Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
70 registered members (AprilE, ando, Agent88, almo82, Anticlock, Baroque Style, 21 invisible), 1,303 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Currier console (or other used) pianos? #325520
11/16/07 07:44 AM
11/16/07 07:44 AM
Indianapolis
A
Ann Lewis Offline OP
Ann Lewis  Offline OP
A

Indianapolis
Hi, I'm new and this is my first post. I'm looking for a piano for the first time in 20 years. I played when I was younger, but since I moved from my mother's home at 18 I haven't owned a piano. I'd like to find one that's decent, sounds nice, that I can learn again to play, and that I can use for lessons for my son. Also, I'm a classical singer, and I'd like it to play well enough so I might practice my singing.

In going through Craig's list, I found this ad for a Currier Console piano:
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/472933901.html

I've contacted the owner and it's still available. I'm afraid I must find a console, since I do not have a larger space for a piano. If this doesn't look good, can you recommend a good brand I could look for in a used piano? I'm afraid at this point (with a new house and all) I cannot afford a new one, or I'd get something a little nicer.

Any help is appreciated!
--Ann

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Currier console (or other used) pianos? #325521
11/16/07 08:57 AM
11/16/07 08:57 AM
Souderton PA
G
Glenn Grafton Offline
Glenn Grafton  Offline
G

Souderton PA
In my experience Currier pianos were at the lower end quality wise. A piano of this quality may need major repairs. Two recommendations.

If you really like the piano hire a piano technician to evaluate it. You can find one the PTG web page.

Second, you would do better to consider spending more for a better quality piano. Personally I'd take a Kawai digital piano - CN21 or CN31 over the Currier in a heartbeat.

Glenn Grafton
Grafton Piano & Organ Co.
Souderton PA
877-GRAFTON (877-472-3866)
Remove "nospam" in email address.
glenn@nospamgraftonpiano.com

Grafton Piano Home Page
Re: Currier console (or other used) pianos? #325522
11/16/07 09:09 AM
11/16/07 09:09 AM
Indianapolis
A
Ann Lewis Offline OP
Ann Lewis  Offline OP
A

Indianapolis
Thank you, Glenn. I'd never considered digital. I've never played one. What would be the advantage of a digital piano over an acoustic?
--Ann

Re: Currier console (or other used) pianos? #325523
11/16/07 09:20 AM
11/16/07 09:20 AM
Indianapolis
A
Ann Lewis Offline OP
Ann Lewis  Offline OP
A

Indianapolis
Actually - this store is in my area (Indianapolis). They have used pianos (acoustic and digital). They are a little more than the console ad, but not by much. I'm afraid I don't know the makers, but I've heard Baldwin and Kimball are decent.

http://www.pianosolutions.net/usedPianos/beginnerPianos.htm

Any thoughts on any of these? If I can help it, I'd rather not go over a $1k...but I might be able to twist my hubby's arm a bit. wink
--Ann

Re: Currier console (or other used) pianos? #325524
11/16/07 09:53 AM
11/16/07 09:53 AM
Maple Grove, MN
GoatRider Offline
GoatRider  Offline

Maple Grove, MN
Big advantage of a digital is you never have to tune it, and they take up even less space. You can also practice late at night with headphones on and not bother the neighbors- probably doesn't matter though if you're going to sing along. They can also record and playback, and can have "accompaniment" modes where it can play the rhythm section. You can also hook it to a computer and other instruments.

Disadvantage is that the touch and tone is never quite there, even on the very best of them. But I've heard the touch and tone might actually be better that a sub-$1000 acoustic.

- Benton Jackson. Permanent piano novice.
Kawai RX-2 #2555861 in Satin Walnut
Kawai ES6
Re: Currier console (or other used) pianos? #325525
11/16/07 10:01 AM
11/16/07 10:01 AM
torrance, CA
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member
turandot  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

torrance, CA
I'm afraid I must find a console, since I do not have a larger space for a piano.
Ann, Unless your walls are less than 48" high, you would be okay with a spinet, console, studio, or full upright.

You store link is to the 'beginner's and starter page' of Piano Solutions. This really means the low-price page, or in this case the spinet page. You'll notice that the spinet price range is lower than the price range of any of their other pages. That's because to most people the spinet has the most limitations on how it plays and sounds. That doesn't mean they are bad pianos. Heck, I lived with one for 20 years and we never had an argument.

I've read great things about this particular store in this forum; so I imagine that with their inventory, their preparation of the pianos, and their warranty, you can find at least one piano that you would like.

If you go the private market route, it will be less convenient. You will have to invest time and a little money for a tech's evaluation before you buy. You may also experience some frustration since seller's opinions of 'excellent condition' vary widely. You will have no guarantee, and you will never be able to compare two pianos in the same setting. However, you will educate yourself on the differences in pianos and in most cases you will save considerably on the price.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
Re: Currier console (or other used) pianos? #325526
11/16/07 11:45 AM
11/16/07 11:45 AM
Indianapolis
A
Ann Lewis Offline OP
Ann Lewis  Offline OP
A

Indianapolis
Originally posted by turandot:
I'm afraid I must find a console, since I do not have a larger space for a piano.
Ann, Unless your walls are less than 48" high, you would be okay with a spinet, console, studio, or full upright.
Well...my only interior wall on the ground floor is a wall to the staircase. You're right, a studio or upright might work as well.

You store link is to the 'beginner's and starter page' of Piano Solutions. This really means the low-price page, or in this case the spinet page. You'll notice that the spinet price range is lower than the price range of any of their other pages. That's because to most people the spinet has the most limitations on how it plays and sounds. That doesn't mean they are bad pianos. Heck, I lived with one for 20 years and we never had an argument.

I've read great things about this particular store in this forum; so I imagine that with their inventory, their preparation of the pianos, and their warranty, you can find at least one piano that you would like.

If you go the private market route, it will be less convenient. You will have to invest time and a little money for a tech's evaluation before you buy. You may also experience some frustration since seller's opinions of 'excellent condition' vary widely. You will have no guarantee, and you will never be able to compare two pianos in the same setting. However, you will educate yourself on the differences in pianos and in most cases you will save considerably on the price.
Thanks for the help! I was wondering about the store. I will probably go look around and try a few pianos out there.

There is a second ad I found on Craig's list for a Story and Clark Upright for $500. The owner tells me that "it was purchased in 1969. It is an upright Story and Clark and has been tuned every year and is in great shape for it's age. I teach classical piano, so I purchased a new grand a few years ago and don't use this one anymore. All of the keys, pedal, etc are in great working order."

I may go look at this one. Any comments on Story and Clark?
--Ann

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Crackling noise when recording digital piano
by Tommm777. 11/13/18 01:01 AM
Summer Camp Opportunity with orchestra
by pianofan1017. 11/13/18 12:47 AM
Pedal noise fix for Garritan CFX
by HCC. 11/13/18 12:34 AM
Hailun - Out of business?
by StevenG. 11/13/18 12:12 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,309
Posts2,760,584
Members91,477
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission