2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
some time ago i have composed a little piano piece. its very simple and not so hard to play. if you have any ideas to make it sound better (the left hand i pretty boring...) than please feel free to edit my first music sheet.

http://ardiem.sunsonic.de/eden/wp-content/uploads/thinking-of-you.pdf

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The thing that immediately catches my eye in Cultor's piece is that the rhythmic motif in each of the measures is identical (except for mm. 5 and 9, which start with a half note rest).

And that there are fairly large jumps.

W
W
Privyet!

Hey good idea to discuss our pieces Sam (what did you think of the dance by the way, did i ruin it?) -

Waltz:
I worked out the reccurance of each interval in the melody only:

no int - 5
min 2 - 18 times
maj 2 - 2 times
min 3 - 5 times
maj 3 - 3 times
per 4 - 2 times
aug 4 - none
per 5 - none
min 6 - none
maj 6 - 2 times
min 7 - none
maj 7 - 5 times

Listening to my own recording I noticed I invented my own pause at the end of the 2nd time the phrase repeats, whoops.

I'm currently looking at Ted's Bravura study and I had a glance at ardiem's piece; can anyone tell me what this piece reminds me of (particularly bars 17-19 and 21-23), I've got a feeling it's in a pop song or something...

ps Sam how do you get an image in your post like that - I'd like to put a bar or 2 in my P&Fs thread

hey will!
im sorry but i dont know. my brother taught me some first chords and i just played along when i was sad... well, i just had to write the notes down and *tada* my first piece was finished!

by the way, i LOVE your recording of "Impromptu"! its a very nice piece and you've played it in an AWESOME way! you definetly have to record it again with better quality.

9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Will335:
(what did you think of the dance by the way, did i ruin it?) -
No, you didn't ruin it! Sounds great!

A few ideas: the octave C's, transition to the 2nd part, you played very abruptly and loudly -- which is fine -- I imagine it as more of a transition, perhaps more lightly. Also, the 2nd part sounds very choppy in the left hand -- again, maybe a little lighter touch, and accent (or "unaccent"?) either the first beat or the second, but not both (either one, but consistantly so that it creates a cotnrapuntal bass line). I imagine it being a very light dance, especially in the middle; though maybe heavier in the beginning for contrast.

Great job, though, I love hearing you play it; and I'm glad you liked playing it, too! My biggest fear when posting my music is, "Will they like it?" :p

Sam
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
ps Sam how do you get an image in your post like that - I'd like to put a bar or 2 in my P&Fs thread
Code
 [img]url for the image you want to post[/img] 

Sam
W
W
It reminds me of this pop song from the 90s it's got bells in it, pet shop boys or something? Help me someone...

I had a go at playing your piece, I didn't change anything or ruin it like I have a very bad tendancy to do with people's pieces - playing that 5/8 bit was hard enough!

Thinking of you
http://www.box.net/shared/mz8z7bzont

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Note: You can upload images to the forum with the "file uploader", although I never know where to find it. There should be a link to that thing on the forum pages.

yo will!

you interpretation is awesome. its cool to hear someone else playing "my song" smile haha thank you very much i am enjoying your recording right now!!

i have a question about your "impromptu"-recording:

at bars 7-8 you play a little different like the sheet reads. but im not able to hear it/play it like you. would you please tell me? smile

thanks!

W
W
The score shows a trill on the first chord of bar 8 - it just happens to be my choice at the time of recording it; I put a kind-of mordent before the beat c,d,c with the 2nd c landing on the 1st beat. Glad you enjoyed the interpretation, I enjoyed playing it - pieces like yours greatly improve my reading Thanks!

W
W
Ted!

I just can't play your study (!!!) - before, when I was reading it, after a few times I could play it safely at about adagio but now, I've basically learnt the notes and I'm looking at my hands but as soon as I try to record it I completely screw it up (perhaps I should go with the idea of this thread and just post an attempt but I don't want to embarrass myself). By the time I can play your piece, i'll have learnt 48 preludes and fugues!

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Don't worry, Will. I was very taken with your different interpretations of Ellen and Blackcurrant. Some pieces do not suit some people.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley
L
L
Hey, Will, thank you for playing my piece!!
I can hardly describe this cool feeling hearing someoneelse playing one's own composition.
"It made my day" - same here, too! wink

It's no problem with the alterations, it was interesting to listen to them.
The c-d-c trill was exactly how I keep playing it, although (as you already thought) I usually prefer the whole piece more slowly., but I don't care too much about tempos and their maintenance in it myself.
Sam, originally I din't think of anything proud like a "royal interruption" wink in the middle section, but you're right, it can be played like this and it's a nice Idea. thumb I thought, it's more like someone, who is lost in thought and maybe a little insecure how to go on.
Or another idea: Someone leaves a room of big amusement for a short while and has to think about the happening for this amusement (and what worse things might be connected to it) for himself more seriously (and not distracted or influenced by others) and then comes back to the conclusion, that everything is ok.
--> and party on etc... wink
A few ideas: at the very bottom line of page 1, have you thought about Ab in the bass instead of A-natural?
Sam and jwjazz,
I had tried the a-, too, but I wanted the a-natural, because it forces the whole passage to go on a little more.
Also, the 4th line of the 2nd page, where I think that trumpet section begins, maybe start that first measure in the right hand on C instead of B?
That would greatly fit to the proud version. smile
I hadn't thought of it. The "advantage" of the B is, that the next Bs would repeat it, which shows the idea of thinking about one special thing (whatever that may be) for a second time already in the next measure. With the A,C-Third there comes the next idea of the person's thinking (or already a first sub-conclusion), which is also repeated with the next A,C-Third.
Thank you, Sam, now you made me think of the particular tones more intense. My next own interpretation must be much better in that way. laugh
Also, I do not understand why you introduce the Bb in the r.h. at the bottom of the 2nd page for so short a time. I think you could work more with it and expand those two measures into a transitional section by repeating the previous measures with the B and then the two with the Bb. Or you could just change the G (below the Bb) to an E. This seems to establish F Major a bit more, which seems needed at a transitional point as this.
Thanks, jwjazz, I'll try it out. I also doubt, if that, what my score shows is a good solution for a connecting passage.

I'm glad, that you liked it, Will and ardiem!

I am planning to record it, too, but I still need some hardware.

Daniel

W
W
Hay Dan, glad you enjoyed the interpretation - it's a good piece. In terms of your piece, I have to say I prefer your idea of someone lost in thought for the middle section - you definitely should keep that first B.

I am so surprised that you want to keep that a natural - the main problem is that on a recording, this section would sound like a mistake even if it's not because you don't have a major/minor 3rd clash anywhere else in the piece - it would stick out like a sore thumb!

As for the small section where you add a Bb for such a short time - I think it sounds ok because the following diminished section interrupts it and the music carries on a different route.

Nice piece well done!

9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by pianojerome:
[Linked Image]
Originally posted by pianojerome:
I see an overall arch in terms of dynamics: the first phrase is marked p (mm. 1-5), the second and third phrases are marked mf (mm. 5-9, 9-12), and the last phrase is marked p (mm. 12-15)

(with extra dynamic marks in between)
Originally posted by mahlzeit:
The thing that immediately catches my eye in Cultor's piece is that the rhythmic motif in each of the measures is identical (except for mm. 5 and 9, which start with a half note rest).

And that there are fairly large jumps.
I worked out the reccurance of each interval in the melody only:

no int - 5
min 2 - 18 times
maj 2 - 2 times
min 3 - 5 times
maj 3 - 3 times
per 4 - 2 times
aug 4 - none
per 5 - none
min 6 - none
maj 6 - 2 times
min 7 - none
maj 7 - 5 times
The first 3 phrases all descend down to Bb -- the last phrase only rises, three times, up 3 octaves.

The first 2 phrases, which are melodically identical, actually rise first -- up a major 7th, and then to the octave -- before descendinig back down. The 3rd phrase is a sort of middle phrase; we expect that the 4th phrase might repeat the original 1st and 2nd phrase melody. It starts to -- it jumps up that big interval, but instead of falling down as before, it repeats itself up and up again.

Sam
W
W
I've got a worrying feeling that this thread is going to wither and die. Maybe we've said enough about the Clown waltz?

Got any good ideas that will boost this thread's popularity Sam?

Meanwhile, I've had some fun with Mahlzeits piece - I don't think it counts as an interpretation, more like an improvisation on the theme.

Southbound

9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Hi Will,

Yes -- your worries are mine. And I've thought, what can I do to bring more interest?

But, it should be so obvious to me -- I don't need to do anything other than what I said I'd do in the beginning: play other members' music, and post recordings. This is what everyone showed so much interest in at the beginning -- and that is what most of us have not yet done!

You're so great to record everything, Will! That's the real spirit of this topic. I'll make some recordings this weekend, and hopefully some others will do so as well.

Let's see what happens then.

Sam
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I am not very good at learning and playing other people's pieces quickly so I am afraid my contribution will have to remain at providing compositions. Mind you, there are dozens more where those came from. It occurs to me that my romantic ones are probably too flamboyant and difficult for this purpose. I shall ferret out a couple of simple ones in other idioms.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Guys, this is the first time I step into this thread .. it is a great idea!!

I listened to the two compositions by Sam .. one by Kreisler .. another one by Cultor

Cultor made me feel lonely. The piece has an impressionistic feel surrounding it. Mystic is a word that describes it.
And I want to know if the last run has any programmatic story behind it? wink

Kreisler made me feel introspective, not melancholy, but just introspection. I noticed how he developed a piece from just small recurring ideas or motifs like this constantly repeating ascending intervals he uses. This is a great compositional technique.

I also noticed the shifts in the harmony. But I want to ask if his piece is more melodic or harmonic in concept (if such a question can be asked, or if this question exists smile )

will, less on the forte here wink

Sam's compositions made me thinking smile
and his dance did sound amazingly eastern, but I can still hear that it does not come from an easterner (will's slower interpretation is better than the faster midi interpretation - he brings a more folkish soul to it)

maybe Sam is influenced by Jewish folklore wink (and being a middle easterner myself, I know and hear some Jewish composers who lived in the beginning of the century - but their music is much more eastern than Sam's) - you can call Sam as the coming fusion between eastern folk and western a la Bartok

Special thanks to will for his great interpretations

Listening to the others soon, I promise

D
D
Hello everybody!
I haven't been on here for quite some time and now just came on and noticed this thread.
I really like the idea, and would very much enjoy hearing someone play my waltz-nocturne I posted some time earlier in the composer's forum, however this thread is kind of big and I couldn't figure out what to do.
Anyway if someone would like to record the piece the sheet music can be found here.

Sorry for (perhaps) posting in the wrong place or at the wrong time.

Daniel

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission