2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
OP Offline
H
Help me decide please. I can get a 5'5" Peral River or a 6'1" Otto Meister around the same price. Otto may be abit more. Actually, I can get the Otto for $7000.00. Which way should I go?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Two questions:

1. Which one do YOU like better?

2. Which dealer will do a better job of prepping the piano for you?

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
H
OP Offline
H
I am new to the piano world. I think I like the the sound of the 6'1" Otto Meister over the Peral River. I think the prepping of the piano would also be the Otto. I guess I am just worried about the build and the components of the two.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Jolly's right on both counts, in my opinion: build quality is not going to be the deciding factor here, as that playing field is level in respect to both pianos.

My subjective opinion is, that if both pianos are sufficiently prepped and in tune, you'll find the Meister preferable.

Not only because it's a bigger piano, and consequently has the potential for a scale design that takes advantage of additional space on the soundboard for longer bass strings and more advantageous bass bridge placement, but because I think other factors like hammer hardness and action design make the Otto Meister more of a pianist's piano.

Pearl River has wider US distribution, and probably better name recognition, but I think it would only give you a very slight advantage relative to resale value, if you are looking at other such factors besides inherent quality, playbility and tone.

Jim Volk
PIANOVATION
Originally posted by Harleysdad:
I am new to the piano world. I think I like the the sound of the 6'1" Otto Meister over the Peral River. I think the prepping of the piano would also be the Otto. I guess I am just worried about the build and the components of the two.
And I think you're smart to do so, since they're both Chinese.

I think the Pearl River may be a bit better in the resale department, but the other piano is bigger, and size does make a difference.

If you have tech you can trust, or you have a friend with a good tech, you may even want to have the tech look at the Otto for you. It's a little unusual for a tech to go over a new piano, but that tech fee may buy you a lot of peace of mind.

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
I think $7000 for the OM seems like a good price/value. I was quoted a price of $8350 (including sales tax) for a 6 foot Bergmann (by YC).

Rickster

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
J
J
go with the otto, after asking the same questions here, ive decided to go with the otto also. I just dont like pearl rivers, mabye for firewood, or a beginner piano?.

my opinion

Jody C Towles
6' Otto Meister.

No question.

Longer piano.....

Norbert

H
OP Offline
H
Thanks for the input. I am going with the Otto. Is there anything special things I should have the paino tech pay special attention to, such as special adjustments,etc.?

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I don't remember where I read this, but the general advice is that when shopping for entry-level grand pianos, to get the biggest piano your space and budget can accommodate. The larger piano gives you more to work with, and you'll benefit more from any additional tech/prep work (voicing, regulation, etc.) you have done after the purchase.

If 6' Otto Meisters are selling for $7-8K, I wonder if they'll bring out a 7' model. Introducing one of those in the ~$10-13K range could really disrupt the market. smile

Colin Dunn
Thanks for the input. I am going with the Otto. Is there anything special things I should have the paino tech pay special attention to, such as special adjustments,etc.?
Have the piano well prepped, tuned and regulated.

This model has a solid spruce soundboard, good hammers and should sound terrific.

[Sorry, not my favourite name......]

An amazing deal, though! thumb

Come back at some later time and tell us how things worked out for you!

Norbert smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
From a piano tech point of view I like dealing with brands that have a U.S. distributor that has a customer service dept. and stocks parts. I know that Pearl River is so in Ontario, CA. I don't not know Otto Meister in this regard. Maybe other can answer.
Certainly Pear River's association with Yamaha and Steinway has given it a leg up in the profile department.

Piano Technician, member Piano Technicians Guild.
Craigen said:

Certainly Pear River's association with Yamaha and Steinway has given it a leg up in the profile department.
Profile perhaps.

But not necessarily in the 'music' department.

Confident makers always can stand quite well on their own.

My recommendation is always to choose a piano for what it actually *is* -
not because of some story about it.

At the same time Pearl River is playing up the Yamaha connection to their own pianos,I doubt very much that Steinway or Yamaha would appreciate people pointing out the connection of their pianos to Pearl River in reverse - allowing for some kind of a conclusion about the quality of their own pianos as a result of it....

Norbert shocked

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
This week I tickled a "hybrid" Ritmuller/Yamaha vertical (a totally decent piano - I liked it a thousand times better than a "regular" Ritmuller) and it had a little sticker on the front lower side of the keyboard that said something like "Made by Yamaha for Ritmuller."

It didn't look like something the dealer would have added on in the store (like a paper label) but was definitely a transparent sticker w/gold lettering, and not an applique'.

As a consumer I didn't really CARE that it was built by Yamaha (or whatever the deatils of that deal are) but more that it was a darn nice feeling action.

A little pricey though. I wonder if I could have gotten into a Yamaha upright for about the same $ or less.

Inspiration is the act of pulling a chair up to the writing desk.
Pramberger JP-185 (a 6'1" mahogany-red Grand)+ Glenn Gould-ish piano chair (no cushion)
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
The piano is assembled in a Yamaha/Pearl River 'joint venture' facility using Pearl River components. Apparently in China, the piano is sold as a Yamaha.

If there was a substantial difference in action performance of that Ritmuller upright vs other Ritmuller uprights, it is likely because that particular piano had received a bit of attention from the dealers tech, while the others hadn't. (or none of them had been serviced, and that one just happened to show up needing less) That's been our experience in the ones we've sold.

Rich Lindahl
Piano Restorations in Central CT
www.rivervalleypiano.com
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Yes, definitely could have been the floor stock for that dealer. Makes sense that they would fluff up that one, since it was a couple of grand more than the "average" new upright on the floor, competing with the new Kawai prices.

I also noticed that even though I was quite infatuated with the Knabe grands he had, the upright was a "Definite NO" after just a few bars. The action was light as rice paper (to my numb fingers.)

At least they were all in tune smile

Inspiration is the act of pulling a chair up to the writing desk.
Pramberger JP-185 (a 6'1" mahogany-red Grand)+ Glenn Gould-ish piano chair (no cushion)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Norbert,
I agree the piano must stand on its own. My comment about profile would speak to possible resale down the road. This is a common thread amoung threads.

That Yamaha and Steinway both chose to do business with Pearl River instead of others in China must be given some consideration.

My comment about local stateside distributorship support is much more important.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Harleysdad's questions were regarding small grands. How did we digress into discussions about uprights?

That Yamaha and Steinway both chose to do business with Pearl River instead of others in China must be given some consideration.
Fair enough.

But nobody seems to know exactly what the nature of this 'business' is.

It could have been a stricly corporate decision -less to do with presumably "exclusive quality"...

Yamaha, on their side, certainly seems to remain rather nonchalant about their cooperation with Pearl River in China.

Is it perhaps because Yamaha's previous Eterna line of pianos made by P.R. were nothing special to write home about?

In fact, it would be nice to find out what exactly Pearl River is building for Yamaha these days.

From the consumer point of view, it certainly would be mor transparent if a manufacturer restricts its advertising and product description to the very piano he is selling under his own name.

That's all.

Norbert

D
D
Originally posted by Norbert:
Fair enough.

But nobody knows what exactly the 'reasons' were.

They could have been strictly 'corporate' - nothing to do with 'quality'.......

Norbert
Norbert, are you suggesting that Yamaha and Steinway make business decisions without regard to quality?

Is this how you think they have taken their leadership positions in the market? By disregarding quality?

Interesting Theory.

David Rooksby
GW Distribution LLC
D.S.M., Pearl River & Ritmuller Pianos
Western USA
www.pearlriverusa.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission