Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
106 registered members (bennevis, barbaram, ando, Amedeus, accordeur, anotherscott, anamnesis, Beowulf, Animisha, 27 invisible), 1,580 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Slurred Staccato #363108
02/02/09 04:08 PM
02/02/09 04:08 PM
United States
agent3x Offline OP
agent3x  Offline OP
United States
I've come across several pieces that have slurred staccato. Although I've listened carefully, I haven't noticed anything particular in recordings of those pieces to give me a clear idea of how to play slurred staccato notes/chords.

In Chopin's Etude Op. 10 No. 9, there are entire measures that are staccato and slurred, so I though that those might be phrase markings. However, there are also two-note groups of slurred staccato notes.

Slurred staccatos are also in Chopin's Op. 9 No. 2 and Medtner's Fairy Tale in b-flat minor (op. 20 no. 1).

Furthermore, all these pieces use frequent pedaling. It seems that with the slurring and pedaling, one wouldn't even hear the staccato.

I use these examples in particular because I have learned/am learning them. What I've been doing for the smaller groups is lifting the pedal after each note/chord. For the larger phrases in the etude, I've been playing the notes staccato but don't see the purpose, as staccato with pedal sounds the same to me as a note played normally with pedal.

Advice?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Slurred Staccato #363109
02/02/09 04:12 PM
02/02/09 04:12 PM
Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
S
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member
sotto voce  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
S
I don't really have any practical advice, but the official term for it is portato or "articulated legato."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portato

You may find more information about its execution on piano by searching on those terms.

Steven

Re: Slurred Staccato #363110
02/02/09 05:27 PM
02/02/09 05:27 PM
Washington DC
C
ChristinaW Offline
ChristinaW  Offline
C
Washington DC
That's in Mozart a lot, also, isn't it? It's played kind of just the way it's called -- it's not legato, but not as sharp or disconnected as a regular staccato. Don't you have a teacher? A teacher should tell you how to play them and demonstrate. I'll have to admit, I don't think you usually have them in pieces with pedaling at the same time, though. I don't think my CHopin nocturnes have that mark (or etudes) with pedaling, I'll have to check. However, I don't see the problem with having a slur mark with staccatos, even if two notes, it just indicates a portato which is exactly what this is. It's just that the note should sound for about 3/4 the amount of time as usual, more or less.

Re: Slurred Staccato #363111
02/02/09 06:34 PM
02/02/09 06:34 PM
Istanbul
The Boy Next Door Offline
The Boy Next Door  Offline
Istanbul
my teacher says; play it legato in an almost non-legato fashion but articulate each note as if staccato.

Well not very practical advice but i think one would get the meaning.

Both music and dance
Are voices of the Way.
-Zenji Hakuin
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Slurred Staccato #363112
02/02/09 07:00 PM
02/02/09 07:00 PM
C
curlyfries Offline
curlyfries  Offline
C
This is just my last question restated? Did you decide which ones were portato and which portamento? You can pedal with staccato-doesn't sound same to me. Not another word.

Re: Slurred Staccato #363113
02/02/09 07:44 PM
02/02/09 07:44 PM
United States
agent3x Offline OP
agent3x  Offline OP
United States
Originally posted by ChristinaW:
That's in Mozart a lot, also, isn't it? It's played kind of just the way it's called -- it's not legato, but not as sharp or disconnected as a regular staccato. Don't you have a teacher? A teacher should tell you how to play them and demonstrate. I'll have to admit, I don't think you usually have them in pieces with pedaling at the same time, though. I don't think my CHopin nocturnes have that mark (or etudes) with pedaling, I'll have to check. However, I don't see the problem with having a slur mark with staccatos, even if two notes, it just indicates a portato which is exactly what this is. It's just that the note should sound for about 3/4 the amount of time as usual, more or less.
No, I haven't got a teacher at the moment. I didn't say there was a problem with slurred staccato-- just that I don't know how to play them. I'd never heard of the term 'portato' before. And yes, all three pieces require pedal, with explicit direction in the scores.

Re: Slurred Staccato #363114
02/02/09 07:47 PM
02/02/09 07:47 PM
Los Angeles
akonow Offline
500 Post Club Member
akonow  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Los Angeles
It might be that the slur is there only to indicate where the phrase starts and stops. Since you're using pedal throughout, you should probably play it staccato but with pedal. That's just my two cents though. wink

Bach - WTC I in C major & C minor (BWV 846-847)
Mozart - Sonata K 282
Chopin - Polonaises Op 26
Schumann - Fantasiest├╝cke Op 12
Re: Slurred Staccato #363115
02/03/09 12:26 PM
02/03/09 12:26 PM
Washington DC
C
ChristinaW Offline
ChristinaW  Offline
C
Washington DC
okay, I looked at two versions I have of the CHopin Nocturnes and both have it (one being Urtext, Henle) and I see what you mean. I guess I play these so often I just don't think about it so much any more, but that is very common in Chopin's writing.

Even with pedaling, you can definitely hear this method of playing a note clearly, it shouldn't be a problem that you can't even tell it is portato with a pedal. I played op 9 no 2 last night, and you should be easily able to detect this technique even when pedaling.

I just think that if you don't even know the term or how to play these, you are probably in over over your head in playing these pieces, I have trouble understanding how you could get to that level and not know this technique. I really suggest you get a teacher if you are trying to play this level of repertoire, or perhaps the ones you have had are not very good or you didn't retain anything, you should have learned that a long time ago, IMO.

Re: Slurred Staccato #363116
02/03/09 04:13 PM
02/03/09 04:13 PM
S
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member
sotto voce  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
S
[...] I just think that if you don't even know the term or how to play these, you are probably in over over your head in playing these pieces, I have trouble understanding how you could get to that level and not know this technique. I really suggest you get a teacher if you are trying to play this level of repertoire, or perhaps the ones you have had are not very good or you didn't retain anything, you should have learned that a long time ago, IMO.
ChristinaW,

Dang, this is harsh IMHO. If I were the OP, I wouldn't find these remarks terribly useful and might even feel belittled by such heavy-handed language.

We all have differing backgrounds and goals. I know from personal experience that one doesn't necessarily need a teacher to learn (or to know what repertoire is appropriate to learn). I also admit that in all my years of playing (including any number of pieces with staccato within a slur), I didn't know what it was officially called until very recently.

Sure, I had teachers as a kid who were mediocre at best; most of my grasp of terminology came from reading a pocket-sized music dictionary, and I just don't remember encountering the term portato. It was brought to light here in a discussion of slurs, ties, and the question of how a note could apparently be slurred to itself yet not be tied.

Anyway, I don't think one need know that term to have a pretty good sense of what's called for, whether by listening to a recording of the passage or just guessing from the transparency of the notation. If you combine the detachment of staccato with the binding of a slur, you have slight detachment. I find the literal translation of portato ("carried") to be far less revealing!

Steven

Re: Slurred Staccato #363117
02/03/09 04:24 PM
02/03/09 04:24 PM
Phoenix Metro, AZ
P
ProdigalPianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
ProdigalPianist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Phoenix Metro, AZ
Originally posted by sotto voce:
[b][...] I just think that if you don't even know the term or how to play these, you are probably in over over your head in playing these pieces, I have trouble understanding how you could get to that level and not know this technique. I really suggest you get a teacher if you are trying to play this level of repertoire, or perhaps the ones you have had are not very good or you didn't retain anything, you should have learned that a long time ago, IMO.
ChristinaW,

Dang, this is harsh IMHO. If I were the OP, I wouldn't find these remarks terribly useful and might even feel belittled by such heavy-handed language.[/b]
Might? I don't think there's any "might" about it.

Originally posted by sotto voce:

Sure, I had teachers as a kid who were mediocre at best; most of my grasp of terminology came from reading a pocket-sized music dictionary, and I just don't remember encountering the term portato. It was brought to light here in a discussion of slurs, ties, and the question of how a note could apparently be slurred to itself yet not be tied.

Steven
Even my non-mediocre teachers didn't use the term. I had 3 years of college piano lessons as a music ed major and the only time I ever heard of portato was from my string teacher. And this was while playing pieces that I know have portato in them.

The term makes sense to me in relation to strings but not so much to piano.

Adult Amateur Pianist

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.
Re: Slurred Staccato #363118
02/03/09 11:55 PM
02/03/09 11:55 PM
United States
agent3x Offline OP
agent3x  Offline OP
United States
Thanks for coming to my defense, Steven and ProdigalPianist.

Like I said, I lift the pedal after each note to lessen the legato, but I don't play them staccato. I didn't know that portato was that straightforward.

As for staccato with the pedal, I'm just not hearing a difference when compared to a normal note played with pedal. Perhaps it's the piano or the acoustics. Or perhaps this simply requires more ear training to know what to listen for.

Re: Slurred Staccato #363119
02/04/09 07:46 PM
02/04/09 07:46 PM
Hessen, Germany
Euphonatrix Offline
500 Post Club Member
Euphonatrix  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hessen, Germany
Portato means that the notes have more "body" than in staccato, they can develop sound or resonance but are separated from each other.

I find it quite difficult to play. Do you have good recordings of your pieces? Maybe you could listen to them watching the score closely and get an idea of the portato sound you're after?

"The creative process is nothing but a series of crises."
(Isaac B. Singer)

[Linked Image]
Re: Slurred Staccato #363120
02/04/09 09:37 PM
02/04/09 09:37 PM
New York
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Andromaque  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
New York
FWIW, my teacher has me play these in a "non-legato" fashion, i.e. lift your hand prior to striking the key to create a detached (and full-bodied) sound. If repetitive, I lift my hand in-between each note; the duration is also supposed to be about 3/4 of the normal duration of the note.
where are the pro-pianists ? how do they do it?(sorry if one of the responders is one..)

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
key racks with hand sanitizer
Attn: Piano Teachers, Music Teachers, Studios!

A rack made from actual piano keys, with individual hand sanitizer for each student!
Tons more music related products in our online store!
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Amadeus Piano
by LennieAJ. 09/25/18 09:46 AM
Considering the Kawai ES8 digital piano
by Revantu. 09/25/18 05:43 AM
Ludwig & Hoff - anyone?
by styzer. 09/25/18 04:52 AM
Steinway on digital piano's
by Timpskie. 09/25/18 04:31 AM
Yamaha CLP-645 touch
by Beowulf. 09/25/18 04:16 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,476
Posts2,747,673
Members91,091
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission