2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
31 members (AndrewJCW, huaidongxi, DSC, bwv543, ChristoVanRensburg, dorfmouse, Calavera, BravoRomeo, accordeur, Jadam, 2 invisible), 434 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
ada d. Offline OP
OP Offline
A
By the way I'm glad I posted here and got many informative replies to my question, I wish I discovered it earlier.

S
S
If brand new U1 is out of price range and no way you can find a used U1 then B3 will be the closet. It will also have better resale value.
For the same price id try to find a lightly used U1 (I keep saying this because it’s very easy to find in North America)
For brand new pianos both b3 and U1 are priced accordingly.
If you have no plan of selling the piano either F.Schimmel or B3 will be fine, and you can’t go wrong. Pick one you like the best.

PLEYEL P124
H
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
H
ada d., your responses reflect a rational, sensible intellect. giving yourself more time might increase your options and opportunities to try other pianos, or clarify things for the ones you're considering now.

as Steven commented, we have a relative abundance of used yamaha uprights here in north amerika. in my experience, the variation between used U-1's is nearly as great as between the different upper tier models of Yamaha uprights. my own very subjective preference, from going years without owning a piano, and being on a budget while maintaining particular preferences, has been to look for value in used pianos. patience might serve you in increasing your options, while your choices in new instruments does not seem likely to diminish further.

safe journeys to you.

A
ada d. Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Steven Y. A.
If brand new U1 is out of price range and no way you can find a used U1 then B3 will be the closet. It will also have better resale value.
For the same price id try to find a lightly used U1 (I keep saying this because it’s very easy to find in North America)
For brand new pianos both b3 and U1 are priced accordingly.
If you have no plan of selling the piano either F.Schimmel or B3 will be fine, and you can’t go wrong. Pick one you like the best.

I will try my best to go for U1 but in case I can't, I will probably get a B3. Thank you for the help!!!

A
ada d. Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by huaidongxi
ada d., your responses reflect a rational, sensible intellect. giving yourself more time might increase your options and opportunities to try other pianos, or clarify things for the ones you're considering now.

as Steven commented, we have a relative abundance of used yamaha uprights here in north amerika. in my experience, the variation between used U-1's is nearly as great as between the different upper tier models of Yamaha uprights. my own very subjective preference, from going years without owning a piano, and being on a budget while maintaining particular preferences, has been to look for value in used pianos. patience might serve you in increasing your options, while your choices in new instruments does not seem likely to diminish further.

safe journeys to you.

I really needed to hear this. Thank you for this very nice written comment!!!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I share my personal experience because I think it is relevant to the OP. My first piano as an adult was a Yamaha U1. It was a very good piano; not new, but very well serviced. I didn't have any issues using it, but as I spent time playing it, I found that I wasn't actually drawn to its sound. I even had it voiced more to my liking.

Working in the business, I had the ability to exchange for a different piano that was to my liking without much cost. The piano I changed to was a May Berlin M121 (selected by Schimmel). It was a lovely piano that suited me very well. No, it was not better than the U1 in all areas, but it had a fine action and tone that made me want to play it. My time at the piano increased and my skill was improving. 5 years later, I also sold it quickly because it was young and good and sounded fantastic. I thought I was getting a grand at the time but my plans changed last minute or I would have kept it.

While a B3 may have better resale value than a Fredolin Schimmel, we've not found the resale of the B-series to be exceptional (whereas I admit in most markets, the resale of the U1 is exceptional). But then if you spent 8 years on a Kawai digital, are you really concerned with near term resale or daily enjoyment. If you're selling the B3, either it's a sad day or it proves that it wasn't the best choice for you in the first place. wink

If you had preferred the B3's tone and touch, then I would recommend that. But in my experience, even a moderate preference for a piano's tone during the audition will ultimately grow as you spend even more time with the piano.

Nothing wrong with taking a little extra time to consider and, if possible, expand your search, but trust your own ears and fingers. In all the posts above, the B3 is regarded as a sensible, fair, but not glowing choice. There aren't as many people who will have played the recent Fredolin Schimmel's who can fairly comment from their personal experience, and Fredolin owners might not be here on this forum to reply. Actually, I don't see a rush of B3 owners here defending their personal choice either...it's a well meaning example of popularity feeding on itself...substituting the known (even if it represents a compromise) for the unknown in the eyes of those that choose to post...not a sampling of B3 and F123 owners.

Trust thyself.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
T
T
Originally Posted by RayR3004
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
Since they are comparably close enough to each other, and given your 8 years of experience, I strongly recommend getting the one you prefer the tone and touch of.

Perfect advice. I agree.

Yup. Find a piano you like. Try it several times on different days in different states of mind/energy levels to see how you feel. If you don't like the ones you try, wait, don't settle. Exploring opportunities is a bit of a process so good luck with the search.

August Förster 116E
Wilhelm Grotrian WGS-116
P
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
Trust thyself.

Wise and insightful post Sam, thanks.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
On-Stage KB9503B Adjustable Height Piano Bench
by TheophilusCarter - 08/12/22 10:15 PM
Cant i identify a piano, need help
by Orisolo - 08/12/22 09:34 PM
1983 Yamaha C7 Concert Grand Piano
by Joshua Lauriston - 08/12/22 05:39 PM
The Fugue, a Form or a Technique ?
by Sidokar - 08/12/22 06:34 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,369
Posts3,215,892
Members106,074
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission