2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#380819 08/09/06 04:35 AM
OP Offline
The classic question......what is your favorite brand of pianos?and what do you own at this time?

I must say my all-time favourite is the remarkable bosendorfer(hence the name wink )i've played many pianos, but i've particularly enjoyed this one.......however owning one is far from real, i have a poor 9 year old Otto Meister who's having hard time keeping up with all the Liszt

I can't afford a bosendorfer right now, but well, good things come to those who wait i guess

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and upon which it is impossible to remain silent"-Victor Hugo
#380820 08/09/06 08:04 AM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Best piano i've ever played was a bosendorfer imperial grand, just incredible. second best was probably a 7'6" Fazioli which i actually liked better than the 9' Fazioli.

I've played numerous steinways the odd bechstien and petroff, and the above mention pianos were head a shoulders above them

At home i have a 7' Heintzman, and a late 19th century knabe upright.

id love to try a steingraeber or a stuart and sons.

#380821 08/09/06 10:03 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I also had the privelige of playing on a Bosendorfer. It was a 2.75m Schubert Memorial edition. One of my most treasured experiences of my short life.

At the other end of the price spectrum, I played on a Palatino baby grand a while back that got to me in a similar way. I loved its warm, bell-like sound and the touch was really weird, but in a good way. Some new Japanese thing (???).

#380822 08/09/06 10:12 AM
E
ecm Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I played Boesendorfer, Steinway, August Forster, Petrof, Tchaikovsky.. and many others.

I find Boesendorfer really great, but is it me or Steinway is harder to play (the keyboard returns slower)?

Maybe because it offers more possibilities for dinamics control.. I played only 2 steinways this year.

#380823 08/09/06 10:43 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I've played lots of different brands including Bosendorfer, M&H, Schimmel, Petrof, Estonia-- but I always come back to Steinway as my favorite. Bosendorfer second. I recently played a new Steinway D (NY) that was absolutely exquisite-- perfect touch and a gorgeous multicolored sound. If I had the money I would have bought it in a heartbeat.

Sophia

#380824 08/09/06 12:41 PM
I've played Schimmel, Petrof, Estonia, Steinway (both NY and laugh Hamburg), and a lot of other miscillaneous brands. I currently own (or my parents do...) a Schimmel, which I love, but its not my favorite. Steinway Hamburg would be my favorite - they're amazing pianos - I like them much more than the NY ones. Someday I really want to play a Bosendorfer Imperial..

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."

-Gustav Mahler
#380825 08/09/06 01:15 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Fazioli of course, even though i haven't touched one in my life.

#380826 08/09/06 03:17 PM
P
P
my favorite brand of pianos would have to be either blu(e)thner or schimmel. i however am far from being able to own one. right now i play on a kawai ust-12!

#380827 08/09/06 03:21 PM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by signa:
Fazioli of course, even though i haven't touched one in my life.
Well, then, how would you know that it's your favorite piano? :rolleyes:

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#380828 08/09/06 03:47 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by Bosendorfer88:
The classic question......what is your favorite brand of pianos?
I understand the point of the question, but I do believe that it is, in fact, quite impossible to say which "brand" of piano is ones favourite. The more pianos you get to play, the more you begin to realize that even among the same models of the same brand there is so much variance that a definitive answer to the question is impossible.

I've played a couple of new Bösendorfers that I have liked, and I have played a few new Bösendorfers that make me wonder why they aren't selling for half the price they are listed for.

I've played a couple of older Mason & Hamlins that I would love to own; I've played newer ones that I wouldn't be happy to live with if they were (almost) given to me.

Some newer Steinways I've played I've had to fight to get anything out of them and others of varying vintage have practically played themselves for me with a musicality I never thought I could coax from an instrument.

I think that Sophial has the right idea when she singles out one particular Steinway that she would have bought "in a hearbeat," without saying that Steinway is her favourite brand.

So much depends on so many variables; and so much of what you experience playing a piano can be changed - for the better, in my cases - by the work of a good technician. I recently spoke to a technician who is working on a recently purchased, brand new Steinway D in a local venue. When I asked him about it he said: "Well, I think it's going to be a good piano, but it's going to take a couple of years for it to settle, for it to be voiced and regulated, and then I'll be able to give you a more definite opinion." I spoke to a professional who has recently played that instrument who gave me much the same response.

The key is to find the one piano that speaks your language. I have spoken to a few concert artists about piano brands, and have heard which has been a favourite individual piano; I have never heard an experienced, seasoned pianist claim that a particular brand is his/her favourite.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#380829 08/09/06 03:48 PM
P
P
Among the best pianos I have played are: Steinway, Petrof, Feurich and... Kawai. Mine is an upright kawai k25 which i really like how it sounds.

#380830 08/09/06 03:58 PM
D
D
Originally posted by BruceD:
Originally posted by Bosendorfer88:
[b] The classic question......what is your favorite brand of pianos?
I understand the point of the question, but I do believe that it is, in fact, quite impossible to say which "brand" of piano is ones favourite. The more pianos you get to play, the more you begin to realize that even among the same models of the same brand there is so much variance that a definitive answer to the question is impossible.

I've played a couple of new Bösendorfers that I have liked, and I have played a few new Bösendorfers that make me wonder why they aren't selling for half the price they are listed for.

I've played a couple of older Mason & Hamlins that I would love to own; I've played newer ones that I wouldn't be happy to live with if they were (almost) given to me.

Some newer Steinways I've played I've had to fight to get anything out of them and others of varying vintage have practically played themselves for me with a musicality I never thought I could coax from an instrument.

I think that Sophial has the right idea when she singles out one particular Steinway that she would have bought "in a hearbeat," without saying that Steinway is her favourite brand.

So much depends on so many variables; and so much of what you experience playing a piano can be changed - for the better, in my cases - by the work of a good technician. I recently spoke to a technician who is working on a recently purchased, brand new Steinway D in a local venue. When I asked him about it he said: "Well, I think it's going to be a good piano, but it's going to take a couple of years for it to settle, for it to be voiced and regulated, and then I'll be able to give you a more definite opinion." I spoke to a professional who has recently played that instrument who gave me much the same response.

The key is to find the one piano that speaks your language. I have spoken to a few concert artists about piano brands, and have heard which has been a favourite individual piano; I have never heard an experienced, seasoned pianist claim that a particular brand is his/her favourite.

Regards, [/b]
Absolutely right.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission