2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (busa, clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,119 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
OP Offline
I
I went to the local piano store the other day and had the opportunity to try a new Kawai upright (Don't know the model number, but it has a 121cm frame). My impression was that it worked very well mechanically, and had a rich sound throughout all registers. It is definitely a much better instrument than my 2 year old Young Chang, therefore I made a quick decision and bought it.

I'm now waiting for the piano to be delivered. Occasionally I wonder if I made a good choice. The price of the Kawai was considerably lower than for a Yamaha of the same size (P-121 or U1). If I didn't have to take my wife's opinion into account, I would even have considered a baby grand. What do you think? Should I have spent more time travelling around and trying instruments before making my choice?

Inge S

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Well, this IS the piano forum, after all. You obviously should have devoted at least a full year to your search, reading Larry Fine obsessively, searching the archives here for any mention of any of the 20 brands you narrow your list down to, and posting here at great length. laugh

To give a more serious answer to your question: Please don't give in to buyer's remorse. Yes, you could have spent more time shopping around. Maybe, just maybe, you would have made a different decision had you done so. Does that mean the Kawai is a BAD decision for you? Not at all. They're good pianos; you played it; you liked the sound and action; and presumably you're happy with the terms of the deal.

Be at peace and enjoy that new piano of yours.

Oh, and by the way, congratulations!

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
congradulations!

Only the humble improve.
I
OP Offline
I
Monica,

In practice there's only a very limited number of brands and models available here. Fortunately...
I can rule out brands like Young Chang and Samic, and I tried a Bergmann the same day as the Kawai, and didn't like it.

In the middle class we have Yamaha with a pretty wide range of different models. I also have the impression that they vary a lot (even within the same model).

In the high range we have Schimmel and Rönish, and some more exotic brands like Ed Seiler. These are excellent, instruments, of course, but cost at least twice as much as the Kawai.

I still don't know which feeling I'm going to have with the Kawai when I get it home. I'm optimistic, though, and if it turns out to be a disappointment, I'll rather start a search after something else.

Inge S

M
M
I've never seen nor heard a Kawai that didn't look, feel, or sound good. When played side-by-side with others in the same class, Kawai will usually rank out top one or two in my taste.

In the US, dollar for dollar, Kawai is a pretty "safe bet."

Enjoy.

I
OP Offline
I
Martin,

Good to hear. I agree that the Kawai is offered for a competitive price. With Norwegian sales tax, this is the typical level of uprights here:

Young Chang (118cm): USD 4800
Kawai (121cm): USD 6500
Yamaha U1: USD 11000
Schimmel: USD 13000 and up
Ed Seiler: USD 20000 (minimum)

Inge S

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I think you made a good deal. I appreciate Kawai uprights. The action is good and also the sound. Only the cabinet design does not attract me (too many sharp edges nad straigh lines) and for emotional and some other resons I prefer a piano built in Europe.

You can spend a year and still not find the ideal piano. If this Kawai immediately appealed to you, it is simply the piano for you!

German top tier piano, when sold through dealers, are really very expansive in comparison to quality brands from Asia. They are not always superior in sound and hardly ever in touch. The Renner factory is just one of many action factories.

I myself looked a lot on Kawai, then got an offer from Germany and imported my myself. If after revoicing and final regulation in my home I will be fully satisfied with my upright, I made a good deal, because the price was on the level of a Yamaha U1 and only about half the price of German piano of similar quality brought to Finland by a dealer.

In fact, you usually pay a lot for the name on the fallboard. Larry Fine's book should not be held as the Bible, as all pianos are individials. Even top tier factories have variations in quality, although they generally are making good instruments.

K
KJC Offline
K
I found my (used) Kawai BL-31 upright pretty quickly about four years ago. I was very lucky as I got a very good deal on an absolutely beautiful sounding instrument. I knew what type of sound I wanted and I bought the instrument without reservation and never regretted it for a single minute. Enjoy your new piano and consider yourself lucky you didn't have to waste a ton of time and effort finding something you will love playing!

"Thinking is more interesting than knowing, but less interesting than looking" - Goethe
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Inge,

The Kawai is a nice piano. I hope you will enjoy it for many years.

Now- go practice! smile

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
C
cb_ Offline
C
I like my Kawai upright.

I
OP Offline
I
I had the piano delivered at my home yesterday. I was a bit disappointed by the sound, particularly in the treble. It sounded quite differently from the one I tried in the shop (which already was sold, unfortunately). However, I hope that the tuner will be able to round off the sound a bit.
Mechanically, however, this is an excellent instrument, and many passages that I had problems with on my old piano (as well as other instruments I have bee playing) are MUCH easier to play well on the Kawai.

Inge S

M
M
I just bought a Kawai K-25 and was delivered to my home yesterday. K-25 is 122cm in height and I am not sure if this is your model also. The actions of Kawai uprights are excellent and very responsive. The tone of mine is very warm and full, I am looking forward a much better sounds after the first tunn up a month later.

Kawai RX-3, UST-9.
P
P
I spent more than a year looking for the right piano for me. I played many different pianos. From very expensive ones to really cheaper ones When I played a kawai at the store I was astonished. The sound was so warm, so "delicious", that I had no doubt that kawai was the piano I was looking for. I finally bought my kawai k-25 and was delivered to my home last monday.

congratulations if you have a kawai piano k series. in my opinion it is a good piano

pianovic

P
P
Inge,

it is too soon to be disappointed!!. Wait for two or three weeks, you will see that the sound will improve (providing you play it daily to help improve the sound)

Enjoy

J
J
Inge,

Congratulations! You made the right decision with the Kawai purchase.

I own two Kawais and a Yamaha. Both are good instruments. But at the price differential you listed, any rational person would have made the same decision.

Cheers

Started piano studies at age 55.The journey is more important than the result.
I
OP Offline
I
Thank you, for your encouragement. Indeed I hope that the sound will improve in some weeks. In fact I already can hear a difference, and I become more and more impressed by the mechanics.
It is a joy to play Bach on it, since it is much easier to bring out the individual parts with the Kawai than with the old piano.

Inge S

I
OP Offline
I
For the record, I had a look under the lid of the piano and found out that the model is K-25EI.

Inge S

B
B
In my area, the dealer's usually give 100% trade-in/trade-up value for the first 5 years. You could get the grand and not lose any money;)

Technician
Pianowerks.inc@Comcast.net
Portland OR
Y
yin Offline
Y
Hi, I juz got myself a kawai piano as well yesterday. The model is "K48". Someone told me that this model does not exist. Can anyone tell me whether this model exist? I have tried on many piano as well. Still prefer kawai the most.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission