2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brennbaer, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MAK Offline OP
OP Offline
I have noticed that there are several choices in sheet music for Pictures at an Exhibition. Can anyone recommend one above the others? I am an advanced intermediate player and still appreciate fingering, clear printing, nice paper, etc. Thank you in advance.

Michael

Bosendorfer 175
80k Offline
The Henle gets a lot of praise. I have considered picking it up, although I am totally happy with my Schirmer edition.

The Schirmer is the original score as written by Mussorgsky. There are no fingerings, although I like figuring out the fingerings myself anyway. Other than that, it has the clear printing and decent enough paper, and it's available for 10 dollars.

I also have the Horowitz transcription thanks to Valarking. In certain areas, his embellishments really add significant difficulty to an already challenging piece. I only recommend using it if you have the original score handy.

A
Aki Offline
A
Can anybody please give me the approximate level difficulty of this whole suite? Thanks, I want to learn it.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
A few of the pictures are tough, but most are very accessable. If you've been playing for a couple of years you can probably play all of the pictures and promenades but two. It's one of the great piano pieces in my opinion.

It's probably available free online as well. Some of the pictures are available here . No harm in trying it out.

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
I would say that most of the pictures are not at all easy and at least half are for professional level pianists only. Very few are feasible for those that have studied only a couple of years.

I've played a few of the movements and siteread most of the others. Its actually not as hard as it sounds. Most of the movements are intermediate level. The Promenade and the Great Gate at Kiev are easier than that.

I agree with pianoloverus. I play around an ABRSM grade 6 (more than a couple of years playing) and can handle only a few of the pictures, although as gryphon said there's no harm (and in this case a lot of fun) trying them out.

IMHO the easiest picture is "The Old Castle", so you might want to start there. The various "Promenades" are probably next, followed by "Bydlos" and the "Great Gate of Kiev" (Kiev is about the upper limit of my present ability). "Gnomus", "Limoges", "Baba Yaga", etc. are well beyond me at this time...

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by 80k:

I also have the Horowitz transcription thanks to Valarking.
This has been published? Who transcribed the transcription? I understand that Horowitz never published his transcriptions.

80k Offline
It's fun going through and playing a few passages. You can start off with the opening promenade. If Gnomus is too hard (i'm just starting to look at it myself), the Old Castle and Bydlo and the surrounding promenades are fairly easy. The Old Castle is deceptively tough... you can get the fingerings and notes down in a couple of days, but getting the voicings and feeling right can require some serious concentration. I'm still struggling on a few areas, trying to make them convincing.

Originally posted by Christopher James Quinn:
Originally posted by 80k:
[b]
I also have the Horowitz transcription thanks to Valarking.
This has been published? Who transcribed the transcription? I understand that Horowitz never published his transcriptions. [/b]
Valarking had it on his site. He can get it to you, and if he is ok with me passing it around, I can email you the pdf files.

Originally posted by mikewu99:
I agree with pianoloverus. I play around an ABRSM grade 6 (more than a couple of years playing) and can handle only a few of the pictures, although as gryphon said there's no harm (and in this case a lot of fun) trying them out.

IMHO the easiest picture is "The Old Castle", so you might want to start there. The various "Promenades" are probably next, followed by "Bydlos" and the "Great Gate of Kiev" (Kiev is about the upper limit of my present ability).
And the last pages of The Great Gate also require vituoso technique to play well IMHO.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Most of the pictures are not too bad - I personally think the real tough ones are the Marketplace of Limoges, The Hut of Baba Yaga, and the Great Gate of Kiev. Tuilleries seems a bit awkward, but playable, and the ballet of the unhatched chicks is a little tricky, but overall, I think they're all playable.

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
Originally posted by pianoloverus:
And the last pages of The Great Gate also require vituoso technique to play well IMHO.
Especially the section starting around measure 89 with the RH and LH jumps, if played at anything close to a reasonable tempo...

I've never had any difficulty with the leaps in Kiev. After a bit of practice, they aren't too difficult. I think most of Pictures isn't technically difficult, but I try to make it sound like Ravel's orchestration which is the hard part. It's easier if you've played other pieces with big leaps. Otherwise, this movement probably isn't the best place to start. smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ya, I have the Horowitz version.
http://horowitzscores.tripod.com

Or just email me at valarking@gmail.com if the site is down.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by valarking:
Ya, I have the Horowitz version.
http://horowitzscores.tripod.com

Or just email me at valarking@gmail.com if the site is down.
Wow, thanks fo that!

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission