2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
66 members (Burkey, anotherscott, Anglagard44, Calavera, accordeur, bwv872, Bill McKaig,RPT, andredatele, 19 invisible), 683 guests, and 457 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Validity of Steinway testimonials
#326867 02/15/05 02:20 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Plays88skey and tcmod,

No need to be secretive about it... there already exist Steinway Societies in a few metropolitan areas. The Greater Princeton Steinway Society even got Ashkenzy to be their honorary chairman! wink

(p.s. There's also a Yamaha 650 society... but the Yamaha 650 refers to a motorcycle model.)

#326868 02/15/05 02:21 PM
J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
Plays, if I'm up in the area at the time of your party can I be invited? Can I? Can I? Can I? I'm Steinway owner wannabe.

#326869 02/15/05 02:23 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
justme,

Absolutely! I think the two of us should play a duet.

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going. - Beverly Sills
#326870 02/15/05 02:25 PM
If you two play a duet, record it please.

#326871 02/15/05 02:25 PM
J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by plays88skeys:
justme,

Absolutely! I think the two of us should play a duet.
uh. maybe not. Unless it's Heart and Soul. laugh

#326872 02/15/05 02:26 PM
J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by ossk8ter:
If you two play a duet, record it please.
uh. How about if we post a pic instead?

#326873 02/15/05 02:31 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
How about if I send you some very simple duets -- you can pick one and we'll have it polished and ready! (I'm not having this party until my renovation is finished...probably late summer)

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going. - Beverly Sills
#326874 02/15/05 02:38 PM
J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by plays88skeys:
How about if I send you some very simple duets -- you can pick one and we'll have it polished and ready! (I'm not having this party until my renovation is finished...probably late summer)
that just might work. We'll be coming up sometime this summer. Just not sure when. Will let you know. Then we can post a recording and a pic. laugh

#326875 02/15/05 02:56 PM
i personally like Steinways. they're mellow-sounding pianos, not too bright, nor too warm [think Kawais]. i fell in love with one in my local recital building, that's about '7 long.
i saw Harry Connick Jr. in concert months ago and he did any and everthing with that piano when he was playing it. it was mind-blowing. he even turned the bass part into 'percussion'.

[Linked Image]
#326876 02/15/05 03:50 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I traded my Mason BB for a rebuilt S&S B about 6 months ago. As good as the BB was, this B exceeds it in all areas of performance. My opinion is shared by several pro pianists very familiar with both instruments.
Having said that, I am sure there are Mason BB's that can smoke my piano.

Fingers

Playing piano at age 2, it was thought that I was some sort of idiot-savant. As it turns out, I'm just an idiot.
#326877 02/15/05 04:42 PM
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
A great Steinway is a real joy.

#326878 02/15/05 05:55 PM
Some of the Steinway's I've known are really superb, others are not. I think that the real reason S&S have gotten such a bad rap here is their totally arogant sales techniques...selling the "image" instead of the instrument. Sales gimicks such as "mystique", regular price increases (whether justified or not) and "investment potential" (which is a total pantload of hype) turns me (and I suspect many others as well) off. Which is a shame...a Steinway can be a superlative instrument...but then so can a Mason, a Bosendorfer, Blechstein or even an Estonia or Petrof. Much like in guitars (which I am more familiar with) the differences between a Martin (my personal favorite), Taylor and Gibson. All are excellent, each is different, but all have a "family" sound. A Mason dosen't sound like a Steinway, which dosen't sound like a Yamaha, which... All are good...all are different.

Bill Daniels
Tucson, AZ
#326879 02/15/05 06:28 PM
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Bill,

That was truly well said.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila., Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Visit our Online Store
The Science Channel documents our piano restoration
#326880 02/15/05 08:26 PM
First the disclaimer -- I play, own and enjoy Steinways.

Second, we're talking about marketing and image here. As mentioned above, these are Ds and at this time Steinway is the strongest at making sure a piano is available whereever the professional is playing. Having a quality piano to play on is important to touring pros. (As a master once said, any accomplished player can play well with a good piano, it's having to play well with one that's not so good that's hard.)

Third, of course the professionals are supporting the Steinway with their comments - however I don't believe they would make such positive comments if they didn't really believe them.

Fourth, Steinway originated the marketing concept of tying a great recreator/musician with the instrument with Anton Rubenstein over 100 years ago

Many would say Steinway is the best -- whatever that means. All should agree Steinway is the best at promoting their product.

2005 Steinway B
#326881 02/15/05 08:38 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I would guess that some of the best pianos in the world are Steinways. The problem is, a huge number of the mediocre pianos in the world are also Steinways. I played one Steinway that I felt was actually worthy of all the hype. But I have experienced many that... ugh. If we are giving advice to would-be piano purchasers, I think we should caution them that since there are so many mediocre Steinways out there, don't judge the piano by name. PLAY IT and compare it against everything else, and try to ignore the name on the fallboard, because it can be deceptive.

#326882 02/15/05 08:41 PM
I
I
One should not be confused or surprised as to the huge reputation and endorsements Steinway has. They make a great piano, and charge accordingly. Steinways have their own unique sound different from the other leading brands. They have THE marketing machine behind them and the money / resources to back it up. Why wouldn't you expect them to dominate the professional and private space?

This doesn't make the other brands a lesser piano nor the pianist that prefers them a lesser pianist. We should all just acknowledge the quality of the Piano as well as the business behind it. Its just the nature of their business model. But if it gets to putting down the individual for their preference for a Piano other then Steinway then there is a problem!

If you are a professional pianist: You have the choices of brand A, B, C, D. Each brand has virtues and minuses. Brand A has world wide support you get a Prepped Piano at everyone of your concerts / recitals anywhere you go. Brand A only asks you play only their brand and also say nice things. Why wouldn't you pick A unless it is truely inferior piano. Until Brand B, C, D step up to competing with similar support. It is only then will you see artists gravitate to other Pianos that might highlight their unique taste/preferences. Till then there will only be one 900lb Gorilla.

Lastly if someone is 'ingnorant' enough to pay for the Steinway for the marketing hype or the belief of investment vs truely appreciating it for the music they can make with it... well its there money being wasted and they are the fool, not us!

#326883 02/15/05 08:42 PM
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Originally posted by seebechstein:
I would guess that some of the best pianos in the world are Steinways. The problem is, a huge number of the mediocre pianos in the world are also Steinways. I played one Steinway that I felt was actually worthy of all the hype. But I have experienced many that... ugh. If we are giving advice to would-be piano purchasers, I think we should caution them that since there are so many mediocre Steinways out there, don't judge the piano by name. PLAY IT and compare it against everything else, and try to ignore the name on the fallboard, because it can be deceptive.
That is really good advice. And while other pianos are more consistant than Steinways, this advice applies to Estonias and Bluthners and Bosendorfers and Mason & Hamlins etc.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
Rebuilding & Sales - vintage and used Steinway, Mason & Hamlin
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Baldwin
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
#326884 02/15/05 10:16 PM
If one would have to rifle through 20 Mercedes Benz to find one outstanding one - few would be sold!

It's nice to know that in the piano world - we're a lot more forgiving!

Not bad folks, after all..... wink

norbert

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
#326885 02/15/05 10:41 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Keith D Kerman:
Originally posted by seebechstein:
[b] I would guess that some of the best pianos in the world are Steinways. The problem is, a huge number of the mediocre pianos in the world are also Steinways. I played one Steinway that I felt was actually worthy of all the hype. But I have experienced many that... ugh. If we are giving advice to would-be piano purchasers, I think we should caution them that since there are so many mediocre Steinways out there, don't judge the piano by name. PLAY IT and compare it against everything else, and try to ignore the name on the fallboard, because it can be deceptive.
That is really good advice. And while other pianos are more consistant than Steinways, this advice applies to Estonias and Bluthners and Bosendorfers and Mason & Hamlins etc. [/b]
Keith, thank you (I think) for setting the record straight.

The problem with the comments by SB as stated above imply that only Steinways can be mediocre pianos. It also implies that you will not find mediocre pianos from other makers and above all it assumes that even if a given piano is mediocre it cannot be brought to a much higher level with proper attention.

I have never defended the way S&S preps pianos at the factory or at many of their dealers. But given the basic design of the piano I would have to believe that with proper prep they are still an excellent piano and far from the mediocre label many like to pin on them while justifying their own purchase.

With all due respect, I don't care if every [insert favorite consistent brand here] ever made comes out of the crate perfectly tuned and regulated. Give me the S&S and a good tech and you can have the [insert favorite consistent brand here].

There are few joys in life greater than the absence of pain.
#326886 02/15/05 10:51 PM
CSG Offline
I like my Korean "Steinway"...

smile

But, if I could swing it, I'd like a nice B even better!

Pramberger JP-185 Bubinga
Kawai CP155
Yamaha P-120
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beginner looking for purchase advice
by savagekeys - 12/05/20 11:21 AM
Fazioli soundboards
by Withindale - 12/05/20 10:08 AM
Practice and resting
by Ubu - 12/05/20 05:25 AM
Strange phenomena....
by piano_primo - 12/05/20 12:55 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,279
Posts3,030,862
Members99,493
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission