2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, Colin Miles, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 8 invisible), 1,944 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#374513 02/08/05 10:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm just coming back to regular piano playing after a 2 year struggle with tendinitis in my right forearm and elbow. (By the way . . I lost the struggle and ended up having to succumb to surgery). But, luckily the surgery and therapy worked wonders and I'm almost fully recovered.

During the struggle when I wasn't able to play I spent all my time reading and studying about proper technique. I read everything from Taubman to . . . Taubman - (can't remember all the names in between). I even learned some left-hand pieces which helped with the "piano withdrawal" symptoms for a while, but had to stop because I began having symptoms in my left elbow (which was already overworked from compensating for the right one)

I'm being extremely careful when I play now -- I take breaks during practicing (except when I occasionally get carried away and lose track of time :rolleyes: ) I'm currently working on a Bach suite and a Field nocturne . . . staying away from big fast pieces that require stretches and fast runs -- I have a good piano teacher who knows a lot about proper technique . . . using arm weight, playing without tension, etc. (He even had a lesson with Ms.Taubman many years ago). My technique has improved a lot from all this study. I stop myself whenever I feel like I'm tensing up and re-evaluate how I'm playing. But even after all this my left elbow is starting to have the same symptoms as the right one used to. frown This is very frustrating for me because . . . well. . . I NEED to be able to play the piano! Its the only way I can stay even half-way sane.

Have any of you out there ever dealt with this kind of problem?? Anybody have any advice??

Thanks for reading this way-too-long post. I normally don't talk this much!

Regards,

Lisa

#374514 02/08/05 11:07 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Which suite are you doing? Out of curiosity... I'm really sorry to hear that you had such a problem with tendanitis, but very happy to hear you managed to overcome it! This would be especially distressing for me if I knew that it had come from overexerting yourself on very technically challenging pieces due to deadlines, etc, I sure hope that's not the case!

Is there anything you can recommend to pianists who, at all costs, want to avoid any risk of tendanitis? I'm really wondering how many hours of practise per day is becoming risky, or if any amount of hours is ok if you are cautious and warm up, take breaks etc.

As a performing composer I spend an awful lot of time at the piano, and work just as hard, if not harder, learning to play my own compositions as I do the ones out of the standard repertory! My ultimate nightmare has always been somehow critically injuring myself to a point where my musical ambitions would be all for nil... again which is why I have incredibly enheartened to hear about your success in recovery!!!

#374515 02/09/05 12:00 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Lisa D,

I'm really sorry to hear of your travails...

I CANNOT stress this enough (if it were possible, I'd hire sky writers to fly over your residence to spell it out!!!) It is sooooo important and crucial for you to seek out an Alexander Technique teacher. Whether you are a confirmed skeptic or doubtful Dorothy or wondering Wendy: DO IT!!! Give it a thorough try: at least 8 private lessons. Don't try to rationalize it, just DO IT! You owe it to yourself. If it seems like a waste of money, rationalize it. It's easy enough to rationalize spending money! You will not regret it and if you do I'll personally reimburse you for the expense! So there!

(Be sure to explain to your AT teacher everything you have posted above.)

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
#374516 02/09/05 12:40 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm working on Suite 3 in B-minor from the French Suites. The Courante is the most challenging for me -- (lots of ornaments!)

I think it was a Hummel sonata that finally pushed my frazzled tendons over the edge. I'm not a major performer with deadlines to meet or anything like that (although I wish I was that good!) I just play in occasional recitals and am a member of a music group called the "MacDowell Ensemble" -- (a group of musicians who get together once a month to perform for eachother and keep music skills sharp) Anyway, I had worked hard on this Hummel Sonata and then began working on a Mozart sonata when I finally had to just stop because of the pain.

What I learned about tendonitis is that there can be two people doing the exact same kind of repetitive motion - whether it be piano-playing or typing -- and one will develop tendonitis, yet the other never will. Some people just have a "tendency" towards it.

The only advice I would give as far as preventing it from happening would be to really listen to your body. If you ever feel any pain (or fatigue)in your forearms or elbows during or after practicing -- DON'T just try and push through it. I did because I thought that If I just worked harder I would get stronger and the pain would go away. Duh! Tendonitis can be reversed if caught and dealt with early on. But if it gets ignored and one keeps playing in the same manner, what happens is that scar tissue builds on top of scar tissue and eventually gets to the point where it can't heal without surgical intervention.

Also, during those long practice times its wise to take a few small breaks -- maybe every 20 minutes -- and just do a few small stretches with wrists and arms.

There's quite a bit out there on the internet about musician injuries, too.

Thanks for your concern.

Practice carefully thumb

Lisa

#374517 02/09/05 02:42 AM
A
A
My commiserations! Tendinitis is a real nuisance and can take a very very long time to clear up. Take it easy and don't push too hard! The upside is that you surely appreciate playing again now that you can return to it...

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission