2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, benkeys, 17 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Q
OP Offline
Q
I was looking to keep my purchase < $4,000. What would be the better buy. a Kawai 607 upright or a Kawai 907. I can get the 607 for $3,500 and the 907 for $5,100.

Despite the improved furniture quality, does the 907 warrant the extra bucks?

First time poster here....I'm a trumpet player and want to learn the piano....but have no idea how to buy one. My whole family will be taking lessons - 2 kids, 2 adults

We want a new one, as craig's list and other local sources have turned up short.

Also looked at story and clark uprights for considerably less. They seem less in quality than the Japanese Kawai's.

Any suggestions?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The 907 is quite a different piano than the 607. The difference is not just in the cabinet, but also in the back structure, scale design, and action.

The 607 is the main console line for Kawai, and is based on the same basic piano design as many other Kawai pianos in that size - the K-18 and 506N models use the same design internally. These are more popular than the 907 because of the lower price and smaller size.

The 907 is based on the UST-9 studio upright, so the back structure is much heavier and stronger. The piano is taller, has a larger soundboard, and longer bass strings than the 607. The 907 now has the Millennium-III action as well, so it is a large step up from the 607.

Whether it's worth the price, though, has everything to do with your tastes and relative sensitivity to tone and touch. If the cabinet fits into your home well, and you can appreciate the tonal differences, then the extra money might be easily worth it.

I like to remind people that, 10 years down the road the extra cost is not likely to be regretted if the piano continues to be the right one for you. Pianos aren't usually bought, consumed, and replaced like many other consumer products, so choosing the one that is really right for you is what will feel best in the long run.

Don Mannino RPT, MPA
Q
OP Offline
Q
Thanks for the insight KawaiDon. How about the Kawai 907 V. the Yamaha P660. Is it just a matter of taste...just flip a coin? Or are there real differences that should be considered. I would prefer a warmer tone for the home. I have read that the Yamaha's tone is brighter and that the Kawai is warmer.

Dear Q56_Monster,

I sold Kawais for many years and liked the 906 (model previous to the 907) a lot. I also like the current P660. I would think either could make you happy. Have the salesperson at each dealership play a piece of music. Close your eyes and listen to the sound. I know it's hard to compare at different dealers with different room acoustics, and different players. If you know a player, drag him along, so he or she can play the same song the same way. But don't rely on his or her opinion alone. We all perceive sound differently, so trust you own ears. Both are good pianos, and because you're a musician, you'll probably end up having a preference. Good luck.

Sincerely,
Jennifer

Co-author of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Buying a Piano. I work for a West Coast dealer that carries Bosendorfer, Schimmel, Vogel, Wm. Knabe, and Yamaha.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Q56,

I'm not qualified to comment on the Yamaha, but you likely already know the distinguishing differences - Kawai is certainly well know for our action design and the use of modern materials to reduce the service needed, and it is generally true that Kawai pianos have a deeper tone quality than many other pianos.

Tone generalizations are not always reliable, though, so if you are seriously interest in the Yamaha, you should try to hear one for yourself. It will keep you from wondering later on, at least.

Don Mannino RPT, MPA

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission