2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 10 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#371435 01/05/08 02:01 PM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
What are your opinions on this piece?

This is Brahms proving himself to the world. A very powerful work which shows a unique voice, albeit far from his mature style.

I have actually considered it as a closing piece on a recital for what it says, as this recital will be the place that I choose to draw the line between childhood and adulthood in my life.

Thoughts?

Daniel

Amateur Pianist, Scriabin Enthusiast, and Octave Demon
#371436 01/05/08 02:11 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I absolutely adore it! I think it is one of the finest opus 1's ever. And when Brahms first went into the wide world, it was always this sonata that he chose to play to introduce himself as a composer. Later, when asked why he published this as opus 1 and the earlier F# minor sonata as opus 2, Brahms said, "When one introduces oneself, one wants to be looked at at the head, not the heels."

In fact, I think of this sonata as highly as the more often performed F minor sonata, and to my ears the finale of the C major is a better ending than that of the F minor. To my fingers, it is not as tough as the F minor sonata, but as I said once, I simply can't get those leaps in the last movement main theme right. Do you have troubles with those too? If not, how did you get those leaps down? Anyone else have any advice on how to execute those rapid leaps?

It's great that you are taking an interest in this wonderful work!

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.
#371437 01/05/08 02:26 PM
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by Janus Sachs:
In fact, I think of this sonata as highly as the more often performed F minor sonata, and to my ears the finale of the C major is a better ending than that of the F minor.
I don't think I would quite go that far, but I understand where you're coming from. The C major is one terrific piece -much easier musically and technically than the F minor- and I would encourage Daniel to study it!

And speaking of early Brahms, isn't the Eb minor Scherzo a superb piece of work? One wonders what the rest of the sonata sounded like before meeting its fate at the hearth.

Jason
#371438 01/05/08 02:43 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
argerichfan, do we have any evidence that the Eb minor Scherzo was originally part of another sonata? I mean, aside from the fact that there were at least two (possibly three) sonatas that preceded the three we know?

Agreed, it's a great piece, and a wonderful example of the 19th century "diabolical" scherzo type -- though admittedly the Chopin B minor is the supreme one in this respect (to my ears) -- as one writer on music put it, "One wonders why Chopin called these pieces Scherzi. The first could've easily been called 'War and Peace.' "

I absolutely adore that shattering dissonance near the end (German augmented 6th over a dominant pedal). And the way he pounds it in a proto-Bartokian way!

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Sie bleiben wie alle.
#371439 01/05/08 03:19 PM
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
argerichfan, do we have any evidence that the Eb minor Scherzo was originally part of another sonata?
No direct evidence that I know of, but don't you think it a bit odd that Brahms would have written a stand-alone Scherzo without at least considering it in a larger context? Intuitively it makes sense to me.

On the other hand, the Chopin Scherzi (which I love!) work perfectly as stand-alones, and I could never conceive of a prior or subsequent movement to any of them. But all hard to explain, really.

Jason
#371440 01/05/08 03:27 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yeah, I know what you are getting at. On the other hand, what makes me think Brahms meant it as a stand alone piece is the fact that he uses the expansive two trio layout, which Brahms never used again in any piece or movement afterwards (and to think that Schumann is often associated with the two trio layout, though Brahms probably got this from some of Mozart's use of two trios since he only got to know Schumann's works after he composed the Scherzo). But one never knows, really, we could only guess.
P.S.: On the other hand, the rather perfunctory "coda" (if it could be called as such) supports your hypothesis. A stand alone piece of that nature seems to cry out for a bigger ending than what Brahms provided.

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Sie bleiben wie alle.
#371441 01/05/08 03:37 PM
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
...what makes me think Brahms meant it as a stand alone piece is the fact that he uses the expansive two trio layout, which Brahms never used again in any piece or movement afterwards...
I figured this was going to come up in support of the stand-alone theory. And it is a powerful argument, no doubt.

But it makes me fantasize about what the sheer scale of the other movements would have to be, so as not to be dwarfed by such a monstrous -and glorious- Scherzo.

Good point about the "perfunctory" coda.

Jason

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission