2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Barry_Braksick, Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, 8 invisible), 1,576 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
I was wondering if someone could help my buyer's remorse. I just bought a new Kawai RX-1 "artist series" grand piano for $13k. Did I make a good decision for the money? I was told it was an "insider's" price... is that true?

A
A
I don't know if it was or was not an insider's price, but it sounds fairly reasonable. The Kawai RX-1 is a nice piano in that price range. Very good quality, great reputation, and beautiful sound.

Stop worrying, and enjoy it!!!

P
P
Price isn't bad. But that's not what counts. Do you smile when you play it? Is it difficult to leave it? I own an RX3 and it is a wonderful piano. The ONLY reason I am shopping for a tier one now is because I can now afford the upgrade. Truth be told, I think I could be satisfied with my RX3 for the rest of my life. You will find your RX1 will really grow on you. Play it and enjoy it.

Paul
B
OP Offline
B
I haven't gotten it yet, it is supposed to be delivered later this week. I grew up playing my parents' Chickering upright. I always remember it being such a treat to play on a grand piano. Now that I'm older and have a son on the way now, I want him to have the joy of playing on a grand piano whenever he wants (myself, too of course). Maybe that's why I'm remorseful? Because I haven't actually gotten it yet?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If you liked it in the store, I think you'll love it. Kawai makes great pianos. Heck, I wish everbody would utilize technology as well as Kawai does in their action parts.

Enjoy it.

Todd

Previously: M&H AA (2006)
Currently: Phoenix C212 (2016)
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
I own an RX-2 with the new action and I'm very happy with it. The price is just right. I preferred the scale design and the power in the bass of RX-2 to RX-1 while shopping.

Kawai's are outstanding pianos and offer excellent value for the money. If you love the piano, don't worry about the price. The amortization curve on a piano can't be compared with that of a car, a good instrument will last 50 - 75 years or more.
Tim

Yamaha C2X conservatory grand; Yamaha P515
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Post some pics when it arrives!!

RickG
13k sounds high, especially since you can get an RX-2 for about 14k. I'm surprised no one has told you that the RX-1 is too small. I think you'll be much better in an RX-2

"Play from the heart, practice from the head"

"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Originally posted by Piano Gal:
13k sounds high, especially since you can get an RX-2 for about 14k. I'm surprised no one has told you that the RX-1 is too small. I think you'll be much better in an RX-2
I agree, that would be a better decision. But, the original question is whether it is a good decision. On my part this at least is not a bad decision.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I think the price you got is quite a good one. I really doubt the RX2 is regularly available for $14,000. In my experience it has been more like 18-19. I have a GE-30 which is basically a plainer RX1. It's a nice little piano. I would definitely not say it's too small. The RX2 sound is quite similar to the smaller piano. There is not much difference at all, and the action in identical.

You should not have buyer's remorse, baxter. You should be looking forward with great joy and anticipation to the delivery of your new piano. Well done!

--Dennis

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

B
B
I am in the market for an RX-1 as well and have a quote for $13K from one dealer. Another dealer is slightly higher. So it sounds like your pricing is around where the market is.

G
G
Are Kawai's always discounted so much? Larry Fine has 20,390 for the Ebony RX-1 and 22,990 for the RX-2.

At 13k and 14k, you're talking 36% and 39%, respectively. That's a lot higher than most other brands, isn't it?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I think that, while those kids of discounts are not completely unheard of, they are certainly not to be considered normal. I got 37% off on my Kawai, but it was purchased from a bankrupt dealer that is now out of business.

Keep in mind that the dealer must make a profit in order to stay in business. The actual dealer cost of most pianos is half of the Fine list, so there is some room for negotiation, but to stay in business and make a profit the dealer needs to gross around 40%. If he routinely sells pianos that cost him roughly $11,500 for $14,000 (a gross margin of only 18%), then he will not be able to continue in business for very long unless he's selling out of his garage part time.

--Dennis

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
I think, for an RX-2, a price in the range of 16-18K can be considered as a normal price. Below that would be rare and a very good price indeed.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I think you bought a good piano at a very fair price. I like the Kawais, personally.

Now go play!!!

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
H
H

A
A
definitley sounds like a great piano. it never fails when you mention your deal though. there is ALWAYS a better deal. example, i buy a new camry, loaded, say i pay about 29k for it. my neighbor sees my new car, hey nice car, may i ask how much you paid? i say 29, was 3500 of list, he says, oh yeah, i saw one just like it last weekend for 26. thats why i am reluctant to say how much i paid for things. there is always a better deal. i think 13k sounds right and you're getting a great piano. its always maddening when someone says, you shouldhave made him knock an extra 500 at least, AFTER you've signed the papers.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Relax. This is a good piano. You paid a fair price and if you're happy that is all that matters.

Glenn Treibitz

Hollywood Piano Co. - Est.1928
http://www.hollywoodpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/HollywoodPiano

1800 MY-PIANO

Steingraeber,Grotrian,Mason&Hamlin,Petrof,Estonia,Steinberg,Schulze-Pollmann,Baldwin,
Ritmuller,Perzina,Pearl River,Hardman,Roland,Used Steinway
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Agathis:
thats why i am reluctant to say how much i paid for things. there is always a better deal.

Indeed. I certainly don't go around trying to pay top price for items, but if, even after negotiating what I thought was a good deal, I subsequently find out that I paid a little over the odds, I try to comfort myself that the salesperson has a more secure job because of it, or perhaps took his/her family on a nice day out with the commission earned...

Or even better, that my pension fund might be invested in unit trusts/shares of the vending organisation smile .

Michael B.

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission