2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 9 invisible), 1,443 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JimmyH Offline OP
OP Offline
I was in the practice room today fifteen minutes into my warm up, when I was approached by another student. Apparently, he had been watching me unbeknownst to me, and told me that he noticed I used my #3 finger on my left hand on the third interval from the root.

He told me that he was still a beginner but his instructor was adamant about correct fingering and that it was to use the #4 finger.

I've been playing since i was 6, with quite a few teachers and a couple coaches through college (performance major), and never once has this been brought up as an issue by any of them. So, I'm wondering, if there's a "correct" fingering pattern for arpeggios.

I told him that, as part of my warm up, I go though arpeggios in all keys, major and minor, and that he wanted to sit and listen to me. He asked that I do them slower, which I did. Afterwards, he said that it was confusing because on keys that originate on a "black key", I do, in fact, use my #4 finger (since I avoid using my thumb on black keys). Well, shucks, I do them everyday so don't even think about it. I really couldn't give him an good answer as to what pattern to follow.

But just out of curiosity, what's your fingering on your left hand for, say, a C major arpeggio?

Yamaha P-515, CP-80, Kawai VPC1
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I wouldn't normally have much reason to play straight arpeggios per se but I tried it just now and either finger seems all right - not a lot in it.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley
I too prefer to play using the 3rd finger due to my huge hand. I think so long as it produce right tone, it doesn't really matter it's 3rd or 4th finger. The 4th finger is only a suggested finger.

B
B
I remember that I used to use my 3rd finger, but my teacher told me I should use the 4th so I changed. I think the shape of the hand is kept more natural if you use the 4th, but I don't think it really matters which you use.

S
S
Depending on the person, really. In arpeggios section, certain books might write for e.g. in c major arpeggio(left hand): 5 3/4 2 1 ..... Certain students might be suited to a fingering 3 or 4. I used 3 or 4 fingering for my arpeggios. So, nothing is strange about them. Other piano books might write 3 or a 4 fingering number. Teachers might say used a 3 fingering bcoz they are much suited & to let the students accustomed to it often so that they'll used it often.

But to me, there are difference in using a 3 & a 4 fingering. The 4 fingering might be easier to used under circumstances of stretching to give a more comforting playing, which means that that other teacher you've described is correct on the matter. On the other hand, when using a 3 fingering is quite limited on spaces & comfort during stretching higher notes.

But, it doesn't matter. Both can be used. And depending on the students fingering.

L
L
I use my third finger more often than you're supposed to as well.

I think that if you take the time to learn it, using the recommended fourth finger does more naturally fit the hand and probably allows you to be more relaxed.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I use 4 when the third falls on a white key (C, G, F, B) and 3 when it falls on a black key (D, A, E) for arpeggios that begin on a white key. The ones that begin on a black key are all different of course.

Better to light one small candle than to curse the %&#$@#! darkness. :t:
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
ditto what jbryan said

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission