2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Ive been listening and skimming through the notes to Liszt's trancendental etudes and it seems like the first one in C major is the easiest? Anybody else know which are easier and which is the hardest? Just wondering which one(s) to begin with.
Thanks =)

Currently Working:
Brahms: Intermezzo Op.119 no.3 in C

Currently Polishing:
Chopin Fantasie-Impromptu Op. 66
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Yes, No.1 is the easiest.

The hardest is hard to say because for advanced pianists each might find a different hardest.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
"Trancendental Etudes" translates to everyday English as "Increasingly Difficult Etudes." That might give a clue to what Liszt thought.

Semipro Tech
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
BDB, transcendant implies going beyond the norm, but not necessarily in an ascending order. My translation (loosely defined) would be damned difficult etudes. I tend to think of Feux Follets (V) as one of the hardest. I played Harmonies du Soir (XI) and I can assure all that (V) is much harder. They all have their problems to be sure.

B
BDB Offline
B
The French title, "Etudes d'execution transcendante," under which they were published, means "Increasingly Difficult Etudes."

Semipro Tech
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by BDB:
The French title, "Etudes d'execution transcendante," under which they were published, means "Increasingly Difficult Etudes."
That would be "ascendante". "transcendant" means transcendental, as in "going beyond".

I have an ice cream. I cannot mail it, for it will melt.
P
P
Yeah, I wouldnt agree with the "increasing difficulty" statement either. I play Numbers 10 and 11, and wouldn't get anywhere near 4 or 5 smile

B
BDB Offline
B
Bärenreiter translates it as "Studies in increasing degree of difficulty." Whether you find them to increase in difficulty or not does not mean Liszt did not. That is why all these discussions about which piece is more difficult than some other are exercises in transcendental futility.

Semipro Tech
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Sorry, Bärenreiter is incorrect.

Transcendente means these études require a technique beyond anything written previously. As mrenaud said, someone has gotten this confused with the term ascendente.

If you play any of these Études (I play 3/4ths of them) it becomes immediately apparent that they are not ordered by difficulty.

Personally, I find #3 (Paysage) to be the easiest. It is much easier than #1 (Preludio).

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Bärenreiter translates it as "Studies in increasing degree of difficulty." Whether you find them to increase in difficulty or not does not mean Liszt did not. That is why all these discussions about which piece is more difficult than some other are exercises in transcendental futility.
BDB, there is definitely no progressive ordering in difficulty -- this is not Czerny or Hanon... Can you provide the exact quote of the Baerenreiter text? I cannot imagine they one of those careful editions would contain such a mistake. The preface of Universal Edition's text refers to "transcendental" as "roughly translated: exceeding the borders of the imaginable".

B
BDB Offline
B
I wrote exactly what was in the Bärenreiter edition, which is now the EMB edition. You can see the index page with the German version of the title: Etuden in aufsteigender Schwierigkeit, here. That translates directly to "Studies in increasing level of difficulty." There are other editions with the same German title, which no doubt dates from Liszt's first German publication. As I recall, German was Liszt's first language.

That is all from me on this subject. Get off your seats and do your own research.

Semipro Tech
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
BDB, it seems certain that you never concede an argument.

But you are wrong. Furthermore, insulting everyone here is exceedingly unhelpful.

If you played these pieces you would understand that they are simply not in order of difficulty. End of story.

Besides, the German word "aufsteigender" (which you pointed us to) does not necessarily mean "ascending". It can mean "more ascending", i.e. transcendent.

It is clear in French, German, or English.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Get off your seats and do your own research.
OK, here is some research:

According to Jim Samson in his book "Virtuosity and the Musical Work: The Transcendental Studies of Liszt", the composer "used the Haslinger edition of the Grandes Études as the basis for the Stichvorlage he sent to Breitkopf & Härtel".

"The entire set was published by Breitkopf & Härtel the following year (1852) as Études d'exécution transcendante, and Liszt was careful to point out that this was the 'seule édition authentique revue par l'auteur' ..."

The original title - authorized by the composer himself - was in French, which Liszt spoke fluently.

OP Offline
Lol BDB, I definetely know that NO.5 is way harder than almost all of them, and its in the middle of the set so I dont really think there in order, even though NO.1 MAY be the easiest it doesnt mean the whole set is in order of difficulty.

Currently Working:
Brahms: Intermezzo Op.119 no.3 in C

Currently Polishing:
Chopin Fantasie-Impromptu Op. 66

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission