2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, 13 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
alex s Offline OP
OP Offline
After playing a few years, I decided to tackle the hungarian rhapsody. Technically, I don't see that the piece is all that difficult. Like many of his pieces, some of the sections remind me of the hanon exercises -- trills, double octaves, thirds, etc. But I start having some technical issues in the Friska section (surprise surprise), after the piu mosso part where the melody is played alternating with c#s, the part where fourth,fifths(?) have to be played in the right hand. I can't seem to play it up to speed, which might mean that I'm not using the correct technique. Any suggestions, tips, advice from those who have conquered this piece, or that part of the piece. I would just hate to put the piece away only because I'm confounded with that section. Specifically, does it take more years of piano practice to build the facility in the hand to play that part -- or is there a method of practice to overcome that difficulty.

alex s Offline OP
OP Offline
One more thing, to clarify, the part I am talking of is not the ascending fifths. Rather, the part involves the trill sounding fourth/fifths, with the left hand playing the melody containing grace notes.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
alex s :

My initial reaction - without hearing you play and without seeing your technique in action - is that this piece indeed might be beyond your technical grasp at the moment when I hear you compare this technical tour de force to Hanon exercises.

There is nothing that reaps greater benefits in practicing a piece such as this one as slow practice without the use of the sustain pedal. Both hands in the Friska section have some pretty big leaps in spots, and it is absolutely essential that your accuracy be spot-on; nothing will show up a poor attempt at this piece as missed/wrong notes. It has to be crisp and clean, ranging from delicate to powerful.

It would help to know what other pieces you have really mastered most recently before going into detailed "tips" on how to master this piece. What have you already mastered?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by alex s:
One more thing, to clarify, the part I am talking of is not the ascending fifths. Rather, the part involves the trill sounding fourth/fifths, with the left hand playing the melody containing grace notes.
The biggest difficulty with this section is to be able to keep the wrist absolutely loose; any tension in the wrist will slow you down and prevent you from working up to speed. This is further complicated by the stretches of up to a tenth in the RH; such stretches make one tend to tense up. Relaxation is the key here.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
alex s Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the reply! I'm not so sure if I'm up to the level where I can play the piece correctly, giving it some justice. I agree there is nothing worse than tackling a piece beyond one skill level. But, it might be in my range. I can always come back to it later down the road.

On the subject of repetoire that I have mastered, that might be relevantly close to the technical demands inherent in this warhorse, would be the fantasie-impromptu, liszt's liebestraume, transcendental etudes no.1 and 11, and few more, but those have been the more technically taxing ones.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Also in this section where the bottom half of the RH has two-note chords with the thumb moving alternately from B to C# and A# to C#, make sure the thumb, with the hand stretched, does not tense up as it moves from note to note.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
First of all let me just agree....arrrggg! indeed :p

I might suggest trying to loosen up your hand for this, it's quite a stretch and has to be played lightly, try taking some exercises for this purpose, hope it helps

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and upon which it is impossible to remain silent"-Victor Hugo
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
For that particular section my fingering is 1+2 and 1+3 when you switch to A# and C# with pinky on the repeating C# of course.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission