2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by PoStTeNeBrAsLuX:
Prokofiev Sonata No 8.
You make great points about the Prokofiev, yet (IMHO) the 6th sonata has always been my favourite (after the 3rd and 4th).

Other contributions on this thread have been interesting and have intimidated me a bit. The subject quite put me on the spot. Still thinking about it...

Jason
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Seriously, ignoring pre-piano music, the greatest pieces from three periods are probably the Appassionata Sonata, Carnival, and Carolina Shout.

Semipro Tech
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by BDB:
Seriously, ignoring pre-piano music, the greatest pieces from three periods are probably the Appassionata Sonata, Carnival, and Carolina Shout.
Good point. (I love Carolina Shout wink )

Harold Schonberg speaks of the great "trinity" (a word pregnant with meaning as a church musician) of early romantic piano music: the Chopin Bb minor Sonata, the Schumann Fantasie, the Liszt Sonata. I think he has a valid point. It's a three-way tie and indeed, between them the period is adundantly summed up.

I understand how you feel about Carnival (I happen to love it), but the Fantasie fits the bill just a mite bit better.

Jason
S
S
Brahms sonata No.3 also. Have you played it? Especially, greatest performance is Arrau's. Katchen is great too. Check out pianists discography at
www.greatconcertartist.com and let's post something. It's so quiet.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by sario:
Brahms sonata No.3 also. Have you played it? Especially, greatest performance is Arrau's. Katchen is great too.
No, I have not played it, though I have read through it. I did work on the Eb minor Scherzo, dating from around the same time. (Wonder what BIG sonata that was a refugee from? I don't think Brahms originally wrote it as a stand-alone.)

Katchen is quite special, though I think Kissin's is the greatest recent recording. Arrau bogs down in the last movement. It is not one of his better recordings. Perhaps when he was much younger... I don't think the Brahms F minor lends itself very well to the grand-old-man-of-the-piano treatment. We're not talking the Op. 118. This is young man's music and -like the D minor Concerto- I want to hear it played with all the strife and angst of a man my age. You gotta give 'em heck! :b:

Jason
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm not a big fan of the Brahms F Minor, although I really like Brahms Op. 1.

Actually, brahms Rhapsody in E-Flat recalls the opening of Op. 1. This would be a good ender for a recital which started with Op. 1, I think.

First and last works for piano.

Amateur Pianist, Scriabin Enthusiast, and Octave Demon
F
F
I remember Artur Rubinstein being asked what piece of music he liked most. His anwer: Always the one I am playing at the moment.

Actually I don't get the point of questions like "who/what is the best, fastest, greatest". In my opinion they lead to less than nothing.

----------

http://www.pianistenschule.de

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by florhof:

Actually I don't get the point of questions like "who/what is the best, fastest, greatest". In my opinion they lead to less than nothing.
I wouldn't worry about it, nor take it seriously. We're just having fun, and of course nothing is binding. I have found it interesting to read what others have said in this thread, and it has certainly given me a few things to think about.

Jason
R
R
I take the liberty to enter five pieces, for each section of classical music
1) Baroque - Goldberg Variations (Bach)
2) Classical - Diabelli Variations (Beethoven)
3) Romantic - Polonaise-Fantasie (Chopin)
4) Modern - Out of Doors Suite (Bartók)
5) Postmodern - well, nothing that comes close to the five above

Robert Kenessy

.. it seems to me that the inherent nature [of the piano tone] becomes really expressive only by means of the present tendency to use the piano as a percussion instrument - Béla Bartók, early 1927.
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Hey Florhof, don't you think that public declarations like that have already become more cliche than simple participation? Indeed, even stoic non-participation is by now, in the 21st century, more cliche than is simple participation.

A
A
I haven't listened to all the solo classical repertoire out there...but my FAVORITE solo pieces that I have heard are as follows:

Liszt Sonata in B Minor - We all know why this is so great. There is no other piece like it, and it's devilishly difficult. Turns me inside out every time I listen to it.

Chopin Ballade No.1 in G Minor - Though I also love his fourth ballade, this one does generally move me more. A strikingly beautiful piece.

Chopin Fantaisie in F Minor - An underrated piece. Truly incredible, if you ask me. Not very easy to play, either smile

B
BZ4 Offline
B
My short list for Beethoven would include the "Hammerklavier", the Opus 111, and the Diabelli Variations. For total length, difficulty and a summing up of Beethoven's keyboard traversal, it would have to be the "Diabelli's".
For the Romantic era, although the Lizst b minor would be a defining moment, perhaps Chopin's b minor would also be a candidate. I opt for Chopin, only because to me he is THE romantic piano composer.
For 20th century, Ravel's "Gaspard de la Nuit", hands down. Also perhaps Messiaen's "Vingt Regards" as well.

BZ4
Estonia 190
undoubtedly for me...

the Lizst transcriptions of Bach's Organ Preludes and Fugues

my top three rotate.

Man oh man..

the best pianist transcribes the best keyboard music ever written by the world's greatest composer for normal pianists

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Baroque -- Bach, Goldberg Variations

Classical -- Mozart A minor sonata and Schubert B-flat sonata

Romantic -- Chopin : Sonata No. 3, Barcarolle and Ballade No. 4; Brahms, Sonata No. 1 and Handel Variations

Modern -- Ravel, Gaspard de la Nuit; Messiaen, Vingt Regards; Stravinsky -- 3 Movements from Petrouchka; Rachmaninoff transcriptions; Wild, Fantasy on Themes from Porgy and Bess; Prokofieff, finales to Sonatas 7 & 8

Phil Bjorlo
N
N
"most of his pieces are those 10-minute long ones that are not extremely complex and cannot be said to be masterpieces on their own right"

Bach - Praeludium 1 from WTC
Beethoven - Für Elise
Brahms - Ballade 3 op10

to keep it simple for a change of perspective...

You did say just three pieces?

1. Bach: Fugue in Eb from the WTC Book I
2. Brahms: Intermezzo, Op, 118, No. 2
3. Debussy: Images I, Hommage a Rameau

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Robert Kenessey:
I take the liberty to enter five pieces, for each section of classical music
1) Baroque - Goldberg Variations (Bach)
2) Classical - Diabelli Variations (Beethoven)
3) Romantic - Polonaise-Fantasie (Chopin)
4) Modern - Out of Doors Suite (Bartók)
5) Postmodern - well, nothing that comes close to the five above
Surely the only answer for Postmodern you could give would be "All of them"....? (or perhaps "All of the above")

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Jason:
You make great points about the Prokofiev, yet (IMHO) the 6th sonata has always been my favourite (after the 3rd and 4th).

I like the 6th too, but hasn't quite the monumental stature (or thematic strength) of the 8th IMO. The 3rd and 9th are also strong favourites of mine. In addition, I have recently been playing the 1st quite a lot... and it's also the only Tchaikovsky I've ever liked smile

-Michael B.

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by PoStTeNeBrAsLuX:
I have recently been playing the 1st quite a lot... and it's also the only Tchaikovsky I've ever liked smile
You don't like your Tchaikovsky with a generous helping of tears? Some people are so heartless.. smile :p laugh

Jason
Originally posted by Xinito:

Some notes: I didn't pick any Chopin pieces because most of his pieces are those 10-minute long ones that are not extremely complex and cannot be said to be masterpieces on their own right. Also didn't choose from Bach or Mozart because I don't know them too well, and they are a little too far away.
All of Chopin's pieces are not 10 minutes. I'd say 90% of them are under ten minutes. And they're not complex? His Polonaises, Etudes, 4th Ballade and Barcarolle aren't complex? That's a scary statement. Not knowing Bach or Mozart well doesn't help either. But oh well, here is my opinion on great pieces in no particular order:

1. Beethoven - Hammerklavier (Apassionata could be here too)

2. Liszt - Sonata

3. Chopin - Ballade 4

I would have mentioned other less overused answers, but I approached the question as "What piano pieces define the instruement and exploit all of its capabilities?"

John Coltrane saved my life.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission