2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
24 members (DanD, kayvee, Alex_Ki, John305, GreatShowmanChopin, Deltajockey, Groove On, foxy.au, 5 invisible), 391 guests, and 430 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Does anyone raise their piano bench excessively?
#359031 04/22/08 04:24 PM
M
MDes Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Usually, I sit at around the 'regular' piano height, where the forearms are approximately parallel to the ground and at the height of the keys. For some reason I decided to see what it would be like sitting higher, and plopped a big 3 inch book on the bench. It was clearly at a much higher height than I've seen most people sitting at. Yet to my amazement, the touch of the keys and playing felt completely different. It took so much less effort, and everything was so much more smooth and comfortable. Not to mention that since my head was 3 inches closer to the opening of the piano(I play an upright), the sound I was hearing sounded more 'pure'.

So my question is, how come noone sits higher at the piano? And would it be dangerous for me to play like that for extended periods of time? It doesn't feel like it would cause any problems, but that may be something I won't notice until it's too late. It was great though.. really.

Re: Does anyone raise their piano bench excessively?
#359032 04/22/08 05:17 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I use the adjustable bench at its top height. I'm 5'7". I have carpal tunnel syndrome.

I find that with my bifocals I can read music easier.

I find that there is less stress on my hands.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
#359033 04/22/08 06:00 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I'm not exactly Glenn Gould but I can't seem to get my bench low enough (and I'm only 5'6"). I actually took the tiny metal taps off the bottoms of the legs.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
#359034 04/22/08 06:37 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by -Frycek:
I'm not exactly Glenn Gould but I can't seem to get my bench low enough (and I'm only 5'6"). I actually took the tiny metal taps off the bottoms of the legs.
Have you put your piano on castors yet?

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
#359035 04/22/08 06:41 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by lilylady:
Originally posted by -Frycek:
[b] I'm not exactly Glenn Gould but I can't seem to get my bench low enough (and I'm only 5'6"). I actually took the tiny metal taps off the bottoms of the legs.
Have you put your piano on castors yet? [/b]
They are both already on castors. Add castor cups maybe?

[Linked Image]
#359036 04/22/08 08:09 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
yup, castor cups were meant!

(she knocks herself upside her head)

#359037 04/22/08 08:21 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Erroll Garner sat high. Legend has it that Liszt sat high and away from the piano.

"See?! The Cliffs of Insanity!"
#359038 04/22/08 09:40 PM
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Sitting high and slightly away gives you more leverage for arm and upper back strenght. I experimented with this a little when i was learning chopin op 10 no 1. Helped a little bit i guess, but every little bit counts when you're playing op 10 no 1.

"I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well."

J.S. Bach
#359039 04/22/08 11:02 PM
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
I use an adjustable rolling office chair...benches are too hard on the sit-bones...

#359040 04/23/08 05:12 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by MDes:
So my question is, how come noone sits higher at the piano? And would it be dangerous for me to play like that for extended periods of time? It doesn't feel like it would cause any problems, but that may be something I won't notice until it's too late. It was great though.. really.
Actually, plenty of people sit very high at the piano. Most adjustable artist benches do not go high enough. My artist bench at its maximum height is just right for me, but for my piano students I have to add a cushion or phonebook for them to sit on. I insist on having my students sitting at the correct height.

I prefer to have my elbows slightly above the keys, and I play with level-to-high wrists. My professor in college spent the entire first lesson explaining why I am sitting too low and how sitting higher can liberate your arms and wrists to play more difficult pieces. She's right!!

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
#359041 04/23/08 05:27 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Each person have to sit a different height not matter their height or body weight. The height of the bench is determined by the ratio between the lenght of the upper arm, forearm and torso.
So you might take 20 people of the same height, age and body type but their upper arm lenght, forearm length and torso lenght will vary.

As a rule those with a short torso and long upper arms have to sit higher. Those with a long torso and short upper arms have to sit lower.

This also means that for some people the correct height which leaves the forearm parallel to the ground will place the elbow above keys level while for others the exact same position of the forearm will place the elbow below keys level.

Still you should sight within a range in which your forearm is parallel to the ground and the upper arm are free to hang freely.

If you're sitting too high the forearm will be at an angle sloping down to reach the key and you will force the shoulders and shoulder blades down.

If you're sitting too low your forearm will be at an angle sloping upwards and you will raise and keep the shoulders and shoulder blades raised.

#359042 04/23/08 06:14 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Danny Niklas:
Those with a long torso and short upper arms have to sit lower.
That's me. I have a hard time getting shirts that aren't bobtailed on me and then have to roll up the sleeves.

[Linked Image]
#359043 04/23/08 09:52 AM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
My artist bench at its maximum height is just right for me, but for my piano students I have to add a cushion or phonebook for them to sit on.
Concert halls usually have small wooden platforms to put the bench on when someone wants a taller bench. This gives more secure seating than cushions or such.

Semipro Tech
#359044 04/24/08 05:40 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have a short torso (= longer legs than average for my height), but shorter arms (sleeves of formal shirts tend to be 2-3 cm too long).

What would be best for me in this prospective?

"The man that hath no music in himself / Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds / Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils." (W.Shakespeare)

Kemble Conservatoire 335025 Walnut Satin
#359045 04/24/08 11:53 PM
C
C
I do something that has the same effect for digital pianos. I use gig style pianos, which need a separate keyboard stand. Every keyboard stand I've had or tried (except for one very cheap off-brand I found on ebay), at its lower setting, is still about 2 or 4 inches higher then I would like. So I resorted to either using a file to cut an extra notch in the height adjustment mechanism, for X-stands, or, with table style stands, using a pipe cuter to cut a few inches off the legs (which also cuts of the height adjustment mechanism, but as long as I can get to height I want, I don't care.) Why the stand manufacturers make their stands so their lowest setting is so high, I don't know. Fine if you play standing up, but if you play sitting down, the lowest height is way too high.

#359046 04/25/08 03:21 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I always have the bench as high as possible.

I find it a bit exasperating when the bench has been left really low by the previous person, and I have to twist and twist the knobs - twisting at that angle seems to stress my wrists. Does anyone else have the same problem?

Originally posted by Innominato:
I have a short torso (= longer legs than average for my height), but shorter arms (sleeves of formal shirts tend to be 2-3 cm too long).

What would be best for me in this prospective?
Clarinet? smile

#359047 04/25/08 03:33 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
"Clarinet? smile "

smile smile wink

"The man that hath no music in himself / Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds / Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils." (W.Shakespeare)

Kemble Conservatoire 335025 Walnut Satin
#359048 04/25/08 06:31 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by whippen boy:
I always have the bench as high as possible.

I find it a bit exasperating when the bench has been left really low by the previous person, and I have to twist and twist the knobs - twisting at that angle seems to stress my wrists. Does anyone else have the same problem?
YES!

Have carpal tunnel syndrome and twisting those knobs drives me nuts. Luckily being a blonde, some nice male usually comes to my rescue!

Recent visit to a home saw a plug in auto adjuster. We just hit the button and away she went!

#359049 04/25/08 06:47 AM
P
P
I couldn't resist a reply to this post. I teach the Alexander Technique to Musicians (and I am a pianist as well) and seat height for EVERY musician is a challenge. While everyone has an opinion about the height of the bench in relation to hands and arms, I look at hip joints. Yes-really. If there is a slight slope down to your thigh i.e. your leg slopes down toward the floor, then it is easier to keep the hips free which allows your back to lengthen fully which adds to the freedom of your arms. It also contributes to a free pedal leg. I usually raise people up. The amount depends on their height. Too high is when your heels are no longer supporting you well.

#359050 04/25/08 07:36 AM
MDes

In regards to the height you have your stool its completely a personal decision. Using the philosophy ' what works '. Music Teachers will go to great lengths to discuss and illustrat ehand positions sitting positiong etc. In the end you are the person playing and you adopt the posture and height that suite you.

On top of the line grands there is an adjustible bench. You adjust it to the height that suits yourself. If you can traverse easily from the one end of the keys to the other and feel comfortable then the stool is at the right height for you.

Some concert artists create a whole performance spectacle re adjusting the height of the stool.

When you are playing a piece of a long duration ( e.g. a Beethoven Sonate ) you need to set up in advance to ensure your own personal comfort.

If you are comfortable in posture at the piano this quickly shows in the piece.

Enjoy your playing and the height of the bench is all a matter of personal preference

Maurice
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hybrid piano too loud for my neighbor :(
by kiwibd - 11/27/20 07:19 PM
White noise
by QuasarPiano - 11/27/20 05:40 PM
Im Strolling Along With You
by Claude56 - 11/27/20 05:12 PM
Stretch Tuning in Sampled DPs?
by Harpuia - 11/27/20 05:10 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,086
Posts3,027,948
Members99,391
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission