2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 11 invisible), 1,845 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
For those in the Midwest: I just learned that the Costco in Bloomingdale, Illinois (just west of Chicago) is hosting a Yamaha piano "roadshow" Jan. 2-11, 2009. Weird. Does anyone know anything about the pianos sold under this kind of arrangement? We have been looking at new Yamaha U1 uprights, but they are too expensive.

chicagofamily1
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
These are a dealer who has an arrangement with Costco to come in and do a floor show for a cut of any sales. You ar enot necessarily buyimng from Costco, nor will you likely get any better deal than if you went to the dealership direct.

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
This has been discussed at length several times before on the forum. I suggest using the search function above first, then come back with any followup questions.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
When I think of Costco I think of Suzuki pianos, not Yamaha.

Best regards,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
COSTCO sales events are encouraged and even driven by some manufacturers. Often local dealers are given the option to do the event or the mfgr's. team comes in to do the event. A price at these events may or maynot be lower than what your local dealer may do for you. There may be other perks associated with buying locally as well.

I have seen new Porche cars sold at COSTCO. No low stooping about it. Just additional outside exposure.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
When Cosco gets involved, someone else needs to be paid.

Add to this the moving charges and then deduct about 18-20% from price.

Take this price to a local dealer and he will jump to sell you same piano.

Unless his nuts,greedy or both.

In which case he's plain stupid.....

Norbert

Thanks for the insight, Marty. Many of my “piano opinions” were formed based on what I have read here on the PW forums.

Best regards,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Rick,
If Sally has a bag of red apples and all red apples have stems do all the apples in Sallys bag have stems?

laugh laugh laugh

Love your logic!

Mike

WHAT???????
Yamaha S6, U5C, P120
http://michaelstith.com
S
S
Some time in the last year I was in the Costco in Tigard Oregon. There was a 'piano event' going on, and I was stunned to see Boisendorfer and Estonia both displayed.
I told the rep I wasn't in any position to buy, unless he could throw the services of a divorce lawyer in as well as tuning for the first year. He laughed and said he was a piano salesman, not a home wrecker.
I think Costco has done a remarkable job making themselves a venue for a variety of different kinds of goods and services, for consumers, professionals and small businesses. The feel of the whole operation is as different from Walmart as can be.

Nice post, Seneca. Now I can associate Boisendorfer and Estonia pianos with Suzuki pianos at COSTCO. Suzuki pianos seem to be in good company at COSTCO these days. I wonder if some of the Boisendorfer, Estonia, and Yamaha quality will rub off on them. wink laugh

Happy New Year!

Rick

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I was at my local Piggly Wiggly and they were having a Tokai Road Show right next to the hot links and the ribs.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
I think Costco has done a remarkable job making themselves a venue for a variety of different kinds of goods and services, for consumers, professionals and small businesses. The feel of the whole operation is as different from Walmart as can be.
I agree - I like Cosco myself, they got the best German bread here in Canada.... thumb

However, in case of pianos the math would support the thesis that pianos can or at least *should be* available even cheaper directly from a dealer.

Especially concerning high end pianos where volume purchases is not an issue.

Dealer's price minus the 10% or so Cosco charges as commission.

Missed anything?

Norbert

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I buy a lot from Costco, but I reckon I'll pass on Costco pianos. :rolleyes:

My local Costco had a piano sale several years ago. Mostly Yamahas and that sort of thing.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally posted by Norbert:

Missed anything?

Norbert
Yes. As a matter of fact you have.

1. COSTCO is running a high inventory turn, in/out business and their overhead-to-sales ratio is dramatically more favorable than that of a typical piano dealer -- even while paying their employees better wages and benefits than both Wal*Mart and the typical piano dealer; they do not need to make the same "killing" margin per unit sale to still book acceptable financial results.

2. The participating manufacturer and/or dealer can generate additional sales including impulse sales by tapping into:
- the higher floor traffic consisting of a different mix of (often high-disposable income) shoppers than may find their ways to a piano store,
- inherent trust in the COSTCO name,
- consumers' desire to "get their money's worth" from their membership fees,
- consumers' desire for superior terms and conditions such as 100% satisfaction guarantees and full return options and
- shopping experience which requires no distasteful haggling in a moldy-smelling mortuary-like showroom with some shifty guy called Larry, please, call me Larry, who has stains on his tie and something stuck between his teeth and can't seem to remember the same inflated list price of his pianos from visit to visit. laugh

I would not hesitate to recommend someone buying a solid product such as a Yamaha U1 or U3 sight unseen from COSTCO. In fact, I can't think of a more time and energy efficient way to buy a decent piano for a young student at a decent price:

- no having to study the Byzantine workings of the US piano industry by buying a Fine book and spending evenings on self study;
- no need to visit multiple dealers who won't help you on the telephone in order to narrow your selection and try to get an honest price;
- no need for used-car-sales-lot negotiation;
- no need for the gut-wrenching decision process of first time buyers:
* should I trust this store without price tags?
* should I trust this piano without a history or a known brand name?
* how can I tell this is a good choice for Sally and that I am not making a big mistake on a big-ticket purchase?
* what if I don't like the tone of the one they actually deliver to me or we simply change our mind and want our money back?

You get a solid, workhouse piano with warranty from the largest, most successful piano manufacturer in the world with consumer-friendly terms and conditions, an easy, low-risk purchase process and professional service and post-purchase care from a local Yamaha dealer who wants to keep your family as a customer and source of referrals for the next 20 years. For 90% of first time, time-pressured buyers that is superior to buying in a piano store.

J
J
I think the concept is a good one and hopefully it will work. The folks who shop at Costco seem like the exact demographic of people who purchase pianos. Lots of business owners and others with expendable income.

And I would venture to say that the dealers are REALLY lookin to get some sales from these exposures so one could really bargain hard to get a really good deal if you felt up to the task, IMO.

On the mountain of the lord it will be provided.
Wow, nice posts, everyone! I never realized that shopping at COSTCO was such a good experience. I’m not a member of COSTCO, but after reading this thread I might just join. (Not that I have time to do a lot of in-house shopping smile .)

Take care,

Rick

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Rick,

My comment was facetious. If you are inclined to receive it as an insult, think about how your own comments might be received by the many members here who shop Costco and by the few who own Suzuki pianos. Those comments are posted from ignorance if you have no first-hand experience with either.

Just because Suzuki is a forum whipping boy, doesn't mean that you have to put another log on the fire by pulling it into an unrelated discussion. If you do put a log on the fire, don't be surprised if you get singed by a flying spark.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
Now, that is a lot better, turandot. You were lenient with me to start with. I thought you had lost your touch there for a minute.

Happy New Year!

Rick

P.S. To Chicagofamily1: I apologize for getting off on a tangent in your thread.

J
J
Making lots of friends on Piano World Turandot?

Are you this good at making them in real life? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

On the mountain of the lord it will be provided.
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
I wonder ... Is Costco selling pianos? Or are they simply hosting the piano manufacturer (or a dealer) in their store?

If it's the latter, that might be okay.

But if Costco is the retailer, I'd be disinclined to buy there. What kind of piano service could you expect from Costco?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission