Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
49 registered members (ando, cagal, dhull100, Dfrankjazz, Charades, Chrispy, AB99, 12 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 622 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
dampp chaser humidity swings #337665 01/04/09 11:57 AM
duncantwo Offline OP
OP Offline
happy new year all---

i got a low-end hygrometer for christmas, due to my regularly removing the one associated with the weather station we have for use in the piano. the two only seem to be +/-5% off from each other, and both have confirmed a pattern i thought i had noticed in the tuning as well:

with the extreme temperature swings we've been having in this part of the country recently---65* for a few days and then down into the high 20s at night a few days later----the house humidity regularly varies between the low 30s to about 50%. even with the dampp chaser constantly running and the piano sometimes covered, i've noticed that on the warmer, damper days, the piano is much sharper than on the others. so i started watching the humidity under the piano. after leaving the hygrometers in several different locations, i have confirmed that the humidity swings between about 40 and 60% on the colder, dryer days, and (perhaps most disturbingly) 60 and 80!!% on the warmer, damper days. i know the dampp chaser cycles to create an average humidity, but i am shocked to see that it varies by about 20%.

for your reference, this is the 'tropical' dampp chaser model, which my dealer always installs on bosies since, he says, they like it a little wetter. also, we have had the crawlspace of the house re-insulated and sealed and replaced all the HVAC ductwork, so there shouldn't be any issues with exterior humidity seeping in.

isn't the dampp chaser supposed to have a humidistat that accounts for the ambient humidity when cycling the humidifier/dehumidifier?

thoughts/suggestions please.

Bösendorfer 214(CS)-495 48311
Yamaha CLP-240
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: dampp chaser humidity swings #337666 01/04/09 12:12 PM
P
Paul Kolodner Offline
P
The job of the DamppChaser is to keep the humidity measured by its humidistat constant. The specs are: humidity should stay in a range of +/- 5% RH. It should be able to do this no matter what the ambient humidity is. If it doesn't, there is a problem. I measure the humidity under my piano with a calibrated data-logging humidity meter, and I observe the humidity to vary rapidly over a +/- 4% range during most of the year, and that's what it's supposed to do. I also measure the room humidity, and I observe that the DC works better when the room humidity is also pretty constant, but it's never really out of spec. I think yours is not working.

Re: dampp chaser humidity swings #337667 01/04/09 12:26 PM
duncantwo Offline OP
OP Offline
Paul,
Thanks for your input. Would my inexpensive hygrometer be THAT off? What brand and model do you use?

Yamaha CLP-240
Re: dampp chaser humidity swings #337668 01/04/09 12:34 PM
D
David-G Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Two thoughts:

1. Where exactly did you place the hygrometer when you had it under the piano? Was is close to the D-C humidistat?

2. My hunch would be that a cheap hygrometer would not be THAT off, in terms of humidity changes. However, you should check that you have it zeroed correctly. This would not of course account for the substantial changes that you observed.

Re: dampp chaser humidity swings #337669 01/04/09 12:41 PM
duncantwo Offline OP
OP Offline
David,

I placed it at several locations under the piano, one of which was very close to the DC's humidistat, and the readings were pretty consistent.

I will check that the hygrometer is zeroed correctly, but I agree that swings of 20% would show up either way.

For now, the RH inside is 47%, and I have unplugged the DC.

Yamaha CLP-240
Re: dampp chaser humidity swings #337670 01/22/09 11:34 AM
duncantwo Offline OP
OP Offline
BUMP!!

I've been out of town for two weeks and arrived home to this unbelievably cold weather. My house humidity hasn't been above 33%, and overnight regularly dips into the 20s.

i've noticed that the opposite side from the control panel, where there is also no dehumidifier rod, is where the swings are worst. for instance, last night that side of the piano was 39-89%. i wonder if i should install a third dehumidifying rod on this side.

Yamaha CLP-240
Re: dampp chaser humidity swings #337671 01/23/09 11:03 AM
radaddict Offline
Originally posted by duncantwo:
BUMP!!

I've been out of town for two weeks and arrived home to this unbelievably cold weather. My house humidity hasn't been above 33%, and overnight regularly dips into the 20s.

i've noticed that the opposite side from the control panel, where there is also no dehumidifier rod, is where the swings are worst. for instance, last night that side of the piano was 39-89%. i wonder if i should install a third dehumidifying rod on this side.
I've been wrestling with this same issue. Not surprising since we are in the same state smile . I've been using a data logger to track the humidity under the piano. During the warmer days, it will rapidly bounce between upper 40s (% RH) to lower 60s and on the colder days low to mid 30s and mid 40s. Over a 2 week period, the average was about 48%. Since it takes awhile for the wood to respond to changes in humidity, I think this is fine.

I have an older DC and the water bucket hangs below the piano and not between the braces since there was not enough room to mount it between the braces as DC suggests. However, since I'm not comfortable with having a heat rod that close to the sound board anyway, I'm happy with this installation (remember, the water bucket has a small heat rod to create moist air and if it's mounted between the braces, it's pretty close to the sound board).

In your case with the humidity bouncing between 39% and 89%, on the surface, that averages to 64% which seems a bit high to me. But unless you're monitoring every minute you don't know how long it's staying around 39% or how long it's staying around 89%. If it's spending more time in the 39% range that will bring the average down and may be exactly where Richard thinks it should be considering his comment that "Bosies like it a little wetter."

You may want to get a data logger so that you can get a more accurate picture of what's going on humidity wise under your piano. You should talk to Richard to get his take on what you're seeing as well (although I suspect that you have already).

Re: dampp chaser humidity swings #337672 01/24/09 06:19 PM
M&HAAdriver Offline
Silver Expires April 2010

Silver member until April 2010
Silver Expires April 2010

Silver member until April 2010
Notwithstanding the accurate comments here about hygrometer accuracy, the DC's success is also dependant on still air. If the air in the room moves around much, it's unlikely DC can keep up with it very well. Just one more good reason to be sure your paino is not near a heat register.

In other threads, an undercover is often recommended to asist with humidity stabilization.

** Bob ** M&H AA 92809 **

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai K18
by J20 - 01/24/20 06:04 PM
What pieces do you think I have the abilities for?
by iaintagreatpianist - 01/24/20 04:02 PM
Free Westwood Felt piano VST
by sleutelbos - 01/24/20 02:20 PM
serious problem with Clavinova clp635
by saeedrff - 01/24/20 02:10 PM
Brahms Op. 21 no 1 for audition
by D959 - 01/24/20 11:40 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics196,491
Posts2,916,767
Members95,719
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission