Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
94 registered members (akc42, anotherscott, A Guy, 7uturu, Beemer, aliaksej, Animisha, barbaram, Artur Gajewski, 23 invisible), 1,002 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
trills in Bach, trills in Chopin #375087
06/24/07 11:45 AM
06/24/07 11:45 AM
pianojerome Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
pianojerome  Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member

Do you play all trills the same way -- always starting on the main note, or always starting on the note above -- whether its baroque, classical, romantic, or later?

Or do you play them differently, depending on the style?

My teacher believes that trills should always[1] start from the note above, even in Chopin -- the long tradition of starting on the main note is a teacher's error compounded, he says.

[1] except for particular exceptions which should be considered individually.

Sam
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: trills in Bach, trills in Chopin #375088
06/24/07 12:24 PM
06/24/07 12:24 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Victoria, BC
Your teacher is comfortably riding the fence, isn't he : always/except for?

In Baroque and Classical there are even exceptions depending on the direction the melody line might be taking, but, in general, one starts on the note above. In Romantic literature I tend to be less dogmatic than your teacher.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: trills in Bach, trills in Chopin #375089
06/24/07 01:19 PM
06/24/07 01:19 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
BruceD is right. In Baroque, one always starts on the note above. In Romantic music, one starts on the main note and trills up from there, except where an upper neighbor grace note indicates to starts from above. In Classical, it depends on the context, but generally in a long trill, one starts from above. This is the commonly accepted performance practice.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: trills in Bach, trills in Chopin #375090
06/24/07 01:24 PM
06/24/07 01:24 PM
pianojerome Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
pianojerome  Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member

Originally posted by Morodiene:
BruceD is right. In Baroque, one always starts on the note above. In Romantic music, one starts on the main note and trills up from there, except where an upper neighbor grace note indicates to starts from above. In Classical, it depends on the context, but generally in a long trill, one starts from above. This is the commonly accepted performance practice.
Why the change for romantic music?

Sam
Re: trills in Bach, trills in Chopin #375091
06/24/07 01:52 PM
06/24/07 01:52 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
Although I don't know historically what the reason is, my guess would be the trill serves a slightly different purpose in Baroque/Classical than in Romantic. They are both to draw attention to the note being trilled. I think in Romantic terms, the focus was more on sustaining a note longer as in a melodic line played on a violin or sung. In such a case, one would want the note trilled to be clearly articulated, and the trill would just be reitterating the note. In Baroque/Classical periods, the trill's purpose was mainly that of drawing attention to the trilled note, as one might do with a grace note, by creating dissonance (sometimes prolonged) and resolving it to the note being trilled. Obviously, both Baroque/Classical and Romantic approaches can and do use the trill for all the above scenarios, I just think the *primary* purpose for the time period changed.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: trills in Bach, trills in Chopin #375092
06/24/07 02:22 PM
06/24/07 02:22 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Victoria, BC
Sam :

For example, this afternoon I am performing (among other pieces) the Chopin Waltz, Op 34, No 2, in a minor. In measure 5 is the first occurence of a trill on a melody note - in this case in the left hand. The trill is on E, but since the previous note is an F, I am opting to start the trill on the E (first beat of the bar), so as to not over-emphasize a carry-over of the F from the previous measure.

I am sure one could make an equally convincing argument for starting the trill on the F - if so, I'd like to hear it - but for me the trill sounds and feels more in keeping with the melodic line when started on the E.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: trills in Bach, trills in Chopin #375093
06/24/07 02:43 PM
06/24/07 02:43 PM
Dallas, TX, US
Schubertian Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Schubertian  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Dallas, TX, US
This is the way I was always taught - in the baroque the trill is always according to the french style, i.e. four notes starting with the note above. This style of execution supposedly continued into the classical and early romantic era at which point Hummel - in a theoretical work - demanded that trills start on the main note - and then - at Hummel's authority - the entire musical world immediately switched to starting with the main note (see harold schonberg's book on The Great Pianists - its in there somewhere).

Recently - actually, just last week - I read Badura-Skoda's "Interpreting Bach at the Keyboard" which goes over Bach's ornamentation in detail. There is no single simple formula to follow and every case must be examined separately with consideration to melodic flow, voice leading and harmony - but in general Bach's symbols may be interpreted according to d'Alembert and Rameau's detailed explainations. However Bach used a single symbol - the wavy line - to represent various types of extended trills and also an short trill his son CPE called the 'Prall-triller' which starts on the main note, and is executed with two notes: the note above and then the main note again (c - d- c), and it should be executed with a 'snap'. It is the inverse of the mordent.

Badura-Skoda goes to great lengths to establish it's historical credentials and to illustrated when and how it should be used. Get a copy of this book. It is well written, interesting, and a useful practical guide.

"There are so many mornings that have not yet dawned." -- Rg Veda
Re: trills in Bach, trills in Chopin #375094
06/24/07 04:50 PM
06/24/07 04:50 PM
pianojerome Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
pianojerome  Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member

Originally posted by BruceD:
Sam :

For example, this afternoon I am performing (among other pieces) the Chopin Waltz, Op 34, No 2, in a minor. In measure 5 is the first occurence of a trill on a melody note - in this case in the left hand. The trill is on E, but since the previous note is an F, I am opting to start the trill on the E (first beat of the bar), so as to not over-emphasize a carry-over of the F from the previous measure.
Thanks -- this is the exact waltz that I was playing this morning, which made me think of the question about trills.

Sam
Re: trills in Bach, trills in Chopin #375095
06/24/07 09:40 PM
06/24/07 09:40 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Matthew Collett Offline
500 Post Club Member
Matthew Collett  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Auckland, New Zealand
Originally posted by Schubertian:
However Bach used a single symbol - the wavy line - to represent various types of extended trills and also an short trill his son CPE called the 'Prall-triller' which starts on the main note, and is executed with two notes: the note above and then the main note again (c - d- c), and it should be executed with a 'snap'. It is the inverse of the mordent.
CPE distinguishes between the 'Pralltriller' or 'half-trill' (e.g. D-C-D-C) and the 'snap' ('upper mordent' or 'inverse mordent' e.g. C-D-C). The former he treats as a variant of the trill, notated in the same way; the latter he treats as a completely separate ornament with no standard notation (he writes it out using two grace notes), which suggests to me that it was fairly new-fangled in his time. Does Badura-Skoda not make this distinction?

Best wishes,
Matthew

"Passions, violent or not, may never be expressed to the point of revulsion; even in the most frightening situation music must never offend the ear but must even then offer enjoyment, i.e. must always remain music." -- W.A.Mozart

212cm Fazioli: some photos and recordings .
Auckland Catholic Music Schola .
Re: trills in Bach, trills in Chopin #375096
06/24/07 10:48 PM
06/24/07 10:48 PM
Dallas, TX, US
Schubertian Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Schubertian  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Dallas, TX, US
Badura-Skoda's argument is quite complex and detailed and unfortunately I dont have time to do it justice here, the best I can do is to urge you to take a look at it yourself

CPE Back himself states in the 1787 edition of the Essay that the Pralltriller and the Schneller ('snap') are identical - what CPE did was to invent a new notation for the case where a pralltriller is not immediately preceded by a higher tone to which it is slurred - (this I take it was the normal situation) - this is indicated with two grace notes. Both ornaments are executed the same way - as the inversion of a mordent, or c-d-c.

"There are so many mornings that have not yet dawned." -- Rg Veda
Re: trills in Bach, trills in Chopin #375097
06/25/07 02:16 AM
06/25/07 02:16 AM
London, UK (though if it's Aug...
keyboardklutz Offline
keyboardklutz  Offline

London, UK (though if it's Aug...
There are exceptions in the Baroque. The Gm prelude Bk I needs to start on the G not above. It's to do with the long note.

Here's an interesting one. Has anyone ever seen a mordent with a stroke through it? Mozart uses them in his variations KV 500 in Bb. He must have got it from Haydn who uses it in sonata Hob.XVI:17 also in Bb. Logic kind of predicts you do an upside down mordent. But anybody seen it before? It's not in the Versuch or Dannreuther.

Pianojerome, the tone of your second posting would indicate there is a personal choice. Only if it is within the contemporary performance practice.

snobbyish, yet maybe helpful.
http://keyboardclass.blogspot.com/

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
What would you have done.....Hammer problem
by Duaner. 01/16/19 06:39 AM
For Pianoteq devotees: new instrument introduced
by QuasiUnaFantasia. 01/16/19 06:37 AM
Yamaha Smart Pianist Recording
by oneilt130. 01/16/19 05:42 AM
Dynamics and listening skills - tip!
by Animisha. 01/16/19 04:21 AM
Tips for playing Mozart K310 First movement
by hyena. 01/16/19 03:38 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,600
Posts2,782,233
Members92,114
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission