge at your hotel (if you are staying at one with a concierge service) to check the larger bookshops in advance for music books before you hunt them down.

Now, the quality of music books from Taiwan is another matter; they appear to have reproductions (not sure legitimate or pirated) of the entire urtext range, printed on good quality paper, such that the distinction between a Taiwan edition or urtext and the German urtext is blurred. Music books from Taiwan are definitely worth stocking up on. I wish I had bought a lot more when I had the chance to. My piano teacher shipped back a large carton of books on her last trip to Taipei a couple of years back.

Re: Sheet music in China.... #401250
01/27/05 04:21 AM
01/27/05 04:21 AM
Denver, Colorado
A
AndrewG Offline
2000 Post Club Member
AndrewG  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A

Denver, Colorado
Only in larger cities like Shanghai, Beijing, Tienjing, Nanjing, etc. you will find sizable bookstore where you can find a section dedicated to music, particularly classical music. In some lesser known cities like Shengyang you also have good music book shops because this city has a well-known conservatory. Normally you don't want to buy western music in China. Rather, you can get all sorts of Chinese piano music by various composers. Many of the piano books are quite interesting. Example, Yellow River Piano Concerto. both the original and revised editions are available in China. And another one recently mentioned by someone is the "Butterfly" Violin Concerto. Often times the Chinese conservatories come up with their own compilations of thick sheet music books that contain some good but hard to find Western piano music. I still own a series that was originally published in the early '60s. These series are often made available in those music shops or the music section of the larger general book stores.

AndrewG

Re: Sheet music in China.... #401251
01/27/05 05:20 AM
01/27/05 05:20 AM
Philly, PA
PianoMuse Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
PianoMuse  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member

Philly, PA
Thanks guys!

I am a many hours southeast of Beijing, and about 4 hours east of Nanjing, which is the biggest city close to me. I guess I can also keep a look out for chinese pianists and ask them if I can borrow their music!

I am going over there to teach English, some music, and learn Chinese for about a year. I guess I can take a couple of really hard pieces with me that will take a year to learn!

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." ~Rachmaninoff
Re: Sheet music in China.... #401252
01/27/05 05:54 AM
01/27/05 05:54 AM
Denver, Colorado
A
AndrewG Offline
2000 Post Club Member
AndrewG  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A

Denver, Colorado
Piano Muse,

If you're 4 hours east of Nanjing you should be close to Shanghai, a metropolitan city you've got to visit. Particularly the new music center and grand opera house. Shanghai Conservatory is well known for its piano program. Shanghai has the best book stores in China for everything you can think of. Have fun and enjoy!

Rgds,
AndrewG

Re: Sheet music in China.... #401253
01/27/05 08:16 AM
01/27/05 08:16 AM
Minneesooota
M
Mikester Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Mikester  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

Minneesooota
PianoMuse if you happen to travel to Beijing, walk around Wang Fu Jing - there is one multi-story music store a few blocks back.

Also the large books stores like Xinhua Shu Dian (shu dian = bookstore) and there is also one at Wang Fu Jing. If you go to their upper levels I'm pretty sure they sell some sheet music. I know that at the top level of Xinhua they actually sell pianos.

Try Wang Fu Jing; some of the stores carry chinese instruments like Er Hu and Gu Zheng, but if you walk in they have some chinese piano sheet music too!

If you need to know specifics just PM me thanks!

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Nord Piano Monitors
by PianoManChuck. 01/21/19 05:38 PM
Questions about Pianoteq 6 and Kawai CA98
by ADWyatt. 01/21/19 01:25 PM
Question about Yamaha DGX-660
by MikeSD. 01/21/19 12:06 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,714
Posts2,784,457
Members92,186
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission