2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Craig Hair, Cheeeeee, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 4 invisible), 1,269 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Norbert, are you suggesting that Yamaha and Steinway make business decisions without regard to quality?

Is this how you think they have taken their leadership positions in the market? By disregarding quality?

Interesting Theory.
Taking the leadership position is a branding proposition that could be built on quality or price or a good marketing slogan (who wouldn't aspire to driving "The Standard of the World?), or a good spokesmodel (unfortunately that one didn't work for Taco Bell)

Then maintaining that position becomes more a situation of selling more widgets than the widgetmaker down the street.

Easier if you outsource the widgets and sell them under another name so that the original brand doesn't get diluted except to the cogniscenti who know that A and B are the same "corporate family." (Does the average consumer in the showroom know/care about the relationship between Kohler and Knabe?)

In that case, from the boardroom, who cares if Essex is a high quality piano or not, as long as we sell a bunch of them.

If Steinway (for example) "owns" the high-end market, why should they worry about building low-end pianos except to make money by cannibalizing sales from competitors in that market?

Inspiration is the act of pulling a chair up to the writing desk.
Pramberger JP-185 (a 6'1" mahogany-red Grand)+ Glenn Gould-ish piano chair (no cushion)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Norbert, are you suggesting that Yamaha and Steinway make business decisions without regard to quality?

Is this how you think they have taken their leadership positions in the market? By disregarding quality?
Not at all.

In fact both Steinway and Yamaha have gained their position in the market long before ever becoming involved with Pearl River in China.

Would one be out of line to say that their previous attempts to have some pianos built such as the Ottostein and Yamaha's discontinued line of Eterna pianos,weren't exactly at the pinnacle of this manufacturer's quality?

And if the Steinway's licensed line of Essex pianos has lifted the quality of Pearl River's own pianos onto another level - and it is entirely possible they have - it would be nice to learn where and in which regard.

Also since Yamaha itself doesn't seem to mention much about their involvement with Pearl River on their part, it would certainly be interesting to learn from a Pearl River rep what exactly the company is building for Yamaha today and at this time.

It must be pretty major, considering the name of Yamaha is constantly being used in Pearl River sales presentations.

No links to this effect included - but certainly *could*....

Norbert

D
D
Norbert

Steinway and Yamaha did built their reputations long before working with Pearl River. True. Did anyone suggest different??? See Norbert, this is another example of you trying to manipulate the innocent reader.

1. You are correct that Yamaha Corporation of America, a customer of Yamaha, does not tout the joint venture factory our two companies own and operate together. They do not import pianos from this Factory, so why should they talk it up?

If a salesperson in your market is lying about the relationship, embellishing it etc.., be specific and name him/her and what they are saying. I ask you yet again to stop being deceptive through your blanket statements about what salespeople say about our products.

You do not hear what salespeople are "constantly" saying... you are a retailer in Surrey, BC. (Although on your website you were caliming to be a wholesaler for your product lines, is this true? Which lines are you a wholesaler for?)

All you know is what you hear third party, and over the internet. Good, honest salespeople don't seem to have many stories relayed about them on the internet.

What salespeople are taught about the relationship by our reps and our company is simple. It is that Pearl River and Yamaha operate a jointly owned factory in GuangZhou, (pronounced quon-joe)China, where they build (assemble) several models of pianos for Yamaha which are not sold in the USA, and they also build the UP125M1 and UP126R models for Pearl River & Ritmuller, which are sold internationally and are imported to the USA for our dealers.

Thats it. If people draw other conclusions from the fact that our two companies have been working together in this joint venture for over 10 years now in the same city as our main plant, I would understand why, but is not at our urging or from our teaching. I don't see it a far fetched concept that Pearl River would learn from working with Yamaha and Steinway, ... do you?

2. You make the suggestion that we think our pianos have been "elevated to a new level" by our relationship with Steinway. Where did this come from? Do not put words in my mouth or others'. YOU said this, not us.

From my perspective, I am pleased that Pearl River was chosen by Steinway to build Essex pianos, which have been very well received by Steinway dealers. Also, know that some Essex models are by Young Chang.

The real problem with Norbert, is that Norbert knows all of this and continues to try to give the illusion that he does not.

He tries to paint this picture for his own personal benefit because of his proximity to and competitive difficulty with a very strong Pearl River dealer in his market. This is what Norbert WONT TELL YOU, because it would diminish his posts if he was up front about this fact in each of them.

David Rooksby
GW Distribution LLC
D.S.M., Pearl River & Ritmuller Pianos
Western USA
www.pearlriverusa.com
K
K
2. You make the suggestion that we think our pianos have been "elevated to a new level" by our relationship with Steinway. Where did this come from? Do not put words in my mouth or others'. YOU said this, not us.
Dave
As a salesman who sells both PR and Yamaha I must say we do use the working relationship of PR and Steinway to indicate Pearl River is a builder of quality pianos trusted by the premier brands in the industry. Not that it makes the PR branded pianos better. Only that they are trusted to build pianos that won't fall apart for other reputable makers who have much more to lose in the event the quality is not in line with what people expect for the additional money paid for the name. Are we wrong to quietly assume the Essex branded piano is made from better parts and more care then the PR brand and its only labor they both share?

(Now if only Steinway would put their name front and center on the fall boards like Yamaha does on ALL their lines)

Piano, pro audio,guitar and MI sales.
Yamaha, Pearl River, Bergmann, Remington.
D
D
Kingfrog:

What you wrote illustrates my point I hope.
This is in my opinion is an honest way to present the information.

I have seen the Essex pianos that Pearl River makes at two of my dealers' stores, and they are indeed different pianos than ours. They are different scales, different back assembly, cabinets, etc..., and are more money than Pearl Rivers.

David Rooksby
GW Distribution LLC
D.S.M., Pearl River & Ritmuller Pianos
Western USA
www.pearlriverusa.com
Steinway to indicate Pearl River is a builder of quality pianos trusted by the premier brands in the industry. Not that it makes the PR branded pianos better.
Thank you for the clarification.

I have seen the Essex pianos that Pearl River makes at two of my dealers' stores, and they are indeed different pianos than ours.
Thank you,too.

Norbert tries to paint this picture for his own personal benefit because of his proximity to and competitive difficulty with a very strong Pearl River dealer in his market.
You gotta be kidding.

O.K. - so our used piano market is down a bit....

Norbert laugh

H
OP Offline
H
Okay guys, should I go with Otto Meister or a Steigerman?

Why not also a 6' Pearl River grand?

As long as you happen to like any piano for what it is as a musical instrument,the choice is yours.

Regardless of story....

Norbert smile

ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Harleysdad,

Pick the piano that sounds the best to you. You seemed to have looked at a lot of pianos in a particular range- what do you think?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission