2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bassio Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Click here!

What do you think?

Critics needed.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
oh man... it sounds like 415... everything down a semitone. Do you have some audio edition thing to pull it up? I can hardly listen to it...

The perfomance is good. Just watch out with the theme, cause sometimes sounds too much like (note per note). Think more on phrasing...

ss ao lr ue dt on si .u dq ar no on ra qd u. is no td eu rl oa ss
M
M
yeah i agree with the theme part on both hands. be careful with that, dont' drown it out. parts that repeat (sequence) make sure you differentiate them, make them sound different so they dont' sound the same all the time. Can do even better on the mordents =))

good job!
i wish i know how to upload a file like that

margrave of brandenburg
M
M
Yeah! A=415! More power to you!

Z
Z
It's a very clean, very four square rendition - your ornamentation is very well done. Overall, it lacks an easiness and a natural musically shaped impetus. I feel there is a tremendous concern for accuracy over a musical conception. You are lucky, however, as you are now in a position to begin the real work of making music, safe in the knowledge that your notework is down. Best wishes!

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
It's a very clean, very four square rendition
I agree with that. Try to ever so subtly make it breath a bit more with articulation and shaping of phrases. definitely keep the idea of metronomic time as you are doing, don't phrase it by romanticizing it (ie. Glenn Gould type thing) but rather with dynamics and articulation. Like the first 3 notes of an ascending left hand motif could be every so slightly legato, with more articulation between the third and fourth (for example, don't necessarilly apply that statement to this piece) you have to really think about how you want every phrase to be and make sure it comes out as you intended.

How much hands seperate work did you do? I feel like each voice could *sing* a bit more. Try singing each of the voices.

Try to "explore" the vast area between stacatto and legato a bit more.. this is very stacatto, all the notes are very clean and crisp, but just a *bit* too crisp .. i'm not saying it should be legato of course, this is baroque music after all. But the notes should be just a wee bit "rounder" on their edges - let the keys push your finger back up (w/o slowing down!) rather than popping your fingers up off the keys as it sounds like you might be doing - like at the top of each of those ascending left hand motifs, your last note "pops" off, rather than having a certain roundness to it that some of the others do. And when the left hand then makes the leap back down to the start of another ascending motif, be aware of how your finger falls on that first note going up, depending on how you want to present the phrase, think about "is this note coming from where I just was, or is it leading to where I am now going?" and articulate it as such.

The Inventions have a "magical" sort of quality to them where the way a motif is first presented, and then inverted and reversed upon itself etc, it creates a sort of musical dilemma where you can only hear one thing at a time, kinda like those Escher drawings. That is the intention, so it's important not to bring one voice out over the other with dynamics or accents, they should be kinda weaving around each other. Read This Great Thread on the pianoforum.net for an awesome discussion of this.

The notes are all there! Nice!

Also, I'm not sure about the ritardando in the last few bars. of course this is subjective.

A=415!
how did you do that? a digital piano I presume, what kind?

keep up the good work!
-Paul

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."
-- Ernie Stires, composer
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
oh by the way, should you choose to check out that pianoforum.net link I posted above, be careful, that guy Bernhard is pure genius with a massive wealth of knowledge, and he posts a TON of incredibly useful and eye opening thoughts with regards to all things piano. You can easilly get wrapped up reading for days at a time smile Definitely read around for his methods of piano practice.. My practice and learning has increased in efficiency by probably 80% following the methods he talks about.

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."
Bassio Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Thank you guys for your opinions
In fact this is my first Bach piece

But:
1) what do you mean by '415'?

2) do you think that my tempo is a bit too slow?

N.B. I recorded this using a mono microphone connected to a laptop, my piano is a hoffmann (not digital)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
i hate 415 frown

ss ao lr ue dt on si .u dq ar no on ra qd u. is no td eu rl oa ss
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
But:
1) what do you mean by '415'?
Well.......what does that mean? Anyone? smile

Bassio, I'm not in a position to judge since I'm a beginner, except it sounds nice, especially your ornamentation. I see what the others mean by making it "sing" more, since I'm dealing with that issue myself.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
western instruments are tuned with A = 440Hz. He was saying it sounded like A was tuned to 415Hz, thereby making it sound like "everything down a semitone".

being an acoustic piano, I think this means that either somewhere in the analog to digital conversion of your recording process the sound was affected, or in fact your piano is tuned to A = 415Hz (the piano is in tune with itself, but the entire thing is out of tune with accepted standards for what A should equal) When was the last time the piano was tuned? It's unlikely every string would go out of tune the same way, but unless there was a specific reason for it, I don't see why any normal tuner would tune the piano to A=415hz.. I asked if it were digital, assuming an acoustic would be properly tuned, because some digital pianos allow you to adjust the temperment.

I think Mr.Bubb said
Yeah! A=415! More power to you!
Because the piano did not exist during Bach's time. He was playing a Harpsichord most likely, which could, and (likely was?) tuned to A=415hz, which it could be argued makes the performance on an instrment tuned this way, "more authentic".. But whatever :rolleyes:

In fact this is my first Bach piece
Congradulations, not bad!

2) do you think that my tempo is a bit too slow?
I didn't think it was too slow. I thought even it was just a touch too fast, but again, this is hugely open to interpretation. Try it around 60. Are you working with a teacher? It's very important to have a good teacher who can guide you, especially with Bach.

-Paul

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
You mean he's not in pitch - as in 440?

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
see what I posted above yours simultaneously smile

(it's not "him" it's his piano, or, my better guess is the data manipulation in his recording process)

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yes, the piano is a half-tone low; it's also out of tune.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
actually i set the tuning of my piano to +453. It really sounds authentic like that.but then again, i also have an excellent harpsichord on my piano (Yamaha Clavinova CLP950)

"A Sorceror of tonality; the piano is my cauldron and the music is my spell, let those who cannot hear my calling die and burn in He11."

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81
Bassio Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Well i haven't plucked my piano since i bought it 6 years ago

could this be the reason or is it the technician's fault?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Like someone said I'm assuming during the recording process the data was slowed down thus lowering the pitch and the tempo

"He who turns himself into a beast, gets rid of the pain of being a man."
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by Bassio:
Well i haven't plucked my piano since i bought it 6 years ago

could this be the reason or is it the technician's fault?
What do you mean, you haven't "plucked" your piano since you bought it six years ago? I'm not sure what this word means in this context.

If you're saying you haven't had it tuned since you bought it, then it's no wonder it's flat and out of tune, and it's not your technician's fault. I'm surprised it's not more out of tune than it is. However, only if your technician told you never to have the piano tuned would I blame him.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission