2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
P
what about the holst's the planets???

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
i love this thread!!!!

When it peters out I'm gonna print it up and check out a bunch of these pieces.

Full-Time Music/Entrepreneurship Major: (Why not compose music AND businesses?)
Former Piano Industry Professional
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
I know these are a not Romantic, but how about some of Mozart's Piano Concertos? These have been transcribed for two pianos, and not all of them are difficult.

Another suggestion is Clementi's Sonatas for two pianos.

On the Romantic, and more difficult side, try some of the works by Louis Gottschalk.

Good luck with these. When you can find someone to play along with, piano playing takes on a whole new meaning.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm surprised that Dvorak's Slavonic Dances haven't been mentioned yet. They fit the bill perfectly .....exciting, dramatic, and definitely romantic.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I love the Slavonic Dances - but as far as I know, the most well-known arrangement is for four-hands.

I play for a high-school string class and we are working on one of these now. Such wonderful music.

Originally posted by JohnEB:
Originally posted by Max W:
[b]
Originally posted by JohnEB:
[b] Poulenc wrote a few pieces for 2 pianos including a wonderful and very exciting sonata
Yes the 4 hands Sonata is great - quite awkward to perform (I'm sure intentionally!) but totally worth it. [/b]
I was referring to teh 4 hands/2 pianos sonata, which I think is better than the 4 hand/1 piano work.[/b]
I have to disagree there... I've always liked the 4-hand Sonata and think it is a shame that so few people know it. I've tried to read through the 2-piano Sonata many times but it just doesn't grab me the same way.

Indeed you're right, the Slavonic Dances are four-hand pieces. Heck, you can play 'em on two pianos if you want!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I've performed the Brahms "Liebeslieder Waltzes" both ways.

It's nice to have an entire piano to yourself laugh but on the other hand, it is so much easier to stay in synch when the other performer is sharing a keyboard with you.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I love schubert's fantasy for 4 hands...

two piano music? Ligeti wrote some great music for 2 pianos

What about Messiaen's visions d'amen? 4 hands or 2 pianos?

"Beauty is unbearable, drives us to despair, offering us for a minute the glimpse of an eternity that we should like to stretch out over the whole of time."

-Albert Camus,

Jim
Originally posted by BDB:
I am afraid that I was expressing my aversion to the Fantasie, which has a popularity which I feel not only is unmerited, but ends up obscuring the many better duets that Schubert wrote.
I apologize if you really weren't making a jab at me. I understand your point about the over-popularity of the Fantas(ie, ia, y?), but I'm not sure I'd call its popularity unmerited. It seemed to fit his description perfectly, that is until I realized he said 2 pianos and not 4 hands.

Another great one is Poulenc's concerto for 2 pianos, unfortunately then you also have to find an orchestra willing to play along.

S
S
How about Brahms Sonata for 2 pianos, Op.34b? It's the original version of the piano quintet with the same opus number (without the "b" on the end!)

Also try Liszt - any of the 4 hand / 2 piano works, mostly arrangments of his other works but there are many of these so just pick one (in total, I calculate that Liszt's 2 piano / 4 hands works would fit on about 10 - 12 CDs. Come on some enterprising record company, get on with it and record them all)

Best regards,
Jonathan
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
There's also Moszkowski Spanish Dances too. These not only sound really nice, but are really fun to play.

I forgot about the Slavonic Dances by Dvorak. They can be difficult, but also fun to play.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
B
BDB Offline
B
The Moszkowski and Dvorak are one piano. You can pretty much dance all around Europe four hands at a time: Brahms' Hungarian Dances, Dvorak's Slavonic Dances, Moszkowski's Spanish Dances, Busoni's Finnish Dances, Janacek's Moravian Dances, Bruch's Swedish Dances...

There are a lot more duets than there are duo piano works. More people could afford one piano than two.

Semipro Tech
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission