2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Cominut, Animisha, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,210 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#343905 12/19/07 06:31 PM
T
Tavner Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Just finished Kevin Bazzana's new bio of Ervin Nyiregyhazi entitled "Lost Genius". What an eccentric. You can't make up stuff any more bizarre than what you read in this book. Once I started it I couldn't put it down. Talk about a case of "what if.......". The guy was a genuine prodigy, but fell apart when he came to the US in the 1920's. A string of bad managers, bad decisions in his personal life (he had 10 wives!), and alcoholism et al., contributed to his downfall.

But, Nyiregyhazi apparently had a spectacular technique. He championed Liszt throughout his life to the detriment of his career. He tried to program Liszt too much too often apparently. There's a recent reissue of one of his few recordings which I've ordered. Unfortunately, his recordings in the 1970's were disappointing because his playing had deteriorated so much by then.

Tavner
#343906 12/19/07 07:26 PM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
If a pianist plays in a forest where no one can hear him, is he playing at all?

Semipro Tech
#343907 12/19/07 11:31 PM
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
He once had a recording session scheduled with my piano coach's brother-in-law. Ervin showed up totally sloshed and continued to get moreso throughout the event. Needless to say, the whole event was a complete rout. Self-Destruction 101...

#343908 12/20/07 04:46 AM
R
R
Just as with pop stars the real contributions come from talented people who fulfill three more requirements:
1) mentally stable
2) hard working
3) socially enough skilled

Robert Kenessy

.. it seems to me that the inherent nature [of the piano tone] becomes really expressive only by means of the present tendency to use the piano as a percussion instrument - Béla Bartók, early 1927.
#343909 12/20/07 05:38 AM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
What's wrong with having ten wives? In a troop of gorillas, the strongest male will mate with all the females, and the other males will mate with none. Perhaps we would have better pianists if brilliant pianists were more liberal as well.

#343910 12/21/07 02:20 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Antonius Hamus:
What's wrong with having ten wives? In a troop of gorillas, the strongest male will mate with all the females, and the other males will mate with none.
Nyiregyhazi would hardly have qualified as the strongest (outside of his fortissimo playing). He wound up sponging off of most of his wives, some of whom married him out of pity. An exception was his ninth wife, who he virtually rescued from a nursing home. It was her illness which compelled him to concertize in 1973--to raise money for an operation.

Self-Destruction 101 is a good way of summarizing N's life story. He had amazing talent, was spoiled rotten as a kid, and never learned the ability to work well with others. An extremely passive personality, he didn't have the drive it takes to build a career. Even when provided the means to revive his career and given a piano, he lacked the committment to practice.

A fascinating and tragic story.

Hank Drake

Admin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VladimirHorowitzPianist

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell
#343911 12/21/07 07:59 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
You will occasionally run into someone who has a gift that seems sent from heaven, and who needs only the usual amount of energy and discipline to really amount to something. And even though that kind of needed organization and drive seems to be the most common of human abilities, they are so totally lacking in the ability to use the rare talent they have, that they amount to nothing.

They may end up living off handouts from others. I've seen this perhaps twice. It's sad.

With regard to ten wives, the grandfather of a classmate of mine had had nine. I was at my friend's wedding, and he introduced me to his grandfather. I said what seemed to me to be the most natural thing to say* "I understand you've had nine wives." Instantly my friend and his grandfather responded in unison, very loudly, "NO. THREE. THREE," because, as I later found out, the current wife didn't know about six of them.

*Others have told me this is a very impolite thing to say. Even if I had known that then, I'd still have asked the question, because it produced a great story.

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission