Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
122 registered members (Aimer, AaronSF, b3maniac, astrotoy, Avalanch, aphexdisklavier, beeboss, ando, 36251, AZNpiano, 23 invisible), 3,330 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: How to keep children away from the piano #332986
05/10/08 04:58 AM
05/10/08 04:58 AM
London
Innominato Offline
500 Post Club Member
Innominato  Offline
500 Post Club Member

London
"I think everyone will agree that kids are unpredictable."

I disagree.

We were three brothers, and I have seven cousins. All of them extremely predictable in this respect.

Tales at school of my generation also testimony of how differently children were raised at that age, the idea of "if you can't afford to have it broken it should not be in the house" simply unthinkable.

I remember not being allowed to go alone in the reception room until I had, to the judgement of my parents, the age of reason (say, 5 years, might have been less).

After that, I was allowed and never broke anything, never even thought of doing anything like that.

You see, in those days punishment was swift and, most of all, certain. This made, in our case, punishment unnecessary in the first place.

But mind, with 6 I was already allowed to hold crystal flutes in my hands, or other expensive objects.
Teach your children well.

"The man that hath no music in himself / Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds / Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils." (W.Shakespeare)

Kemble Conservatoire 335025 Walnut Satin
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: How to keep children away from the piano #332987
05/10/08 05:04 AM
05/10/08 05:04 AM
Irvine, CA
Coolkid70 Offline
Coolkid70  Offline

Irvine, CA
I don't really plan to get into a discussion about how to raise or discipline children. But I would like to say that no matter what, it isn't always about breaking things purposely or through misuse. Sometimes kids are just clumsy - or who knows. To say otherwise would be a severe oversimplification of the matter.

And so, your story does illustrate what I really mean, in all seriousness. To keep something away from the kids, you just have to completely isolate it (in your case, your parents put all of the fragile items in the reception room).

Kawai K-3 (2008)
Re: How to keep children away from the piano #332988
05/10/08 06:58 AM
05/10/08 06:58 AM
London
Innominato Offline
500 Post Club Member
Innominato  Offline
500 Post Club Member

London
"Sometimes kids are just clumsy - or who knows".

True, but that's much more true of adults (see the orange juice example above), whilst it is very easy to put things "outside of the reach of children" (an entire reception room, for example.....)

"The man that hath no music in himself / Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds / Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils." (W.Shakespeare)

Kemble Conservatoire 335025 Walnut Satin
Re: How to keep children away from the piano #332989
05/10/08 11:50 AM
05/10/08 11:50 AM
Atlanta
Robert D Offline
Robert D  Offline

Atlanta
God, I love this thread! What a great topic; thank you Jesika_Mesika for reviving it.

So stellabella, what did you end up doing? And how has your Steinway fared over the last 14 months, since you first raised the question in March of 2007? I'm in utter suspense. smile

I'm also in the camp of Innominato et al ideologically, in that no one has the obligation to share any item with the neighborhood children, even if (yes!) it's a PIANO.

And I'm especially in agreement w/TLuvva where practical matters are concerned. If I had 60 grand to spend, I'd take $2000 of it and also buy a decent used vertical for the kids to play / put at risk, because I *would* be one of those few parents (again, the prerogative is mine) who'd want to encourage the neighborhood kids to "find the piano"...

Just not my $50k+ piano.

And no, I wouldn't stick the poor kids on some evil contraption with lousy action. Having been there myself as a kid, I'd see to it that even I could play on it comfortably before I'd turn anyone else loose on it, especially the precious youngsters from down the street.

My kids: different matter anyhow. There I'm in the 'privileges earned' and 'case-by-case basis' camp as far as the $50k+ unit is concerned. Which should be no great/long-lived hardship anyhow, since ultimately I'm either going to be able to trust them with it or I'm not.

Re: How to keep children away from the piano #332990
05/10/08 03:54 PM
05/10/08 03:54 PM
Iowa
PianoPro Offline
PianoPro  Offline

Iowa
The answer is PIT BULLS! laugh

Dennis C.
Piano Store Operator,
Former District Manager,
20 Year Industry Experience

"Tell the truth, honor God, and make money!"
Re: How to keep children away from the piano #332991
05/11/08 10:58 AM
05/11/08 10:58 AM
Grand Rapids Michigan
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Jerry Groot RPT  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Grand Rapids Michigan
Just curious... I'll duck later...

Why is it that some people think kids have more rights that adults do?

Why is it that these same people allow their kids to have more rights than adults do?

Why is that these same people let their kids run through churches like play rooms, houses and stores, playing on items that are not theirs, toys that were never purchased and basically terrorize everything else in sight with no respect for what is NOT theirs?

I would never walk into someone else's home and run right up to their piano and start playing or pounding on it. It is NOT mine. I did NOT ask permission to do so. Now, if I had, and they said, certainly, because, I can play the piano, then by all means, now it is okay.

It seems to me it's a matter of teaching respect for others property. Ask and perhaps you will be allowed to "play" the piano. And, perhaps the answer will be no to which the child should totally and the parent too, respect that decision.

Maybe we don't feel as adults like hearing that noise at this moment in time and would rather talk instead of listen to kids "banging" on it?

Ok, I'm hiding under my bed now. Tell me when it's safe to come back out again. laugh

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Re: How to keep children away from the piano #332992
05/11/08 12:08 PM
05/11/08 12:08 PM
Kansas
D
Debbie57 Offline
Debbie57  Offline
D

Kansas
Jerry,

You are safe from me:). From the time my kids were very small, I could take them anywhere. Antique malls, stores and other people's homes and never worry about them touching things that did not belong to them. A lot of "rules" in our house were non-negotiable, particularly when they were very young and specifically if it was any sort of safety issue. They could not wander off in stores, be out of my visual range outside etc.

Respect is taught at home. I think most parents do...then there are the others. Those amok kids you see in stores catch your attention. The ones behaving well don't draw the eye as quickly. Adding that - at one time or another every parent has had do deal with a child that just fell apart in public.

Debbie

"Do you listen when you play, or do you just put your hands on the keyboard and hope for the best?" Author: Unknown
Re: How to keep children away from the piano #332993
05/11/08 12:37 PM
05/11/08 12:37 PM
P
pragya Offline
pragya  Offline
P

hey
i am plaannin to buy a piano for my 9 yr old daughter and settled on a kawai because of its easy availability. i wanna know how good a company kawai is for pianos especially upright ones

Re: How to keep children away from the piano #332994
05/11/08 06:47 PM
05/11/08 06:47 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan
M
Mat D. Offline
500 Post Club Member
Mat D.  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

Sterling Heights, Michigan
Originally posted by J. Mark:
I'm a big big fan of getting kids into music. My 4 year old has weekly classes at our music conservatory here. Even my 2 yr old plays the harmonica <g>.

However, all this high and mighty talk about letting them on the piano is, well, a bit idealistic, imo.

Kids can wreck a piano in no time.
J. Mark...I agree with you. I teach (taught) my child respect and restraint, but I cannot control what his little friends might do with my prized possession..."little Glenn Goulds" not withstanding. Also, I wouldn't want the added pressure for my son to bear if something were to break on the piano thanks to a 'less than respectful' playmate.

Having said that, my son was always allowed to play any of my musical instruments with my permission (I never denied him), but he did need permission first. Today, he has great respect and love for all musical instruments including his beloved Martin acoustics and John Mayer Stratocaster!!

Mat D.

Re: How to keep children away from the piano #332995
05/11/08 09:42 PM
05/11/08 09:42 PM
J
Jethro Online content
500 Post Club Member
Jethro  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
J

Coolkid70 wrote:
I'm not a parent. However, I've heard many times that "if you can't afford to have it broken, it should not be in the house."
That line also works if a parent wants to drag their kids along to your next house party.

GUEST: "Can I bring little Harry to your party as well?"

ME: "Well, if you can't afford to have it broken..." thumb

Shigeru Kawai SK2 (2019), Kawai RX-2 (2007), Young Chang (1982), Kawai VPC-1 (2019), Yamaha P80 (2001), Korg C-50 (1995) , Roland Juno 1 (1988), Korg Poly 61 (1986), Lowrey Symphonic Holiday (1975)
Re: How to keep children away from the piano #332996
05/13/08 01:50 PM
05/13/08 01:50 PM
Houston, TX
jollyroger Offline
500 Post Club Member
jollyroger  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Houston, TX
A friend of mine once studied with a concert pianist (who has since died), who's name was Ed. He had this cute little dog, who would faithfully listen to Ed for hours on end while he practiced. But a soon as Ed would begin playing a piece by Prokofiev, the dog would abruptly get up and leave the room. True story.

Maybe the same might work on children. Just a passing thought, and of course, just kidding.

I think Monica's advice is spot on (although I'd place item #2 as item #1).

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
Estonia 190 - Serial # 6561
Re: How to keep children away from the piano #332997
05/13/08 02:00 PM
05/13/08 02:00 PM
Irvine, CA
Coolkid70 Offline
Coolkid70  Offline

Irvine, CA
Jethro:

That line also works if a parent wants to drag their kids along to your next house party.

GUEST: "Can I bring little Harry to your party as well?"

ME: "Well, if you can't afford to have it broken..." [Who Me?]
I was actually referring to having your own kids. If you don't have any, I'm sure that anything goes.

Kawai K-3 (2008)
Re: How to keep children away from the piano #332998
05/13/08 11:14 PM
05/13/08 11:14 PM
United States
Z
Zom Offline
Zom  Offline
Z

United States
I'd say just put some covering over the main top part of the piano so they don't scratch it and make sure they know not to ever have liquids near it but other than that....let them play it! I'm glad my parents always let me noodle on it throughout my childhood, even though what I was playing was either total nonsense or some completely simple little riff I'd make up now and then...when I was 17 after having had a few piano lessons I got obsessed and now I think life would be a lot less fun without being able to improvise on the piano every day. Who knows your kids might be like that...so go easy on 'em

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Brass lick
by fatar760. 09/15/19 05:59 PM
Was Rachmaninov really a "triple threat"?
by pianoloverus. 09/15/19 05:31 PM
In ear headphones
by KevinM. 09/15/19 04:16 PM
Using an Institutional Piano at Home?
by navindra. 09/15/19 04:12 PM
Yohan Kim
by pianoloverus. 09/15/19 03:54 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,055
Posts2,869,751
Members94,421
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission