2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, 8 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Can different sets of etudes be applied to slightly different circumstances? For instance, I've noticed an incredible boost in my hand flexibility and general technique after studying Chopin's etude op. 10 no. 1.

Etudes I'm thinking of are Rachmaninoff's, Scriabin's, Liszt's, Chopin's, Alkan's, Moszkowski's, anyone, really, who has written etudes.

Is there a logical progression through which one can venture through these different composers and their etudes? Has anyone noted particular etudes which were particularly beneficial?

I've begun the Black Keys etude by Chopin (I'm convinced that Chopin etudes are incredibly beneficial to your technique, both from experience and hearing others talk about them), and speed and accuracy seem to be the primary improvements made from this etude.

I've also heard that transposing parts of etudes and playing through each key is very, very beneficial. I intend to play the opening pattern of the Black Keys etude in all 12 keys.

Has anyone noted any one composer's etudes to be particularly more beneficial than others?

Thanks a lot,

-Colin

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
my teacher said that Chopin etudes are good for techniques, because each one emphasize on only one specific technique which you have to play continuously without much relief and therefore, it benefits one's techniques greatly. on the other hand, Liszt's might not be so benefitial, because each of those etudes basically contains various techniques and you don't really benefit much on improving a few sepecific areas.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Personally, I would do a Czerny book for fluidity.

Then, I would compartmentalize into working 2 kinds of etudes at once. Group one would be Moszkowski Etudes for finger dexterity, moving on to Chopin for the same kind of work.
Group 2 is Wrist, arm technique and doublenotes.

I'd work on Saint-Saens Op. 52-1,3, then 111-6, then 52-6. Then, I'd move on to any of the Liszt Etudes D'Execution Transcendante.

I think that working both tracks of etudes would be most beneficial and wise.
(P.S. Can anyone validate such a plan?)

Amateur Pianist, Scriabin Enthusiast, and Octave Demon
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Depends on what each hand requires--and what the person wishes to enhance. I always stress the Clementi Gradus ad Parnassum as an adjunct to the Moszkowski Etudes.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Liszt's Harmonies du Soir is very good for cultivating a good pedal technique - there aren't many etudes that make the pedal the focus but I believe this is one.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by dnephi:
Personally, I would do a Czerny book for fluidity.
As unfashionable as it is with some on this forum, I still say 5-finger exercises practised with full concentration will accomplish anything Czerny can... and in a fraction of the time.

I'd work on Saint-Saens Op. 52-1,3, then 111-6, then 52-6.
These are terrific etudes. (And don't forget the etudes for left hand, Opus 135.) Piers Lane, in the notes to his Hyperion recording, claims they were as hard for him as the Liszt Etudes. eek

Jason
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Part of why I mentioned the Czerny book is that I was assigned to breeze through an easy one left over from years ago.

I looked through the Saint-Saens Etudes thinking that they would be a tool to bridge the gap between my current technique and the technique I would need to properly deal with the Liszt Etudes and other pieces of similar technical requirements which I love. They, unlike any other etudes I had looked at, seem to fill that gap, and I was hoping that someone who had experience which the Saint-Saens etudes and those of higher level such as Liszt's Etudes might be able to comment on the feasibility of such a path.

Amateur Pianist, Scriabin Enthusiast, and Octave Demon
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
late Scriabin etudes allow you to concentrate on technical aspects you can't seem to find in the rest of the etude repertory. Then again, I guess there's not a whole lot of material you can apply them to either! (except other later Scriabin of course)

B
B
I've only played Czerny and Chopin etudes, and I think I need to branch out. The Czerny are quick to learn (I practice only 4-6 hrs a week) because there is only 1 or 2 configurations, and the keys are usually very basic (unfortunately). They seem to be good for finger dexterity, fluidity, evenness. But I think I need some etudes more focused on the arm and wrist. Some of the Chopin would be good for this, but not sure what else.

------------------------------------
Bryan
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
What do people think about Bach's 2 and 3 part Inventions and the WTC for technique building?

Sophia

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
my teacher said that Chopin's Etudes are something every pianist must know. I'm still learning to stretch my hands out so that I can play octaves easily and my teacher said that eventually she wants me to learn all of his etudes.

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Besides that, I am currently learning 2 of Chopin's Etudes and I find that they are so many things that can be learned from those.

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
B
B
Originally posted by Amelialw:
... my teacher said that eventually she wants me to learn all of his etudes.

------------------------------------
Bryan
Do you guys start Chopin Etudes and then it takes you like forever to finish them? My teacher once suggested the one in Fm. I feel like I'm not at the level to play them, but at the same time they're studies... so where should you be before starting his etudes? Or do you think it matters?

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
well, what is your level/grade now? Yeah sometimes it feels like it takes me forever to finish them especially my Chopin Etude in F major. If your teacher suggested it, it means that you probably are ready for it, the f minor one is the easiest between Op.10&Op.25. Before you start his etudes your technique should be well done and stable.

I'm really not sure what level I am. On an 8 scale I'd say a 4 or 5. I did a Chopin Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2, and a Haydn sonata 1st movement (not sure the number) in B minor and now I'm working on Hindemith's piano sonata no. 2 1st movement. Those were over the past few semesters (they were my exam pieces plus a jazz tune and technique).

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
your standard would be around Grade 10 RCM. You should be ready for Chopin's Etude in f minor.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Etudes can sometimes go beyond the tactile...

I studied Ligeti's Second etude of Book 1, cordes a vide. I would consider it a rhythmic etude (it has very little technical challenge). I benefitted tremendously from it! Through that etude, I learned how to figure out polyrhythms without the help of my teacher. Rhythms like 7 against 8 etc. Now if Beethoven has one of his little odd 3 against 4 sections I apply what I have learned. In fact, I just used it today in Bach's 6th partita.

The same with Messiaen's rhythmic etudes, which I studied casually.

The mind, like the hands, must sometimes act as a machine... and we need etudes for that muscle as well.

"Beauty is unbearable, drives us to despair, offering us for a minute the glimpse of an eternity that we should like to stretch out over the whole of time."

-Albert Camus,

Jim
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Amelialw:
your standard would be around Grade 10 RCM. You should be ready for Chopin's Etude in f minor.
There are three Etudes in f minor: Op. 10 No. 9, Op. 25 No. 2 and the first of the "Trois Nouvelles Etudes."

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yeah, which one in F minor? I did the 10/9, and if you don't use the right technique for the LH, it *will* take you forever because you struggle with the 6-note groups instead of using this pivoting technique that will feel new to you (I suppose this is what you are supposed to learn from this particular etude, but it took me awhile to realize it!)

25/2 doesn't have much in the way of new technique, aside from a heck of a lot of fast 3 over 2.

I don't know much about the Nouvelles Etudes

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission